ATI Radeon Express 200 graphics carrd question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lord Turkey Cough, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. I have a computer with the above chip set
    here is a lovely picture on the motherboard :-
    http://mb.zol.com.cn/38/380970.html

    It's in Chinese but the pictures are Engliah :O)

    Anyway, apparently the chip set supports two monitors, however
    as you can see from the last picture, which shows the ports, there is
    only one monitor port, a SVGA? one with 14 or 15 pins, it's the blue
    'blob', underneath the purple 'blob' (printer port?).

    It looks like there is is a space next to it where the other monitor port
    would have gone, it the manufactures had been 'arsed' to put one on,
    very nice of them not to :O|

    Anyway I am just wondering if it would be possible too add another
    monitor port? I assume the answer is no because it was designed for just one
    port for some reason.

    I know I am clutching at straws here. But it justs seems a shame they only
    put
    one port on when the chipset can apprently support two.

    I guess I should take my computer apart and have a good look at it......
    and then put it back togeather and find it never works again :O$

    Mind you if it was possible I guess I would not risk trying to connect
    another
    port anyway for fear of damaging my motherboard permantly. - Oh well.

    I am just annoyed they only put one port on, I just want to use two
    monitors,
    nothing fancy, I am not a gamer just enough for surfing etc...
    Lord Turkey Cough, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Lord Turkey Cough

    Augustus Guest

    "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message
    >I have a computer with the above chip set
    > here is a lovely picture on the motherboard :-
    > http://mb.zol.com.cn/38/380970.html
    >
    > It's in Chinese but the pictures are Engliah :O)
    >
    > Anyway, apparently the chip set supports two monitors, however
    > as you can see from the last picture, which shows the ports, there is
    > only one monitor port, a SVGA? one with 14 or 15 pins, it's the blue
    > 'blob', underneath the purple 'blob' (printer port?).

    Motherboard: MSI MS-7184 (AmethystM) incorporates, as you note, the Xpress
    200 IGP, which in conjuntion with an additional PCI-e compatible ATI card
    is supposed to do SurroundView with 4 monitors. Whether or not this
    proprietary E-machines and Gateway specific m/b actually implements it is
    another thing.
    Augustus, Feb 18, 2008

  3. Lord Turkey Cough

    First of One Guest

    Even if the traces are there on the board, at the very least you would still
    need to pay someone to solder in a HD15 (aka "Dsub") connector. Probably not
    worth the trouble when bottom-feeder X1300 cards are going for $20:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102721

    First of One, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Lord Turkey Cough

    kony Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 04:28:27 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a computer with the above chip set
    >here is a lovely picture on the motherboard :-
    >http://mb.zol.com.cn/38/380970.html
    >
    >It's in Chinese but the pictures are Engliah :O)
    >
    >Anyway, apparently the chip set supports two monitors, however
    >as you can see from the last picture, which shows the ports, there is
    >only one monitor port, a SVGA? one with 14 or 15 pins, it's the blue
    >'blob', underneath the purple 'blob' (printer port?).
    >
    >It looks like there is is a space next to it where the other monitor port
    >would have gone, it the manufactures had been 'arsed' to put one on,
    >very nice of them not to :O|
    >
    >Anyway I am just wondering if it would be possible too add another
    >monitor port? I assume the answer is no because it was designed for just one
    >port for some reason.

    In theory, if they had designed it to put the 2nd monitor
    output there, you could solder on the 2nd VGA jack and any
    surface mounted components missing. In practice, they may
    not have routed these traces and even if there are some
    those might be for a serial port instead of VGA.

    >I know I am clutching at straws here. But it justs seems a shame they only
    >put
    >one port on when the chipset can apprently support two.

    That's what happens when a board is built to a low price
    point.

    >I guess I should take my computer apart and have a good look at it......
    >and then put it back togeather and find it never works again :O$
    >
    >Mind you if it was possible I guess I would not risk trying to connect
    >another
    >port anyway for fear of damaging my motherboard permantly. - Oh well.
    >
    >I am just annoyed they only put one port on, I just want to use two
    >monitors,
    >nothing fancy, I am not a gamer just enough for surfing etc...

    Buy a video card with dual monitor support, or a PCI card
    with single monitor support will also, usually work (if
    Windows(?) supports it through the driver).
    kony, Feb 18, 2008
  5. Lord Turkey Cough

    Robert Baer Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > I have a computer with the above chip set
    > here is a lovely picture on the motherboard :-
    > http://mb.zol.com.cn/38/380970.html
    >
    > It's in Chinese but the pictures are Engliah :O)
    >
    > Anyway, apparently the chip set supports two monitors, however
    > as you can see from the last picture, which shows the ports, there is
    > only one monitor port, a SVGA? one with 14 or 15 pins, it's the blue
    > 'blob', underneath the purple 'blob' (printer port?).
    >
    > It looks like there is is a space next to it where the other monitor port
    > would have gone, it the manufactures had been 'arsed' to put one on,
    > very nice of them not to :O|
    >
    > Anyway I am just wondering if it would be possible too add another
    > monitor port? I assume the answer is no because it was designed for just one
    > port for some reason.
    >
    > I know I am clutching at straws here. But it justs seems a shame they only
    > put
    > one port on when the chipset can apprently support two.
    >
    > I guess I should take my computer apart and have a good look at it......
    > and then put it back togeather and find it never works again :O$
    >
    > Mind you if it was possible I guess I would not risk trying to connect
    > another
    > port anyway for fear of damaging my motherboard permantly. - Oh well.
    >
    > I am just annoyed they only put one port on, I just want to use two
    > monitors,
    > nothing fancy, I am not a gamer just enough for surfing etc...

