    same result. Ideas?
    --
    C.R. Krieger
    Motorhead Lawyer, Jan 7, 2005

  2. OK; *aXolotl* was: Atolotl hijacked my Yahoo homepage?

    Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
    > Subject line says it all. I hit 'Home' and the correct address comes
    > up in the box (http://my.yahoo.com) and I'm looking at ********
    > with a bunch of Mozilla selections. Tried linking to it out of my
    > Yahoo mailbox as well as from some other sites, but I keep getting

    the

    ******** = axolotl.mozilla.org
    Motorhead Lawyer, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Motorhead Lawyer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: OK; *aXolotl* was: Atolotl hijacked my Yahoo homepage?

    Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

    > Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
    >
    >>Subject line says it all. I hit 'Home' and the correct address comes
    >>up in the box (http://my.yahoo.com) and I'm looking at ********
    >>with a bunch of Mozilla selections. Tried linking to it out of my
    >>Yahoo mailbox as well as from some other sites, but I keep getting

    > the
    >
    >>same result. Ideas?
    >>--
    >>C.R. Krieger

    > ******** = axolotl.mozilla.org

    Sounds like you are infected by a trojan/hijack program. Clean your system
    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Motorhead Lawyer

    Jowah Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
    >
    >> Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Subject line says it all. I hit 'Home' and the correct address comes
    >>> up in the box (http://my.yahoo.com) and I'm looking at ********
    >>> with a bunch of Mozilla selections. Tried linking to it out of my
    >>> Yahoo mailbox as well as from some other sites, but I keep getting

    >> the
    >>
    >>> same result. Ideas?
    >>> --
    >>> C.R. Krieger

    >> ******** = axolotl.mozilla.org
    >>

    > Sounds like you are infected by a trojan/hijack program. Clean your system

    I agree sounds like you've been hijacked. If you dont have an AV
    installed, try www.trendmicro.com or
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm or
    both.

    J. Kriger
    Jowah, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Re: OK; *aXolotl* was: Atolotl hijacked my Yahoo homepage?

    Jowah wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    > > Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

    > >> ******** = axolotl.mozilla.org
    > >>

    > > Sounds like you are infected by a trojan/hijack program. Clean your

    system

    > I agree sounds like you've been hijacked. If you dont have an AV
    > installed, try www.trendmicro.com or
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

    or
    > both.

    Gentlemen, you were correct. A subtle registry change picked up by
    Spybot S&D. OK; I'm new at this high speed stuff as well as at
    Firefox. I'm running Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and McAfee
    Antivirus. I've never been dumb enough to open unidentifiable or
    unknown email attachments or to allow most Java scripts to run.
    Cookies are usually blocked, too. What am I missing (aside from the
    obvious stuff McAfee wants to sell me.)?

    Finally, I always figured a hijacker would take a home page to
    somewhere that it would benefit him/her. Is there some Mozilla
    guerilla out there trying to torpedo Yahoo (Not that I'm a big fan of
    theirs, but it is a nice 'disposable' email account and you can dump
    lots - by my standards - of viewable stuff there.)? Is there someone
    with one of the Evil Empires (MS, AOL, etc.) doing this to make Mozilla
    look bad?
    > J. Kriger

    Did you misspell your name? =;^)
    --
    C.R. *Krieger*
    Motorhead Lawyer, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Motorhead Lawyer

    Jowah Guest

    Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
    > Jowah wrote:
    >
    >>Moz Champion wrote:

    >>>Sounds like you are infected by a trojan/hijack program. Clean your

    > system
    >
    >>I agree sounds like you've been hijacked. If you dont have an AV
    >>installed, try www.trendmicro.com or
    >>http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

    > or
    >
    >>both.

