ATI's new 3870x2.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Jan 22, 2008

  2. thingy

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:18:43 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >".........You've got numbers galore there, and you can see the 3870X2
    >pulling ahead of an 8800Ultra, 14573 to 10676 in 3DMark06...."
    >
    >8800Ultra is $1000....so....hopefully way cheaper...
    >
    >Anybody read Chinese?
    >
    >http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/reviews/0801/1210234.html
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/reviews/0801/1210234_2.html
    >
    >nice pics anyway.....28th Jan should be interesting....(official release).
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    I believe that today is the official release. They brought it
    forward.

    Nighthawk, Jan 23, 2008

  3. thingy

    wrote:

    >".........You've got numbers galore there, and you can see the 3870X2
    >pulling ahead of an 8800Ultra, 14573 to 10676 in 3DMark06...."
    >
    >8800Ultra is $1000....so....hopefully way cheaper...
    >
    >Anybody read Chinese?
    >
    >http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/reviews/0801/1210234.html
    >
    >or
    >
    >http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/reviews/0801/1210234_2.html
    >
    >nice pics anyway.....28th Jan should be interesting....(official release).
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Interesting developments coming:
    http://www.dvhardware.net/article24630.html

    Nighthawk, Jan 23, 2008
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    K,

    I find its length interesting....means the cooling fan's intake should
    be well clear of most other pci[-e] cards (so not restricted which can
    impact air flow dramatically) not near any other hot stuff and near the
    intake fan(s).....and the hot air is pumped straight outside...10/10 for
    a good air flow design...bit pricey for me I expect, but if it elevates
    ATI to Ultra8800 territory at a much lower cost and in a single package,
    Ati could be back in the game...

    fingers crossed....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jan 23, 2008
  5. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > K,
    >
    > I find its length interesting....means the cooling fan's intake should
    > be well clear of most other pci[-e] cards (so not restricted which can
    > impact air flow dramatically) not near any other hot stuff and near
    > the intake fan(s).....and the hot air is pumped straight
    > outside...10/10 for a good air flow design...bit pricey for me I
    > expect, but if it elevates ATI to Ultra8800 territory at a much lower
    > cost and in a single package, Ati could be back in the game...
    >
    > fingers crossed....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATI-Radeon-HD-3870X2-1-GB.html

    A quick 'review'. Length could be a *problem*, it looks even longer than a
    8800GTX. I built a system with one of those for a mate and we had to scrap
    his first choice of case as it wouldn't fit even though the case had
    side-mounted HDDs. (Good job I picked up the parts in person and insisted on
    unwrapping them to check!)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2008
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATI-Radeon-HD-3870X2-1-GB.html
    >
    > A quick 'review'. Length could be a *problem*, it looks even longer than a
    > 8800GTX. I built a system with one of those for a mate and we had to scrap
    > his first choice of case as it wouldn't fit even though the case had
    > side-mounted HDDs. (Good job I picked up the parts in person and insisted on
    > unwrapping them to check!)

    /me wipes droll off keyboard....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jan 24, 2008
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

  8. thingy

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:53:06 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >thingy wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATI-Radeon-HD-3870X2-1-GB.html

    I like the end comments: "For now, this is the best graphics card in
    the entire market and the most complete choice one can get for his/her
    money. As the author of these lines would gladly carry this baby home,
    the award we will give this card is fully deserved."

    I guess it would get somewhat better with mature drivers.

    Nighthawk, Jan 24, 2008
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:53:06 +1300, thingy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:

    > I like the end comments: "For now, this is the best graphics card in
    > the entire market and the most complete choice one can get for his/her
    > money. As the author of these lines would gladly carry this baby home,
    > the award we will give this card is fully deserved."
    >
    > I guess it would get somewhat better with mature drivers.

    My understanding was that the reason for the delayed release was the
    drivers needed a lot of work....

    If you look at the cost of a 3870 its <$380.....so "hopefully" a 2x3870
    is going to be <$650....thats $250 less than an 8800Ultra...

    The days of silly prices (like $1500) for a top end card seem to be
    behind us for now....a competitive ATI should keep it that way...yeh!

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jan 24, 2008
  10. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATI-Radeon-HD-3870X2-1-GB.html

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/23/asus-misses-3870-message
    >
    > which should lead you to,
    >
    > http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/ASUS_EAH3870X2_Photos_&_Specs/5525.html
    >
    > Not so good is the heat stays in the case...

    Agreed. It's all those extra connectors. Personally I'd much rather have
    less connectors and have the hot air blowing out the back of the case. They
    could have put the extra connectors on a seperate bracket, or even an
    "attached bracket", by the fans, making it a three-slot card. Nobody in
    their right mind would use that slot right next to the fans anyway. It would
    restrict them too much. Which pretty much makes these modern two-slot cards
    essentially three-slot cards anyway.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2008