    any .url that was sent. Does anyone know how I get over this predicament
    please and am able to open all my arttachements. TIA

    ---
    PWB, Jul 5, 2003

  2. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... PWB said:

    > I have just started using outlook 2000 and today I recieved a URL but
    > outlook denied it to me saying it was unsafe i.e. it stripped it clean of
    > any .url that was sent. Does anyone know how I get over this predicament
    > please and am able to open all my arttachements. TIA

    Don't you ever read any of the posts to 24hs.hd?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003

  3. PWB

    PWB Guest

    There isn't a similar function to it I've had a good look. If outlook is my
    firewall it doesn't say anything about it. Idf I can't sort it out I may go
    back to OE as my email client.
    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Errrrr...erm... PWB said:
    >
    > > Yes I've only seen the answer to OE though not outlook.

    > Have you looked through the options on Outlook to see if there is a

    similar

    PWB, Jul 5, 2003
  4. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... PWB said:

    > There isn't a similar function to it I've had a good look. If outlook is my
    > firewall it doesn't say anything about it. Idf I can't sort it out I may go
    > back to OE as my email client.

    I meant to ask if Outpost is your firewall.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  5. PWB

    PWB Guest

    No its Zone Alarm.

    PWB, Jul 5, 2003
  6. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... PWB said:

    > No its Zone Alarm.

    Found this via google, looks like it might be helpful to you.
    http://www.newfreeware.com/internet/396/

    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  7. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > Please turn off the pointless AVG signature. It serves no
    > purpose, and never gets snipped from messages. Thank you.
    >
    > For your problem:
    >
    > OL2000: Cannot Access Attachments
    > http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;318515

    They've got a bloody nerve haven't they?

    Microsoft's solution:-
    Request that the sender post or save the attachment to a file share and send you
    the link to it.
    Request that the sender use a file compression utility that changes the file
    name extension.
    Request that the sender rename the file name extension and send it to you.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  8. PWB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:29:59 +0100, in
    <qSpNa.3998$>
    Brian H¹© scrawled:

    > Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >
    >> Please turn off the pointless AVG signature. It serves no
    >> purpose, and never gets snipped from messages. Thank you.
    >>
    >> For your problem:
    >>
    >> OL2000: Cannot Access Attachments
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;318515
    >>

    >They've got a bloody nerve haven't they?
    >
    >Microsoft's solution:-
    >Request that the sender post or save the attachment to a file share
    >and send you the link to it.
    >Request that the sender use a file compression utility that changes
    >the file name extension.
    >Request that the sender rename the file name extension and send it
    >to you.

    It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2003
  9. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:29:59 +0100, in
    > <qSpNa.3998$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> Please turn off the pointless AVG signature. It serves no
    >>> purpose, and never gets snipped from messages. Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> For your problem:
    >>>
    >>> OL2000: Cannot Access Attachments
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;318515
    >>>

    >> They've got a bloody nerve haven't they?
    >>
    >> Microsoft's solution:-
    >> Request that the sender post or save the attachment to a file share
    >> and send you the link to it.
    >> Request that the sender use a file compression utility that changes
    >> the file name extension.
    >> Request that the sender rename the file name extension and send it
    >> to you.

    > It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    > an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    > it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    > on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    Or they could include the option to choose for yourself as in OE :-S

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  10. PWB

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:40:59 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:29:59 +0100, in
    > <qSpNa.3998$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> Please turn off the pointless AVG signature. It serves no
    >>> purpose, and never gets snipped from messages. Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> For your problem:
    >>>
    >>> OL2000: Cannot Access Attachments
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;318515
    >>>

    >>They've got a bloody nerve haven't they?
    >>
    >>Microsoft's solution:-
    >>Request that the sender post or save the attachment to a file share
    >>and send you the link to it.
    >>Request that the sender use a file compression utility that changes
    >>the file name extension.
    >>Request that the sender rename the file name extension and send it
    >>to you.

    > It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    > an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    > it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    > on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    MS: "Security is our primary concern" <g>

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)
    Jimchip, Jul 5, 2003
  11. PWB

    PWB Guest

    I think I sorted it with Microsofts registry edit , I'll have to wait for an
    arttachement now to see if I cured it. The registry path was there but I had
    to create a new Value in the security because ' Level1Remove wasn't there.

    PWB, Jul 5, 2003
  12. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... PWB said:

    > I think I sorted it with Microsofts registry edit , I'll have to wait for an
    > arttachement now to see if I cured it. The registry path was there but I had
    > to create a new Value in the security because ' Level1Remove wasn't there.

    You should have tried that program I linked you to before playing with your
    registry.

    (snip)
    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  13. PWB

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:45:55 -0000, Jimchip wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:40:59 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:29:59 +0100, in
    >> <qSpNa.3998$>
    >> Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >>>They've got a bloody nerve haven't they?
    >>>
    >>>Microsoft's solution:-
    >>>Request that the sender post or save the attachment to a file share
    >>>and send you the link to it.
    >>>Request that the sender use a file compression utility that changes
    >>>the file name extension.
    >>>Request that the sender rename the file name extension and send it
    >>>to you.

