  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP, May 8, 2009

  3. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos and Charlie.

    (Did you guys know about this?:
    http://www.cncaustin.com/ )

    My older (late 2006) ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, 512 MB, PCI-express runs just
    fine on the drivers built into WinXP, Vista and Win7 x64.

    For a decade or more, I visited ATI's website often to get the latest and
    greatest drivers for my succession of ATI All-In-Wonder boards. But ATI
    drug there feet on x64 support for such a long time that I stopped trying.
    And I found out that the built-in drivers in Windows do all that I need. I
    no longer chase the latest drivers and never did learn to use Catalyst.
    Maybe I'm missing something that I don't even know about. But I'm a happy
    camper. ;<)

    For what it's worth, Device Manager says my driver is "Radeon X1600 Series
    (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)", from ATI, dated 3/10/2009, version
    8.56.1.13, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 8, 2009
  4. ROFLU!

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 9, 2009
  5. Usually, the default drivers are fine, but not by any means "optimized".
    They tend to be the focused on being as solid as possible, but not
    necessarily as fast as possible. Updated drivers, when they work, will often
    improve overall speed and responsiveness, especially if you're a gamer (I'm
    not). That being said, they also have a higher likelihood of having a bug or
    two, IME.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 9, 2009