    improve the range and will it attach to the Netgear router? I don't see a way
    to remove the routers attenna. The Hawkins attenna has TNC and SMA connections.

    Neal
    Neal, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Neal

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    If it can not be removed there is nothing too much you can do about it.
    A better Omni Antenna usually does not improve much indoor Wireless.
    A directional Antenna does better, but would restrict the signal to one
    direction.
    However it is all depending on the specific environment.
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Netgear Mr814V2 router that has very limited distance

    capabilities. I
    > can usually only use it from 30 feet away. Would one of the Hawkins

    attennas

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 22, 2005

  3. The documentation accompanying most antennaes indicate with which routers
    they are compatible or have been tested. I'm certain that I read that some
    Netgear routers do not have a removable antenna and therefore an external
    Hawking antenna cannot be used on it. Pity about that :-(

    With that said, I have an older MR814 (v1) which has 6dB removable antenna.
    It's range and signal strength matches my omni-directional Hawking antenna.
    In this case, I'm very happy with this V1 router since it is rock solid and
    super cheap if you can still find them. I'm not expert on the MR814v2 but
    I'd venture to guess there is very little feature difference between the two
    routers except the size.

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    Oliver Saal [MS], Mar 28, 2005