    Is the writing on the wall?

    Yet another AMD Vice President resigns
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9747
    Mickey Mouse, Sep 1, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    thingy Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > Is the ship sinking?
    >
    > Intel has left AMD in the dust over the past 12 months, and AMD is
    > limping along in catch-up mode with not much to inspire. Barcelona looks
    > a bit like a dead duck served up cold.

    Sad because AMD got a one up over Intel's bad judgement and letting its
    accountants/marketing dept rule common sense (P4 fiasco)....AMD then
    lost it by not delivering a decent dual core reply....

    > Could AMD's lacklustre performance be the death-knell for once
    > competitive ATI in the graphics market?

    I dont think ATI has ever been truly competitive with Nvidia, its always
    been in catch-up mode....it sometimes passes Nvidia for a short period,
    just before nvidia release its newest line whcih results in a huge step
    up in performance...

    In saying this ATI is very strong in the embedded market such as
    laptops...though Nvidia seems to be making ground....

    > Nvidia seems to (as a surprising parallel to the CPU market) have the
    > goods in the 8x range,

    8800 yes, the 8600 and 8500 seem poor buys, i would'nt buy them. The
    8800GTS or 7900GS or 7600GT series seem to be the best priced GPU price
    points at present.

    with the new 92 series due before Christmas,
    > while ATI's offerings are looking pretty shabby on the whole with the
    > HD2x series not offering much and little to inspire in the near future.

    Bottom ones look as bad is Nvidia's....

    > Is the writing on the wall?

    Nope, at least I hope not...competition keeps prices down, if ATI gives
    up Nvidia can charge what it wants....and get lazy......

    In terms of AMD/Intel I just bought an AMD 4000x2, runs very well and
    price wise was a good buy....and expect I can do a cheap upgrade to
    6000x2 or 6400x2 shortly....

    As an aside I find the low cost of x86 CPU's amazing....I mean when I
    bought my p3-1000 it was circa $900~1000, I bought the second one (dual
    board) at $500 just before they went out of prod....

    These days a dual 4000 is $110 with a dual 6000 $250 odd....that is
    amazing performance at a fraction of what the P3s cost me....$1500 v
    $120...and probably 4 ~ 6 times the performance....

    > Yet another AMD Vice President resigns
    > http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9747

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 2, 2007

  3. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >> Is the ship sinking?
    >>
    >> Intel has left AMD in the dust over the past 12 months, and AMD is
    >> limping along in catch-up mode with not much to inspire. Barcelona looks
    >> a bit like a dead duck served up cold.

    > Sad because AMD got a one up over Intel's bad judgement and letting its
    > accountants/marketing dept rule common sense (P4 fiasco)....AMD then lost
    > it by not delivering a decent dual core reply....
    >
    >> Could AMD's lacklustre performance be the death-knell for once
    >> competitive ATI in the graphics market?

    > I dont think ATI has ever been truly competitive with Nvidia, its always
    > been in catch-up mode....it sometimes passes Nvidia for a short period,
    > just before nvidia release its newest line whcih results in a huge step up
    > in performance...

    We're past the 9600 vs 5700 days when the two were tit-for-tat, and in the
    last 12 months or so it has become apparent that ATI just doesn't seem to be
    the race any longer. Now being under AMD, it's not looking good.

    > In saying this ATI is very strong in the embedded market such as
    > laptops...though Nvidia seems to be making ground....
    >
    >> Nvidia seems to (as a surprising parallel to the CPU market) have the
    >> goods in the 8x range,

    > 8800 yes, the 8600 and 8500 seem poor buys, i would'nt buy them. The
    > 8800GTS or 7900GS or 7600GT series seem to be the best priced GPU price
    > points at present.

    I currently have an ATI card, and would be buying nVidia if I was in the
    market for a new card.

    > with the new 92 series due before Christmas,
    >> while ATI's offerings are looking pretty shabby on the whole with the
    >> HD2x series not offering much and little to inspire in the near future.

    > Bottom ones look as bad is Nvidia's....

    Often based on older chipsets to maintain an income stream in the volume
    segment, but don't offer the same margins.

    >> Is the writing on the wall?

    > Nope, at least I hope not...competition keeps prices down, if ATI gives up
    > Nvidia can charge what it wants....and get lazy......
    >
    > In terms of AMD/Intel I just bought an AMD 4000x2, runs very well and
    > price wise was a good buy....and expect I can do a cheap upgrade to 6000x2
    > or 6400x2 shortly....

    The concern for AMD (and ATI) is that they will be reduced to a bit player,
    along the lines of Cyrix (now under VIA) or Motorola in the CPU market, and
    S3 or SiS in the graphics section.

    AMD has been piling up the losses this year, the preliminary figures for
    Barcelona are looking unspectacular, and ATI must be suffering under the AMD
    environment.

    Barcelona vs Clovertown and Tigerton: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=735
    Effect of Barcelona on margins: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=732
    Mickey Mouse, Sep 8, 2007