ati problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by 888ash1@gmail.com, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi People

    I have a power Mapower maP-AL21 external hard drive enclosure housing
    a 40gb hitachi 2.5" ide hard drive. I have a P4 3.2 HT with an ecs
    (crap) board using Windows XP Pro.

    I recently installed an ATI 9250 256md 128bit agp graphics card (by
    powercolor) on the pc. The problem im having now is my mapower
    eclosure is not working.

    When i connect the device to the usb port, the system goes on a "go
    slow" and basically you cannot crunch any information from any of the
    hard drives. The external drive does not autoplay but it is being
    picked up by the device manager...thats all it does.

    When you remove the external drives usb cable, the pc goes back to
    normal and everything you frantically clicked on opens. BLEH

    Here's the interesting bit...if you uninstall the video card driver,
    the drive works...but you dont get graphics :-(, and if you want
    graphics, you dont have the drive :-((

    I rely on both to do my work...and now I cant do anything...I have
    downloaded and installed the latest version of the video card driver,
    there aren't any firmware updates for the enlosure...im stuffed...

    I need help ppl...pls help me...im despirate...ill do
    anything...except for that dirty thought you just had in your head!

    Thanks, regards
    Ashman
    , Aug 8, 2007

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi People
    >
    > I have a power Mapower maP-AL21 external hard drive enclosure housing
    > a 40gb hitachi 2.5" ide hard drive. I have a P4 3.2 HT with an ecs
    > (crap) board using Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I recently installed an ATI 9250 256md 128bit agp graphics card (by
    > powercolor) on the pc. The problem im having now is my mapower
    > eclosure is not working.
    >
    > When i connect the device to the usb port, the system goes on a "go
    > slow" and basically you cannot crunch any information from any of the
    > hard drives. The external drive does not autoplay but it is being
    > picked up by the device manager...thats all it does.
    >
    > When you remove the external drives usb cable, the pc goes back to
    > normal and everything you frantically clicked on opens. BLEH
    >
    > Here's the interesting bit...if you uninstall the video card driver,
    > the drive works...but you dont get graphics :-(, and if you want
    > graphics, you dont have the drive :-((
    >
    > I rely on both to do my work...and now I cant do anything...I have
    > downloaded and installed the latest version of the video card driver,
    > there aren't any firmware updates for the enlosure...im stuffed...
    >
    > I need help ppl...pls help me...im despirate...ill do
    > anything...except for that dirty thought you just had in your head!
    >
    > Thanks, regards
    > Ashman

    Maybe the same IRQ is being used by the video card and
    the USB controller ? There is not much you can do about
    that, as they may effectively be physically wired together.

    What is the motherboard make and model number ?
    What OS are you using ?

    Do you have both connectors of the "Y cable" plugged in for USB ?

    http://www.mapower.com/Product.asp?CateID=145&LineID=9

    If all else fails, buy an ESATA controller card, and connect
    the drive to that. The Mapower site says that unit has ESATA
    as an interface option.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280005

    If you buy an ESATA card, I'd use a short cable with it. You
    may have the choice of 1 meter and 2 meter cables, and for
    these cheap ESATA cards, I would select the 1 meter cable.

    There are three different cables available for ESATA.
    Check the connectors carefully, before buying a 1 meter cable.

    http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_external_cables.html

    Also, on the above Newegg ESATA card, there are three ports,
    but two of them are shared. When you use the ESATA connector
    on the faceplate, the internal SATA connector next to the
    faceplate cannot be used. My assumption is, the card uses
    something like a SIL3112 chip, but the pictures are not
    clear enough to verify that. There are no customer reviews
    of that ESATA card. And no drivers on the Masscool.com site.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 8, 2007