    The purple connector is a standard 15-pin SVGA connector.
    You might try a video card for a second monitor, but usually MBs with
    on-board video do not tolerate that.
    Robert Baer, Feb 19, 2008
  6. "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Even if the traces are there on the board, at the very least you would
    > still need to pay someone to solder in a HD15 (aka "Dsub") connector.
    > Probably not worth the trouble when bottom-feeder X1300 cards are going
    > for $20: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102721

    I was just wondering if the purple thing (mount) in which it is mounted has
    the traces
    connected to it and a path through to where the dbus would be or whether
    the
    Dsub is connected directly to the motherboard. I thought maybe you could try
    connecting it by just pushing it into any holes or whatever.
    I tried to have a look at it but it's hard to get at and I would have to
    take the whole
    thing apart and take the motherboard out. I started doing that but then
    thought the better
    of it.If I did soldered it I would probably try and do it my self, rather
    spend the money
    on a soldering iron!
    Having said that I don't think I would risk it.
    Not sure what I will do yet, I might even get something more powerful, I
    just benchmarked
    my graphics and it didn't look too impresive. I guess I will just keep
    investigating
    and seeing what becomes available on ebay and the like.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Feb 20, 2008
  7. "Augustus" <> wrote in message

    > "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a computer with the above chip set
    >> here is a lovely picture on the motherboard :-
    >> http://mb.zol.com.cn/38/380970.html
    >>
    >> It's in Chinese but the pictures are Engliah :O)
    >>
    >> Anyway, apparently the chip set supports two monitors, however
    >> as you can see from the last picture, which shows the ports, there is
    >> only one monitor port, a SVGA? one with 14 or 15 pins, it's the blue
    >> 'blob', underneath the purple 'blob' (printer port?).

    > Motherboard: MSI MS-7184 (AmethystM) incorporates, as you note, the Xpress
    > 200 IGP, which in conjuntion with an additional PCI-e compatible ATI card
    > is supposed to do SurroundView with 4 monitors. Whether or not this
    > proprietary E-machines and Gateway specific m/b actually implements it is
    > another thing.

    Well there is only one connector on the motherboard, I guess this might
    cause some
    confusion if the chipset expects two.
    It's actually a HP PC, here is the specification
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00378480&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=1839474#

    I'd certainly like to know why they only put one conector on it.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Feb 20, 2008
  8. Lord Turkey Cough

    First of One Guest

    > I was just wondering if the purple thing (mount) in which it is mounted
    > has the traces connected to it and a path through to where the dbus
    > would be or whether the Dsub is connected directly to the motherboard.

    What purple mount? You mean the large parallel port block? It has no
    connection with the Dsub connector. The Dsub connector is soldered directly
    to the board. Often there are two additional screws to secure the connector
    to the board (solder alone would be too weak).

    > I thought maybe you could try connecting it by just pushing it into any
    > holes or whatever.

    Ha! It isn't that easy.

    > Not sure what I will do yet, I might even get something more powerful, I
    > just benchmarked my graphics and it didn't look too impresive.

    This is true. The Xpress 200 graphics is a stripped down version of the
    Radeon X300 card, which in itself is a bottom-feeder. If you intend to do
    any gaming, an add-in card would be mandatory.

    First of One, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Lord Turkey Cough

    Baron Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    > "Augustus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a computer with the above chip set
    >>> here is a lovely picture on the motherboard :-
    >>> http://mb.zol.com.cn/38/380970.html
    >>>
    >>> It's in Chinese but the pictures are Engliah :O)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, apparently the chip set supports two monitors, however
    >>> as you can see from the last picture, which shows the ports, there
    >>> is only one monitor port, a SVGA? one with 14 or 15 pins, it's the
    >>> blue 'blob', underneath the purple 'blob' (printer port?).

    >> Motherboard: MSI MS-7184 (AmethystM) incorporates, as you note, the
    >> Xpress 200 IGP, which in conjuntion with an additional PCI-e
    >> compatible ATI card is supposed to do SurroundView with 4 monitors.
    >> Whether or not this proprietary E-machines and Gateway specific m/b
    >> actually implements it is another thing.

    > Well there is only one connector on the motherboard, I guess this
    > might cause some
    > confusion if the chipset expects two.
    > It's actually a HP PC, here is the specification

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00378480&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=1839474#

    > I'd certainly like to know why they only put one conector on it.

    Quite simply because the Xp200 chip on that board only supports one
    monitor. In addition it robs its memory from the main ram.

    If you want better video output or two monitors, get a PCIExpress card
    for it. Don't forget to turn down the video memory size in the BIOS if
    you do, and set the frame buffer size to twice the memory on the new
    video card.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.