ATI Remote wonder

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Does anyone here use an ATI remote wonder?

    Im wondering about the range, Im considering getting one to control the
    PC from the bedroom (computers video/sound signal is being sent there)

    The PC is in a room adjacent to the bedroom (hallway in between), So in
    theory its only about 5 metres apart, but with 2 walls in the way

    Typically want to control power dvd or windows media player - and be
    able to browse around for the media to play also. Cant think of any
    other better options other then the ati remote

    Also, Ive read that you can only buy the original ATI remote wonder, and
    cant buy the ATI remote wonder II without purchasing a graphics card at
    the same time.. is that true?

    Thanks in advance

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Andrew

    JohnO Guest

    I have an x10 RF remote which I believe has the same internals. I find
    it works about 10 metres with no walls in the way but that it drops
    rapidlywhen there are walls in the way, Your situation would be
    borderline.

    You definately can buy the remote standalone. ascent.co.nz has them for
    about 80 bucks IIRC. They are a nice unit.

    A better option might be an X10 type remote extenter along with any old
    IR remote transmitter/blaster such as a Microsoft MCE remote/blaster.
    That would also allow you to remote control your sky decoder etc from
    the scratcher.

    JohnO, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > I have an x10 RF remote which I believe has the same internals. I find
    > it works about 10 metres with no walls in the way but that it drops
    > rapidlywhen there are walls in the way, Your situation would be
    > borderline.
    >
    > You definately can buy the remote standalone. ascent.co.nz has them for
    > about 80 bucks IIRC. They are a nice unit.
    >
    > A better option might be an X10 type remote extenter along with any old
    > IR remote transmitter/blaster such as a Microsoft MCE remote/blaster.
    > That would also allow you to remote control your sky decoder etc from
    > the scratcher.

    Right now im already able to control the sky decoder etc (everything in
    the component rack) from the bedroom, but the computer is just a
    standalone machine so im thinking i definatly need RF for it

    the PC has no IR at all at the moment

    Ascent have the remote wonder (x10), but not the remote wonder II (philips)

    Andrew, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:02:38 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:

    >Does anyone here use an ATI remote wonder?
    >
    >Im wondering about the range, Im considering getting one to control the
    >PC from the bedroom (computers video/sound signal is being sent there)
    >
    >The PC is in a room adjacent to the bedroom (hallway in between), So in
    >theory its only about 5 metres apart, but with 2 walls in the way
    >
    >Typically want to control power dvd or windows media player - and be
    >able to browse around for the media to play also. Cant think of any
    >other better options other then the ati remote
    >
    >Also, Ive read that you can only buy the original ATI remote wonder, and
    >cant buy the ATI remote wonder II without purchasing a graphics card at
    >the same time.. is that true?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    I can get through one wall at about 8m, but when I move back another room
    (therefore 2 walls) it doesn't work.

    Craig Shore, Jul 25, 2005