    Does anyone know how much battery usage the ATI X300 uses over the Intel
    integrated GPU?

    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Col. Mustard, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Col. Mustard

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:23:13 +0000, Col. Mustard wrote
    (in article <43f85521$0$30746$>):

    > Due to one of Dells zany promotions, I can actually get a 128Mb X300 version
    > of the Inspiron 6000 I had configured for slightly cheaper than the
    > integrated Intel 900 graphics version I was planning on.
    >
    > Problem is, I don't plan on doing too much 3d gaming and apart from the
    > occasion CAD work - it would likely be overkill for the 1280x800 resolution
    > I was planning. I'm concerned that battery life, temps and fan noise would
    > suffer for no real gain.
    >
    > Does anyone know how much battery usage the ATI X300 uses over the Intel
    > integrated GPU?
    >
    > Any input is greatly appreciated.

    Why the hell
    Are you buying a Dell?
    When for the same price, er
    A Mac is much nicer.
    Margolotta, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Col. Mustard

    Guest

    I cant quantify the difference in battery usage, but battery usage will
    increase slightly.

    However, since the graphics card has its own memory/processor it relies
    less on the system resources. Allowing for CAD program to utilise the
    system resources. This would certainly aid battery life.

    Fan noise, temprature may be inevitable.

    If you want to get more out of your battery then have a look at the
    following link.

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Laptop-Battery-FAQ/browse_thread/thread/2d49c7f96458814d?hl=en

    Hope this helps.

    Regards