    Thanks in advance!

    Please comment.

    Tom Tricep
    Tom Tricep, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Tom Tricep wrote:

    > Is there any difference between these two processors? Will the Athlon
    > perform with any program out there? I am not a computer guy and want
    > simple performance. I remember somwhere in the past the Athlons were
    > not compatable with some operations.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Please comment.
    >
    > Tom Tricep

    Well, there's a difference, but not that great. The Athlon 64 2800
    actually runs at a clock speed of 1.8GHz, performs "similar" to a P4
    2.8GHz. The 64 bit part of the processor won't help a heck of a lot if
    you're not running a 64 bit operating system. If you're not a computer
    guy, chances are that you're not running such an operating system. The
    Athlon should be compatible with pretty much anything that you throw at
    it. It's been a long time since I've heard of any incompatibilities with
    an AMD processor.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Tom Tricep

    Jamco Guest

    Other things to keep in mind. Intel has hyper threading, which makes the
    processor act as if its really too, for SOME programs that are written to
    support hyper threading.

    AMD has Hypertransport, so it transfers info from the CPU to memory VERY
    fast.
    AMD also has cool n quiet, when your cpu is not stressed out, it
    automatically lowers the clock speed, reduces the power consumption, and
    slows down the heatsync fan so its quieter. Pretty cool hey. AMD also has
    64 bit support, so when a 64 bit version of windows comes out, you wouldn't
    have to upgrade again.

    For the average user, both are excellent. I leave my computer on all most
    all the time, so cool and quiet is great for me, so i went for the AMD
    athlon 64.

    Jamco, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Tom Tricep

    Earl Guest

    "Tom Tricep" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any difference between these two processors? Will the Athlon
    > perform with any program out there? I am not a computer guy and want
    > simple performance. I remember somwhere in the past the Athlons were
    > not compatable with some operations.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Please comment.
    > > Tom Tricep

    AMD will usualy be a lot cheaper. I'm a system builder and it's all I
    use. I know others who would never touch an AMD proc. It's mostly a
    personal preferance any more. Once apon a time there was no way I would buy
    AMD (K5) but now they are pretty much %100 Intel compatable. (Actualy Intel
    is now adding AMD stuff to there chips!)

    So in conclusion, :), I would go AMD both for price and quality. (When's
    the last time you heard of an AMD recall??)
    Earl, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Tom Tricep

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Jamco" <> wrote in news:256rd.248298$9b.39272@edtnps84:

    > AMD has Hypertransport, so it transfers info from the CPU to memory VERY
    > fast.

    The gain in memory has nothing to do with HyperTransport. It is all about
    the on die memory controller. Intel's memory controller (as well as all
    other x86 chips) is on the northbridge of the chipset (the motherboard),
    while the Athlon 64/Opteron has the memory controller integrated into the
    CPU running at full clock speed. Generally this gives 1/2 or better
    latency over other chipsets (Intel or AMD)
    Jim Berwick, Dec 5, 2004