    > Gentlemen, you were correct. A subtle registry change picked up by
    > Spybot S&D. OK; I'm new at this high speed stuff as well as at
    > Firefox. I'm running Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and McAfee
    > Antivirus. I've never been dumb enough to open unidentifiable or
    > unknown email attachments or to allow most Java scripts to run.
    > Cookies are usually blocked, too. What am I missing (aside from the
    > obvious stuff McAfee wants to sell me.)?
    >
    > Finally, I always figured a hijacker would take a home page to
    > somewhere that it would benefit him/her. Is there some Mozilla
    > guerilla out there trying to torpedo Yahoo (Not that I'm a big fan of
    > theirs, but it is a nice 'disposable' email account and you can dump
    > lots - by my standards - of viewable stuff there.)? Is there someone
    > with one of the Evil Empires (MS, AOL, etc.) doing this to make Mozilla
    > look bad?
    >
    >>J. Kriger

    > Did you misspell your name? =;^)
    > --
    > C.R. *Krieger*

    Sounds like you've got the anti virus/spyware stuff covered. I'm glad
    you were able to fix the problem. BTW...I thought you misspelled yours!
    LOL :)

    J. Kriger
    Jowah, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Re: OK; *aXolotl* was: Atolotl hijacked my Yahoo homepage?

    On 2005-01-10, Motorhead Lawyer <> wrote:

    > Gentlemen, you were correct. A subtle registry change picked up by
    > Spybot S&D. OK; I'm new at this high speed stuff as well as at
    > Firefox. I'm running Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and McAfee
    > Antivirus. I've never been dumb enough to open unidentifiable or
    > unknown email attachments or to allow most Java scripts to run.
    > Cookies are usually blocked, too. What am I missing (aside from the
    > obvious stuff McAfee wants to sell me.)?

    You're running Windows.

    No, really. There's only so much you can do with Windows to make it
    secure; you'll always be playing a catch-up game with the malware dudes.

    I will agree that there may be entirely valid reasons why you might want
    to continue using Windows, but as long as you do you'll have to accept the
    fact that you need to devote a significant amount of money, time, and
    effort in dealing with malware -- either removing it from your system,
    recovering from its adverse effects, or acquiring and using the myriad
    utilities that try to minimize the effect of malware on your system.

    Just be happy that if you ever decide to switch to a more secure plaform,
    you'll still have familiar software to use there.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Motorhead Lawyer

    Tony Raven Guest

    John Thompson wrote:

    > You're running Windows.
    >
    > No, really. There's only so much you can do with Windows to make it
    > secure; you'll always be playing a catch-up game with the malware dudes.
    >
    > I will agree that there may be entirely valid reasons why you might want
    > to continue using Windows, but as long as you do you'll have to accept the
    > fact that you need to devote a significant amount of money, time, and
    > effort in dealing with malware -- either removing it from your system,
    > recovering from its adverse effects, or acquiring and using the myriad
    > utilities that try to minimize the effect of malware on your system.
    >
    > Just be happy that if you ever decide to switch to a more secure plaform,
    > you'll still have familiar software to use there.

    Based on my very positive experiences switching to FF/TB I tried joining
    the Penguinistas but eventually gave up. The first laptop gave a
    totally unreadable screen on install so I couldn't do anything further.
    The other installed OK but failed to pick up the wireless card and
    after a full day of reading and browsing the web I gave up on trying to
    work out how to get the software to recognise it existed!

    I tried some of the more user friendly and laptop friendly versions.
    Someone seriously suggested using Gentoo to get round the problems but I
    don't have the time to do the degree course needed to use it. I am no
    fan of Windows but after my attempts I can see why the Penguins haven't
    taken over the world yet.

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Re: OK; *aXolotl* was: Atolotl hijacked my Yahoo homepage?

    On 2005-01-12, Tony Raven <> wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >> You're running Windows.
    >>
    >> No, really. There's only so much you can do with Windows to make it
    >> secure; you'll always be playing a catch-up game with the malware dudes.

    > Based on my very positive experiences switching to FF/TB I tried joining
    > the Penguinistas but eventually gave up. The first laptop gave a
    > totally unreadable screen on install so I couldn't do anything further.
    > The other installed OK but failed to pick up the wireless card and
    > after a full day of reading and browsing the web I gave up on trying to
    > work out how to get the software to recognise it existed!
    >
    > I tried some of the more user friendly and laptop friendly versions.
    > Someone seriously suggested using Gentoo to get round the problems but I
    > don't have the time to do the degree course needed to use it. I am no
    > fan of Windows but after my attempts I can see why the Penguins haven't
    > taken over the world yet.

    Well, there's always Mac...

    --

    John ()