    Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I log
    on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is there a
    way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks

    Sportflyer, Feb 18, 2007

  2. From: "Sportflyer" <>

    | Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I log
    | on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is there a
    | way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks

    What makes you think a video card does ?

    Can you back it up with logs or some other quantitative data ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Sportflyer

    Sportflyer Guest

    This is what the firewall is indicating:
    C:\Programfiles\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe trying to access internet
    using svchost.exe theu OLE Automation.

    I think this could be the ATI Catalyst Control Center looking for updates ?

    I have never used this software to adjust the display etc so maybe I can
    just stop auto start of CLI.exe from msconfig.

    Sportflyer, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Sportflyer wrote:

    > This is what the firewall is indicating:
    > C:\Programfiles\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe trying to access internet
    > using svchost.exe theu OLE Automation.

    Insufficient and most probably false information.

    > I think this could be the ATI Catalyst Control Center looking for updates ?

    You think, you think... could you please check its settings?

    > I have never used this software to adjust the display etc so maybe I can
    > just stop auto start of CLI.exe from msconfig.

    Took you a long time to notice such a trivial thing...

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 18, 2007
  5. Sportflyer

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <>, Sportflyer
    of , felt we'd be interested in the
    following...

    > Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I log
    > on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and is there a
    > way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it permantly. Tks

    Loads of info on Google

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=ATI Technologies%
    5CATI.ACE%5CCLI.exe&btnG=Search&meta=

    (URL wrapped)

    --
    My reply address is invalid.
    Please post replies to the group.

    Tx2, Feb 18, 2007
  6. From: "Sportflyer" <>

    | This is what the firewall is indicating:
    | C:\Programfiles\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe trying to access internet
    | using svchost.exe theu OLE Automation.
    |
    | I think this could be the ATI Catalyst Control Center looking for updates ?
    |
    | I have never used this software to adjust the display etc so maybe I can
    | just stop auto start of CLI.exe from msconfig.

    I don't usually agree with Sebastian Gottschalk but in this case I do.

    On the outside chance...

    Please submit a sample to Virus Total --
    http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
    The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
    That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
    otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.

    You can also submit a suspect, one at a time, via the following email URL...
    mailto:?subject=SCAN

    When you get the report, please post back the exact results.

    David H. Lipman, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Sportflyer

    Vanguard Guest

    "Sportflyer" <> wrote in message
    > Why does ATI Radeon try to connect to internet via svchost each time I
    > log on? .The firewall keeps bringing this up . Is this necessary and
    > is there a way to disable or should I just go ahead and allow it
    > permantly. Tks

    The firewall keeps bringing "this" up. And what is "this"? The
    firewall actually says just "this" in its alert popup? You sure it
    doesn't say what process it is (by filename), what port, and what is the
    target IP address or hostname? Pretty useless firewall if it can't tell
    you to WHERE a process is trying to connect and on what port. Maybe it
    is using the internal loopback interface on your NIC (i.e., localhost or
    127.0.0.1) or maybe the external interface (i.e., the IP address
    assigned to your host).

    From http://ati.de/products/catalystcontrolcenter/faq.html#10:

    "The Catalyst® Control Center has been separated into different
    components (a unique instance of CLI.exe per component) because it
    allows us to tune the characteristics of the process instance to the
    type of component. One component is called the “Runtime”, which acts as
    a server to all of the other client components. The two other client
    components are the “User-Interface” and the “System Tray”. The client
    “CLI.exe”s are tuned differently to enhance performance; the
    “User-Interface” client is optimized to run for short periods of time,
    whereas the “System Tray” client is designed to run for long periods of
    time. The “preview.exe” file (used for the 3D preview) is a based on the
    Win32 process (whereas the rest of the Catalyst® Control Center is based
    on the .NET framework), and is strictly an OpenGL application. Note that
    the preview “preview.exe” process is used only when the “User-Interface”
    is operating, and is ended as soon as the Catalyst® Control Center is
    closed."

    Vanguard, Feb 21, 2007