ATM vs Gigabit Ethernet for Reliability over a WAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ned Hart, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Ned Hart

    Ned Hart Guest

    I posted here a while back because our WAN service provider gave us
    the option of managing our own edge devices. I recently learned a
    little more about our options which are:

    A) Vendor supplies Gigabit ATM for the WAN and gives us Gigabit
    Ethernet handoffs at each of our buildings.

    B) Vendor supplies a Gigabit Ethernet trunk for the WAN ONLY and we
    replace ATM devices with our Cisco Gigabit Ethernet solution for each
    of our buildings.

    I'm concerned with reliability issues if we move away from ATM because
    ATM has rarely given us a problem (twice a year), and when it did it
    was a board that failed and was quickly replaced. According to the
    WAN vendor's technician who visisted me yesterday on something
    unrelated, ATM is more stable and mature than GigE and has built in
    QOS. In addition, he said there were a number of customers who like
    me, had replaced all ATM equipment with GigE for the WAN and that some
    of them even went back to ATM because of reliability issues. He
    seemed to be telling the truth, but at the same time I know he makes a
    living working on the sort of equipment we now lease from his company.
    So, I'd really like to hear from others about ATM vs Gigabit for
    reliability over a WAN.

    We plan to run VOIP, IP based video surveillance, Video conferencing,
    and SMS to push applications over our WAN that connects 1,300 nodes
    and 30 servers over 7 buildings.

    Thanks in advance
    NH

    Ned Hart, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Ned Hart

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I posted here a while back because our WAN service provider gave us
    > the option of managing our own edge devices. I recently learned a
    > little more about our options which are:
    > A) Vendor supplies Gigabit ATM for the WAN and gives us Gigabit
    > Ethernet handoffs at each of our buildings.
    > B) Vendor supplies a Gigabit Ethernet trunk for the WAN ONLY and we
    > replace ATM devices with our Cisco Gigabit Ethernet solution for each
    > of our buildings.
    >
    > I'm concerned with reliability issues if we move away from ATM because
    > ATM has rarely given us a problem (twice a year), and when it did it
    > was a board that failed and was quickly replaced. According to the
    > WAN vendor's technician who visisted me yesterday on something
    > unrelated, ATM is more stable and mature than GigE and has built in
    > QOS. In addition, he said there were a number of customers who like
    > me, had replaced all ATM equipment with GigE for the WAN and that some
    > of them even went back to ATM because of reliability issues. He
    > seemed to be telling the truth, but at the same time I know he makes a
    > living working on the sort of equipment we now lease from his company.
    > So, I'd really like to hear from others about ATM vs Gigabit for
    > reliability over a WAN.
    >
    > We plan to run VOIP, IP based video surveillance, Video conferencing,
    > and SMS to push applications over our WAN that connects 1,300 nodes
    > and 30 servers over 7 buildings.

    In one branch network we have FR over ATM to 1300+ locations. We don't
    see too many issues. We also have GigE going to multiple data centers
    all over the country. We have DWDM handoffs and it goes into GBICs.
    Again, not too many issues. But if QoS is your primary concern, ATM may
    not be a bad platform to stay on. Especially since you're comfortable
    with the technology.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 16, 2004