ATI Radeon 7600

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Malcolm, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I have an ATI 7000 series PCI video card with an Aopen MK73LE-N
    motherboard. I have an AMD Athalon 1.33 Gig processor with 512 MB of
    SDRAM. The ATI 7000 video card I just installed a few days ago. My PC
    has a dual boot system with Win 98 & Win XP Home. I have set up the
    video card on both operating systems with some problems. Both seem to
    work sometimes!!! I cannot hold the screen setup on either system.
    Almost every time I boot up I have to reset the screen display for
    size and position. I have tried every setting from 800 x 600 and up. I
    have a CTX VL 700 monitor which can handle the specs of the video
    card. I have gone to the ATI web site and downloaded the latest
    drivers with no joy. Another quirk is sometimes my dual boot system
    does not give me choice of which system to boot into, it just boots
    into WinXP. This has all happened with the install of the ATI 7600 PCI
    card. Any suggestions ???

    Thanks

    Remove "NOT" from email address to reply via email"

    Later,
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Malcolm

    gangle Guest

    "Malcolm" wrote
    > Hi Folks,
    >

    > I have an ATI 7000 series PCI video card with an Aopen MK73LE-N
    > motherboard. I have an AMD Athalon 1.33 Gig processor with 512 MB of
    > SDRAM. The ATI 7000 video card I just installed a few days ago. My PC
    > has a dual boot system with Win 98 & Win XP Home. I have set up the
    > video card on both operating systems with some problems. Both seem to
    > work sometimes!!! I cannot hold the screen setup on either system.
    > Almost every time I boot up I have to reset the screen display for
    > size and position. I have tried every setting from 800 x 600 and up. I
    > have a CTX VL 700 monitor which can handle the specs of the video
    > card. I have gone to the ATI web site and downloaded the latest
    > drivers with no joy. Another quirk is sometimes my dual boot system
    > does not give me choice of which system to boot into, it just boots
    > into WinXP. This has all happened with the install of the ATI 7600 PCI
    > card. Any suggestions ???

    ATI drivers often don't work well in general. That's under the
    best of conditions -- this dual boot situation is not the best
    of conditions. There is a distinct possibility that the ATI card
    will not be compatible with that configuration because of
    this crappy-drivers thing. I know this is not a cheery message,
    but it is POSSIBLY the case, so I thought you should at least be
    aware of this worst-case scenario. I have had a 7500 for
    3 years, and there are certain functions that have never
    worked because of the screwy drivers -- I learned at some
    point that "getting the latest drivers" -- usually the right thing
    to do -- only made matters worse, and went back to older,
    less screwy drivers. I have read many other similar horror
    stories in newsgroups and on web pages. Sorry for being
    the bearer of bad news: you may have to give up on that
    card -- responsive drivers simply may not exist to make it
    function correctly.
    gangle, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:24:57 -0700, "gangle" <>
    wrote:

    >"Malcolm" wrote
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>

    >> I have an ATI 7000 series PCI video card with an Aopen MK73LE-N
    >> motherboard. I have an AMD Athalon 1.33 Gig processor with 512 MB of
    >> SDRAM. The ATI 7000 video card I just installed a few days ago. My PC
    >> has a dual boot system with Win 98 & Win XP Home. I have set up the
    >> video card on both operating systems with some problems. Both seem to
    >> work sometimes!!! I cannot hold the screen setup on either system.
    >> Almost every time I boot up I have to reset the screen display for
    >> size and position. I have tried every setting from 800 x 600 and up. I
    >> have a CTX VL 700 monitor which can handle the specs of the video
    >> card. I have gone to the ATI web site and downloaded the latest
    >> drivers with no joy. Another quirk is sometimes my dual boot system
    >> does not give me choice of which system to boot into, it just boots
    >> into WinXP. This has all happened with the install of the ATI 7600 PCI
    >> card. Any suggestions ???

    >ATI drivers often don't work well in general. That's under the
    >best of conditions -- this dual boot situation is not the best
    >of conditions. There is a distinct possibility that the ATI card
    >will not be compatible with that configuration because of
    >this crappy-drivers thing. I know this is not a cheery message,
    >but it is POSSIBLY the case, so I thought you should at least be
    >aware of this worst-case scenario. I have had a 7500 for
    >3 years, and there are certain functions that have never
    >worked because of the screwy drivers -- I learned at some
    >point that "getting the latest drivers" -- usually the right thing
    >to do -- only made matters worse, and went back to older,
    >less screwy drivers. I have read many other similar horror
    >stories in newsgroups and on web pages. Sorry for being
    >the bearer of bad news: you may have to give up on that
    >card -- responsive drivers simply may not exist to make it
    >function correctly.

    Thanks for the info. That does not sound good.

    Malcolm, Jun 15, 2005