ATI display driver update

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LAH, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. LAH

    LAH Guest

    HP Pavilion 8380
    Windows 98
    224 RAM
    Display Adapters: RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X (English)

    I'm trying to update in order for my kid's games to run better. A couple of
    them tend to freeze. Through trial and error I've discovered that lowering
    the hardware acceleration helps and in one case seems to solve the problem.
    I'm hoping that an update will completely solve the problem and make
    changing the acceleration unnecessary.

    When I run dxdiag.exe everything appears OK except: "Hardware accelerated
    Direct 3D 8+ is not available because the display driver does not support
    it. You may be able to get a newer driver from the hardware manufacturer."
    I have Direct X 9 installed. HP doesn't seem to offer any updates for my
    old machine that will make Direct 3D 8+ available.

    I've looked at ATI Tech and I guess (No, I know I am!) I'm over my head
    here. I can't figure out if there is any driver there that will work or is
    an update to the driver I already have. From their lists I can't even
    identify with certainty the driver I'm currently using.

    Has anyone out there tried updating an old computer (display driver) like
    mine and if so, what driver did you use and what were your results? I know
    this is a lot to ask but if someone knows of the driver update I'm looking
    for, I would very much appreciate it if you could give me the exact version
    or name. I must admit I'm scared to death of making a mistake and really
    fouling things up. Please don't tell me I need to update my entire system -
    I already know that. However, that will have to wait until the water heater
    gets replaced, my daughter's braces are paid for, etc.

    Thanks,
    Lois

    LAH, Jan 1, 2005

  2. LAH

    Emrys Davies Guest

    http://drivermagic.com/p/nph-download.php?a=940

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Jan 1, 2005

  3. On 31 Dec 2004, LAH scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > HP Pavilion 8380
    > Windows 98
    > 224 RAM
    > Display Adapters: RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X (English)

    snip

    If you have an ATI driver CD, look in the BIN directory on the CD for
    ATIINFO.EXE. Run this and it should give you just about all the info
    you need about your graphics adapter. If you don't have a CD, or can't
    locate that utility, you can download it here:

    http://www.ati.com/support/identify/atiinfo.html

    Here is a page from HP's site which should help you identify the driver
    version, and they have an *updated* driver (from 1998) available:

    (watch the wrap)

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&o
    s=20&product=58692&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv441en

    With that information, and what ATIINFO tells you, you should be able
    to determine if you can update your drivers.

    That said, you *may* have some issues because of the fact that the
    computer is an HP, and the adapter *may* require HP's drivers. I
    personally have not had any problems with updating the drivers on the
    HPs I've worked on, using drivers from ATI, but there is always a first
    time. Read and follow any instructions carefully. Read the release
    notes and precautions if you decide to go with drivers from ATI's
    site. Post back in this thread if you have any questions, and someone
    should answer.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I typed the word Google into Google.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 1, 2005
  4. LAH

    Sky King Guest

    Sky King, Jan 1, 2005
  5. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Thanks folks for pointing me in the right direction. Kid go back to school
    on Monday and things will quiet down around here. Hope to look over the
    sites you've pointed me to and perhaps trying a download. I'll let you know
    if I have questions or success. Thanks again! Lois

    LAH, Jan 1, 2005
  6. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Re: ATI display driver update - question

    Question: I'm getting ready to download and install update. Instructions
    say to uninstall any previous version of the Rage Pro/Rage XL display driver
    prior to installing the new version. Now for the stupid question: Will
    this uninstall temporarily disable my display/monitor and if so how do I
    locate the downloaded new version and install? OK, once you get through
    ROFL please be kind with your response.

    Thanks,
    Lois

    LAH, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Re: ATI display driver update - question

    "LAH" <> wrote in

    > Question: I'm getting ready to download and install update.
    > Instructions say to uninstall any previous version of the Rage
    > Pro/Rage XL display driver prior to installing the new version. Now
    > for the stupid question: Will this uninstall temporarily disable my
    > display/monitor and if so how do I locate the downloaded new version
    > and install? OK, once you get through ROFL please be kind with your
    > response.

    Go ahead and uninstall the existing driver. Windows wil install the default
    driver, and then you can install the updated one.+

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 3, 2005
  8. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Re: ATI display driver update - question

    Thank you for the information and thank you for your kind response to this
    computer challenged baby boomer.

    Lois

    LAH, Jan 3, 2005
  9. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Re: ATI display driver update - I did it!

    Yes! dxdiag says it's all working and it does appear to be doing so!
    Thanks everyone for holding my hand while I muddled my way through the
    process!

    LAH, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Re: ATI display driver update - I did it!

    On 03 Jan 2005, LAH scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Yes! dxdiag says it's all working and it does appear to be doing
    > so! Thanks everyone for holding my hand while I muddled my way
    > through the process!

    snip

    See, that wasn't so bad now, was it? 8^)

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 6, 2005
  11. LAH

    > On 03 Jan 2005, LAH scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > Yes! dxdiag says it's all working and it does appear to be doing
    > > so! Thanks everyone for holding my hand while I muddled my way
    > > through the process!
    > >

    > snip
    >
    > See, that wasn't so bad now, was it? 8^)

    No, but I must admit I've just now managed to get all my fingers and toes
    uncrossed! You guys make it all look and sound so easy. Thanks again.

    LAH, Jan 7, 2005