    the options in advance - I understand you are living in a not so densely
    populated area yourself?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Tony Sperling

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:23:25 +0200, "Tony Sperling"
    <tony.sperling@db<REMOVE>mail.dk> wrote:

    >Here, in Denmark the Power Service Distributors have started putting
    >Broadband onto their power lines, it just needs 'copper', as I understand.

    Please, do us radio-amateurs a favourite, and do not get into powerlined
    internet. It causes quite a lot of interference on our bands. It should be
    banned all over the world. Just get cable or ADSL :-D

    >I am about to be fed-up with the big city life and may seek out some
    >property out in the big forrests somewhere and would like to gather some of
    >the options in advance - I understand you are living in a not so densely
    >populated area yourself?

    I saw in Australia they offer broadband via satellite. Upload via your
    phone, download via sat. Maybe they offer that in Denmark?

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Oh, I was not aware of any such interference, Jud - I will certainly keep
    this in mind. In the final end I may decide to completely ignore this, of
    course, but in the mean-while, I'll keep this in mind! Good point!

    Yes, I know about satellite, if you can pay you can have almost anything you
    can imagine of course, and wireless is on the 'go' as well, but I have a
    suspicion that these are targeted very much at businesses? Things move
    quickly, though, and I have not followed up on the costs lately.

    I have cable now, but living like that it would be pretty much out of the
    question, in most cases this requires a community that can split the cost of
    having a cable in the first place.

    Yes, satellite would be fine, but what will a subscription amount to, now
    that they are nearly giving away high-speed cable connections (the
    not-quite-broadband-type!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    Hi Tony,

    A couple of years ago, I found a site where I could install a satellite
    antenna without having to cut down any trees. I am about 10 miles from both
    cable and DSL availability and 5 miles from the closest wireless, so for me
    it was 20-22k dial-up or satellite, 3 choices. One like Jud mentioned and 2
    with both directions via dish. No power line available here.
    One has a rolling monthly bandwidth limit and the other a rolling daily.
    The cost is ridiculous as well as the bandwidth, but I like to listen to
    internet radio during part of the day (again satellite radio is okay, but
    not totally) and over the air is useless (too many hills). My current
    service is $70 mo for 375mb daily (425 max any plan) and 1Mbps download
    (actual file download speed of 120 kbps) 200kbps upload. They do have a 3
    hour unlimited, at the moment, download window overnight.
    Incidentally, I love the country and wouldn't move back to the city except
    for health reasons if they should develop. The current 100 mile air
    ambulance ride and closest dialysis center would be impractical for anyone
    with serious heart or kidney problems.

    John Barnes, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Wow! I expected something awfull, and that is not an apparent bargain, but
    it is also not the worst-case scenario after all. Pragmatism has a natural
    starting-point. The download limits are a turn-off, of course - if you want
    to go for a DVD size ISO, how much would that raise your bill?

    The 1Mbps is O.K. (I have 10) though I am mildly surprised at your effective
    speed, I didn't expect it to fall that much with probably not so many
    fighting over the available bandwidth, I guess that low usage in your area
    doesn't mean the satellite isn't busy. The efficiency on my cable is swaying
    violently, I've spent more than six hours downloading a DVD once - on the
    average it would take 1½ hour, but I remember the day XP x64 trial was
    released, suddenly everybody around was logging off, or something, because I
    had that one down and burned within 10 Min. I've only seen something similar
    on one or two other occasions. I pay less than $60 at the current rate, I
    know I will not match that out in the wild.

    Oh, yeah - Internet Radio! I love that too - fortunately Danish Radio has an
    exemplary service in that department - 22 round-the-clock free stations, and
    all of them free of advertising and almost no, or very little talk! Amazing!

    Well, thanks John! There's food for thought - except - the subscription; did
    they deliver the disk and the router with your account? And is that a
    standard router, or a $400 something that nobody else will ever use?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Jud:
    Is that interference "airborne" or mains related?
    Have you tried placing a "line filter" between the wall socket and your radio?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 21, 2007
  7. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    Up front equipment and installation run from $350 to $500 with a commitment
    of 12-24 months. No option for extra bandwidth. One cuts you off for 24
    hours and the other reduces speed to around 100kbps until you reduce your
    rolling monthly allowance by 10%. You can use the 3 hours free each night
    to download quite a bit. The other one you just have to ration your monthly
    allowance and a DVD full would be 1/3 of your months allowance on the $80 mo
    plan, and you would have to be very careful the rest of the month.

    John Barnes, Oct 23, 2007