    >> It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    >> an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    >> it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    >> on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    >MS: "Security is our primary concern" <g>

    "I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the same manner that
    fish follow migrating caribou." --Paul Tomblin

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000
    Mara, Jul 5, 2003
  14. PWB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:45:55 -0000, in
    <>
    Jimchip scrawled:

    >On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:40:59 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:29:59 +0100, in
    >> <qSpNa.3998$>
    >> Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >>>They've got a bloody nerve haven't they?
    >>>
    >>>Microsoft's solution:-
    >>>Request that the sender post or save the attachment to a file share
    >>>and send you the link to it.
    >>>Request that the sender use a file compression utility that changes
    >>>the file name extension.
    >>>Request that the sender rename the file name extension and send it
    >>>to you.

    >> It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    >> an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    >> it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    >> on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    >MS: "Security is our primary concern" <g>

    Somebody else passed this on...
    http://www.silicon.com/news/500013/1/4956.html

    --
    "RAV VirusScan - "Linux found: Remove it? (Y/y)""
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2003
  15. PWB

    PWB Guest

    > >> It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    > >> an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    > >> it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    > >> on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    this was only a .url
    PWB, Jul 5, 2003
  16. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:45:55 -0000, in
    > <>
    > Jimchip scrawled:
    >
    >> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:40:59 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:29:59 +0100, in
    >>> <qSpNa.3998$>
    >>> Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >>> It's not so strange, really. I wouldn't want anybody sending me
    >>> an *.exe, *.scr or whatever as an attachment. Much better to send
    >>> it in a .zip file, or rename it so it can't be accidentally clicked
    >>> on. Some mail servers even block unsafe attachment types.

    >> MS: "Security is our primary concern" <g>

    > Somebody else passed this on...
    > http://www.silicon.com/news/500013/1/4956.html

    Confirms it will launch its own product but admits it needs to gain the trust of
    consumers and businesses...

    Microsoft has admitted it must overcome a reputation for poor security in its
    products if it is to successfully move into the anti-virus market.

    Oh dear, Windows Updates every 2 hours.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 5, 2003
  17. PWB

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:56:55 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:45:55 -0000, in
    > <>
    > Jimchip scrawled:

    >>MS: "Security is our primary concern" <g>

    > Somebody else passed this on...
    > http://www.silicon.com/news/500013/1/4956.html

    Run this through your parser:
    "Adler admitted security will be important so as to prevent a potentially
    bizarre situation of Microsoft issuing a vulnerability warning on its own
    anti-virus software, which would then need to automatically download a patch
    and virus protection file from itself."

    Of course, the real deal is:
    "He confirmed that Microsoft?s long-term aim is to bring out its own
    anti-virus product along with a subscription-based automatic update for
    virus protection files..."

    Their new push in everything is subscription-based fee... .Net

    Good link- It had the best MS quotes I'd read since the announcement.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)
    Jimchip, Jul 5, 2003
  18. PWB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:57:27 +0100, in
    <agqNa.4012$>
    PWB scrawled:

    >this was only a .url

    Then the person should have typed the url into the message, rather
    than send it as a .url file attachment. The MS article I posted
    was click-able, but it was not necessary to send it as an attachment.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2003
  19. PWB

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:05:06 -0000, in
    <>
    Jimchip scrawled:

    >On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:56:55 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:45:55 -0000, in
    >> <>
    >> Jimchip scrawled:

    >>>MS: "Security is our primary concern" <g>

    >> Somebody else passed this on...
    >> http://www.silicon.com/news/500013/1/4956.html

    >Run this through your parser:
    >"Adler admitted security will be important so as to prevent a potentially
    >bizarre situation of Microsoft issuing a vulnerability warning on its own
    >anti-virus software, which would then need to automatically download a patch
    >and virus protection file from itself."
    >
    >Of course, the real deal is:
    >"He confirmed that Microsoft?s long-term aim is to bring out its own
    >anti-virus product along with a subscription-based automatic update for
    >virus protection files..."
    >
    >Their new push in everything is subscription-based fee... .Net
    >
    >Good link- It had the best MS quotes I'd read since the announcement.

    I think it's a joke. I wonder how long it will take before the
    MS offering becomes integrated into Windows, like IE. It would
    put a lot of paid-for AV solutions on a thin rope, wouldn't it?

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2003
  20. PWB

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 02:59:17 +0100, in
    > <eiqNa.4013$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:45:55 -0000, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Jimchip scrawled:

    >>> Somebody else passed this on...
    >>> http://www.silicon.com/news/500013/1/4956.html

    >> Confirms it will launch its own product but admits it needs to gain the
    >> trust of consumers and businesses...
    >>
    >> Microsoft has admitted it must overcome a reputation for poor security in its
    >> products if it is to successfully move into the anti-virus market.
    >>
    >> Oh dear, Windows Updates every 2 hours.

    > That would be constant for dial-up users.

    LMAO

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware