    Pricing from ascent.co.nz

    Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    junk out there?
    SchoolTech, Jun 7, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    First of One Guest

    Yes. And given the prices I'd pick the Asus (twice as much RAM) over the
    Gigabyte.

    First of One, Jun 7, 2006

  3. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Looking at a couple of models available in NZ:
    >
    > Asus EAX1600PRO Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 512MB, DDR2, PCIe-16, TV
    > out, DVI Dual head NZ$272
    >

    > Gigabyte GV-RX16P256DE-RH Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 256MB, DDR2,
    > PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire Dual head NZ$275.85
    >
    > Pricing from ascent.co.nz
    >
    > Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    > junk out there?

    I'm guessing your buying this for a wee bit of gaming (yes?).

    Assuming your budget is in the $300 NZD range, and that you'd prefer to
    buy from Ascent (which is entirely understandable), then would not
    something like a 7600GS or 6600GT be a better option?
    Daniel, Jun 7, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Looking at a couple of models available in NZ:
    >
    > Asus EAX1600PRO Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 512MB, DDR2, PCIe-16, TV
    > out, DVI Dual head NZ$272
    >

    > Gigabyte GV-RX16P256DE-RH Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 256MB, DDR2,
    > PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire Dual head NZ$275.85
    >
    > Pricing from ascent.co.nz
    >
    > Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    > junk out there?

    I would be happy with Asus or Gigabyte.....gigabyte actually produced a
    4 sli motherboard months back running 4 graphics cards.....so they are
    serious players to my mind. So I would be happy with Gigabyte as my
    choice as they seem to do hi performing kit and a good price point
    beating Asus so for my myself....Gigabyte.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 7, 2006
  5. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    First of One wrote:
    > Yes. And given the prices I'd pick the Asus (twice as much RAM) over the
    > Gigabyte.

    Good point 512Meg is worth a wee bit more, all else being equal.....

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Jun 7, 2006
  6. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    First of One wrote:
    > Yes. And given the prices I'd pick the Asus (twice as much RAM) over the
    > Gigabyte.

    The additional frame buffer memory is somewhat of a gimmick IMHO.

    Unless he's going to be doing some high resolution FSAA gaming
    (1600x1200 and higher) then 256MB should be fine. Plus if he was going
    to do gaming at those resolutions, he's looking at the wrong card (and
    certainly the wrong price range).
    Daniel, Jun 7, 2006
  7. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    First of One wrote:
    > Yes. And given the prices I'd pick the Asus (twice as much RAM) over the
    > Gigabyte.

    Looking at the Asus and the gigabyte, the extra price of the gigabyte
    seems to be the passive cooling solution, which it is normal to pay
    extra for from what I can determine.....

    From bitter experience over the last 5~6 years a fan on a hi-end
    graphics card cannot actually be replacedd easily, if at all....so I am
    all for passive cooling if possible. think I have lost all three of my
    hi-end video cards due to this....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 7, 2006
  8. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at a couple of models available in NZ:
    >>
    >> Asus EAX1600PRO Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 512MB, DDR2, PCIe-16, TV
    >> out, DVI Dual head NZ$272
    >>

    >> Gigabyte GV-RX16P256DE-RH Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 256MB, DDR2,
    >> PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire Dual head NZ$275.85
    >>
    >> Pricing from ascent.co.nz
    >>
    >> Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    >> junk out there?

    > I'm guessing your buying this for a wee bit of gaming (yes?).
    >
    > Assuming your budget is in the $300 NZD range, and that you'd prefer to
    > buy from Ascent (which is entirely understandable), then would not
    > something like a 7600GS or 6600GT be a better option?

    pp.co.nz is a good place to buy as well IMHO....as is aquila.....and yes
    I would tend to the nvidia myself as well.

    tomshardware had a recent review on cards so I would suggest reading it.

    regards

    Thing

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 7, 2006
  9. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Looking at a couple of models available in NZ:
    >
    > Asus EAX1600PRO Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 512MB, DDR2, PCIe-16, TV
    > out, DVI Dual head NZ$272
    >

    > Gigabyte GV-RX16P256DE-RH Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 256MB, DDR2,
    > PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire Dual head NZ$275.85
    >
    > Pricing from ascent.co.nz
    >
    > Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    > junk out there?

