    ....this rejected by his provider...too large.
    Is there a simple way I could split the file - its a 10mb .mov file - into
    say two bits, send them and then my mate could put them together and view?

    peejaa, Apr 3, 2009

  2. peejaa

    peejaa Guest

    Excellent. TVM for comprehensive reply.

    peejaa, Apr 3, 2009

  3. peejaa

    VanguardLH Guest

    peejaa wrote:

    > Tried to send an e-mail message with a large file attachment to a friend
    > ...this rejected by his provider...too large.
    > Is there a simple way I could split the file - its a 10mb .mov file - into
    > say two bits, send them and then my mate could put them together and view?

    E-mail is NOT a file transfer protocol. It wasn't intended or designed
    for that. There is no CRC check on the file to ensure integrity. There
    is no resume to re-retrieve the file if the e-mail download fails.
    There is no guarantee the e-mail will arrive uncorrupted. Stop using
    e-mail to send large files. It is rude to the recipient. Not every
    recipient might want to see your video. Not every recipient has
    high-speed (and really HIGH-speed) broadband Internet access. Many
    users still use slow dial-up access, especially if all they do is
    e-mail. You waste your e-mail provider's disk space and their bandwidth
    to send a huge e-mail. You waste the recipient's e-mail provider disk
    space and bandwidth. You eat up the disk quota for the recipient's
    mailbox (which could render it unusable so further e-mails get rejected
    due to a full mailbox). You irritate users still on dial-up or using
    broadband that is a lot slower than yours to download your huge e-mail.
    Stop being rude.

    Save the file in online storage and send the recipient a URL link the
    file. Your e-mail remains small. It is more likely to arrive. It is
    more likely to be seen. The recipient can decide whether or not and
    when to download your video file. Be polite.

    Your ISP probably allows many gigabytes of online storage for personal
    web pages. Upload your file there and provide a URL link to it. Other
    methods (of using online storage), all free, are:

    http://www.adrive.com/ (50GB max quota, 2GB max file size)
    http://www.driveway.com/ (500MB max file size)
    http://www.filefactory.com/ (300MB max file size)
    http://www.megashares.com/index.php (10GB max file size)
    http://www.rapidupload.com/ (300MB max file size)
    http://www.sendspace.com/ (300MB max file size)
    http://www.spread-it.com/ (500MB max file size)
    http://www.transferbigfiles.com/ (1GB max file size)
    http://zshare.net/ (500MB max file size)
    http://www.zupload.com/ (500MB max file size)

    VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2009
  4. peejaa

    chuckcar Guest

    "peejaa" <> wrote in

    > Tried to send an e-mail message with a large file attachment to a
    > friend ...this rejected by his provider...too large.
    > Is there a simple way I could split the file - its a 10mb .mov file -
    > into say two bits, send them and then my mate could put them together
    > and view?

    You *do* know that your friend doesn't have dial-up for internet right?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 3, 2009
  5. peejaa

    peejaa Guest

    Thanks Richard.
    ========

    peejaa, Apr 3, 2009
  6. peejaa

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:58:04 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >I swear. They say I'm stupid?

    Yes, they do.

    >Sheesh. I must be a frickin genius compared to some then.

    Compared to a carrot? Perhaps.

    VanguardLH said:
    "E-mail is NOT a file transfer protocol."

    >Most all email clients, including OE, can send attachments.
    >The main problem is, one, or both, of the ISP's has a limit as to what
    >can be sent. Therefor, a file splitting utility such as
    >mastersplitter, can split that large file into smaller, acceptable
    >files which can then be easily joined.

    Thanks for restating what about 4 other people have said.

    Evan Platt, Apr 3, 2009
  7. peejaa

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:52:06 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >God are you a frickin fruit cake.
    >Maybe you should be nominated for CENKOC II.

    TARD FIGHT! TARD FIGHT!

    Evan Platt, Apr 3, 2009
  8. peejaa

    VanguardLH Guest

    richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 06:46:27 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>peejaa wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tried to send an e-mail message with a large file attachment to a friend
    >>> ...this rejected by his provider...too large.
    >>> Is there a simple way I could split the file - its a 10mb .mov file - into
    >>> say two bits, send them and then my mate could put them together and view?

    >>E-mail is NOT a file transfer protocol. It wasn't intended or designed
    >>for that. There is no CRC check on the file to ensure integrity. There
    >>is no resume to re-retrieve the file if the e-mail download fails.

    > I swear. They say I'm stupid? Sheesh. I must be a frickin genius
    > compared to some then.
    >
    > An attachment in email has nothing to do with FTP as you are talking
    > about. Most all email clients, including OE, can send attachments.
    > The main problem is, one, or both, of the ISP's has a limit as to what
    > can be sent. Therefor, a file splitting utility such as
    > mastersplitter, can split that large file into smaller, acceptable
    > files which can then be easily joined.

    We already knew that POP and SMTP protocol, MIME encoding, e-mail
    transfer, quotas, and bandwidth were beyond your mental reach.

    VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2009

    www.yousendit.com

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 3, 2009
  10. peejaa

    VanguardLH Guest

    richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:17:46 +0100, "peejaa" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tried to send an e-mail message with a large file attachment to a friend
    >>...this rejected by his provider...too large.
    >>Is there a simple way I could split the file - its a 10mb .mov file - into
    >>say two bits, send them and then my mate could put them together and view?
    >>

    > Mastersplitter
    > www.tomasoft.com
    >
    > It can split the file into any size you want. Your mate can join the
    > parts with the same program. Or you could upload the file to a website
    > and let them get it at will and download in one piece.

    Oh goody. The solution is to dump more software into the brew and by
    both sender and recipient. And, of course, don't mention to the OP that
    there is no guaranteed delivery for e-mail resulting in loss of one of
    those pieces which makes impossible the reconstruction of the file along
    with all the time to regenerate the missing parts, more wasted disk
    space, and more wasted bandwidth.

    Oh, yes, let's not see the OP is posting using OE which can already
    slice up e-mails and posts into multiple e-mails or posts by configuring
    the settings for the account defined in OE. Yes, we already know that
    reading headers in posts is beyond your skills. But then only YOU
    would've come up with a "solution" that has the OP generating a
    multitude of e-mails to send a file using a transfer protocol that was
    never intended for carrying large files.

    VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2009