    To clarify
    The card is to be used for high end presentation software - not gaming.

    The DirectX9 capabilities with larger amounts of video memory are being
    used by developers these days to design software that can do fancy
    presentation effects, like motion backgrounds and live video with text
    superimposition etc etc.
    SchoolTech, Jun 7, 2006
  10. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Looking at a couple of models available in NZ:
    >>
    >> Asus EAX1600PRO Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 512MB, DDR2, PCIe-16, TV
    >> out, DVI Dual head NZ$272
    >>

    >> Gigabyte GV-RX16P256DE-RH Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 256MB, DDR2,
    >> PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire Dual head NZ$275.85
    >>
    >> Pricing from ascent.co.nz
    >>
    >> Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    >> junk out there?

    > To clarify
    > The card is to be used for high end presentation software - not gaming.
    >
    > The DirectX9 capabilities with larger amounts of video memory are being
    > used by developers these days to design software that can do fancy
    > presentation effects, like motion backgrounds and live video with text
    > superimposition etc etc.

    Hmmm... I'm interested.

    What software are we talking about? Can you provide a link please?
    Daniel, Jun 7, 2006
  11. SchoolTech

    First of One Guest

    You... don't replace the fan if it seizes. You replace the entire heat sink
    / fan unit with an aftermarket one. High-end cards tend to have a myriad of
    replacement cooling options available.

    Passive coolers aren't magical. They become finger-burning hot under load
    and are extremely dependent on good case airflow.

    First of One, Jun 8, 2006
  12. SchoolTech

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Daniel,

    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >> To clarify
    >> The card is to be used for high end presentation software - not
    >> gaming.
    >> The DirectX9 capabilities with larger amounts of video memory are
    >> being used by developers these days to design software that can do
    >> fancy presentation effects, like motion backgrounds and live video
    >> with text superimposition etc etc.
    >>

    > Hmmm... I'm interested.
    >
    > What software are we talking about? Can you provide a link please?

    windows presentation foundation, aka Avalon ?

    wpf does this and a whole lot more

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jun 8, 2006
  13. SchoolTech

    XPD Guest

    "First of One" <> wrote in message
    > Yes. And given the prices I'd pick the Asus (twice as much RAM) over the
    > Gigabyte.

    But are they doing the old trick of giving more RAM but its slower RAM than
    the other models with less RAM......
    XPD, Jun 8, 2006
  14. In article <>, y
    says...

    > Looking at the Asus and the gigabyte, the extra price of the gigabyte
    > seems to be the passive cooling solution, which it is normal to pay
    > extra for from what I can determine.....
    >
    > From bitter experience over the last 5~6 years a fan on a hi-end
    > graphics card cannot actually be replacedd easily, if at all....so I am
    > all for passive cooling if possible. think I have lost all three of my
    > hi-end video cards due to this....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Have a look at the Zalman heatpipe passive heatsinks. Around 50-60 bucks.

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=117445

    I put one on my graphics card just to cut the noise from that horrid cheap busy
    little fan. This sucker is huge (covers both sides of the card, and provides
    extra heatsinks for the ram chips, and it barely gets warm to the touch.
    I DID have to remove the oem cooler, obviously. The model I use has two
    heatpipes between top and bottom layer, I think it's the 50-D from memory, but
    I am not sure.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 8, 2006
  15. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > windows presentation foundation, aka Avalon ?
    >
    > wpf does this and a whole lot more

    So SchoolTech is using Vista...? (even if he his - which I doubt, I
    thought WPF was _still_ in development even with the beta releases)

    What about Windows XP? (the O/S he's most likely using)
    Daniel, Jun 8, 2006
  16. SchoolTech

    thingy Guest

    First of One wrote:
    > You... don't replace the fan if it seizes. You replace the entire heat sink
    > / fan unit with an aftermarket one. High-end cards tend to have a myriad of
    > replacement cooling options available.
    >
    > Passive coolers aren't magical. They become finger-burning hot under load
    > and are extremely dependent on good case airflow.

    Nice that such options are becoming available....for older cards not the
    case in the past..... Also NZ can be a bit short of such 3rd party
    bits....I ended up with a crappy DSE cooling unit as it was all I could get.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 8, 2006
  17. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >>> Looking at a couple of models available in NZ:
    >>>
    >>> Asus EAX1600PRO Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 512MB, DDR2, PCIe-16,
    >>> TV out, DVI Dual head NZ$272
    >>>

    >>> Gigabyte GV-RX16P256DE-RH Video Card, Radeon X1600 Pro, 256MB, DDR2,
    >>> PCIe-16, TV out, DVI, HDTV, CrossFire Dual head NZ$275.85
    >>>
    >>> Pricing from ascent.co.nz
    >>>
    >>> Are these good brands, considering there is a lot of cheap and nasty
    >>> junk out there?

    >> To clarify
    >> The card is to be used for high end presentation software - not gaming.
    >>
    >> The DirectX9 capabilities with larger amounts of video memory are
    >> being used by developers these days to design software that can do
    >> fancy presentation effects, like motion backgrounds and live video
    >> with text superimposition etc etc.

    > Hmmm... I'm interested.
    >
    > What software are we talking about? Can you provide a link please?

    MediaShout is an example
    www.mediashout.com

    SongShow Plus (V7)
    www.songshowplus.com

    I guess even addons to Powerpoint / ActiveX stuff in Mediaplayer can do
    it as well.
    SchoolTech, Jun 8, 2006
  18. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "First of One" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes. And given the prices I'd pick the Asus (twice as much RAM) over the
    >> Gigabyte.

    > But are they doing the old trick of giving more RAM but its slower RAM than
    > the other models with less RAM......

    Spec below.
    Does that address that? Is the RAM in this thing pretty fast?
    The Gigabyte spec doesn't give any comparable info unfortunately.

    Specification

    Graphics Engine
    ATI Radeon X1600PRO

    Video Memory
    512M

    Engine Clock
    500MHz

    Memory Clock
    540MHz(270MHz DDR2)

    RAMDAC
    400MHz

    Bus Standard
    16 lanes PCI Express

    Memory Interface
    128-bit

    Max Resolution
    2048x1536

    TV Output
    Yes

    VGA Output
    Standard 15-pin D-sub

    DVI Output
    DVI-I

    2nd VGA Output
    Yes, via DVI-to-VGA adaptor

    Adaptor/Cable bundled S-Video & composit cable
    DVI-to-2nd VGA adaptor

    3D game bundle
    Hottest game: King Kong Special Edition
    Stylish CD leather Wallet
    SchoolTech, Jun 8, 2006
  19. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:

    > MediaShout is an example
    > www.mediashout.com
    >
    > SongShow Plus (V7)
    > www.songshowplus.com
    >
    > I guess even addons to Powerpoint / ActiveX stuff in Mediaplayer can do
    > it as well.

    Okay, I see where you're coming from now.

    In that case I think something like an X1600pro is perhaps a wee bit
    overkill.

    As for MediaShout and SongShow Plus, I'd definitely recommend you
    investigate a couple of Open Source alternatives - they do exist (I
    think OpenSong was one of them).

    Seriously. For all the features that MediaShout has - and are never
    actually used, I think you'd be better placed to forge ahead with an
    Open Source solution.

    A gfx card for half the price would easily do what you're after.
    Daniel, Jun 8, 2006
  20. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Jun 8, 2006