    performance settings"
    Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an incorrect
    cpu?

    ernie entwhistle, Feb 11, 2004

  2. 1st you need to know which chip you have (either a 266fsb or a 333fsb) then
    set the fsb on your mobo accordingly.

    --
    By *Plonk*ing me,
    you hereby admit to my

    Another Anonymous, Feb 11, 2004

  3. ernie entwhistle

    Craven Birds Guest

    "ernie entwhistle" <> wrote in message
    > I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an OEM
    > Athlon XP2600.
    > The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or a

    1300
    > depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
    > performance settings"
    > Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an incorrect
    > cpu?

    Probably the CPU is not compatible with MoBo as you say. Happens quite a
    lot:-(

    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    Craven Birds, Feb 11, 2004
  4. ernie entwhistle

    > I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an OEM
    > Athlon XP2600.
    > The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or a

    1300
    > depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
    > performance settings"
    > Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an incorrect
    > cpu?

    Set FBS of CPU to 333. That Mobo supports it. If it is still wrong the CPU
    you have is not a Athlon XP2600. IMO.

    CB

    Craven Birds, Feb 11, 2004
  5. ernie entwhistle

    ICee Guest

    ernie entwhistle wrote:
    > I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
    > OEM Athlon XP2600.
    > The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or
    > a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or
    > "High performance settings"
    > Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
    > incorrect cpu?

    Your FSB is defaulting to 100 MHz. The 2600 uses a FSB of 166 MHz
    (12.5x166 = 2.08 GHz). Go into the BIOS and set the FSB to 166 MHz.

    ICee, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Many thanks ICee! It is Most Definitely the XP 2600 that I ordered.

    Ern'

    ernie entwhistle, Feb 11, 2004
  7. ernie entwhistle

    ICee Guest

    ernie entwhistle wrote:
    > Many thanks ICee! It is Most Definitely the XP 2600 that I ordered.
    >
    > Ern'

    You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted. :)

    ICee, Feb 11, 2004
  8. ernie entwhistle

    Dumpster Guest

    | I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
    OEM
    | Athlon XP2600.
    | The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or
    a 1300
    | depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
    | performance settings"
    | Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
    incorrect
    | cpu?

    Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:
    http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/xp2600-2.htm

    --
    Dumpster

    Dumpster, Feb 11, 2004
  9. ernie entwhistle

    ICee Guest

    Dumpster wrote:
    > "ernie entwhistle" <> wrote in message
    >> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
    >> OEM Athlon XP2600.
    >> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250
    >> or a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings
    >> or "High performance settings"
    >> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
    >> incorrect cpu?
    >>

    > Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:
    > http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/xp2600-2.htm

    That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz FSB.
    There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256 KB L2
    cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the Barton core
    (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB.

    It is confusing, to be sure. :)

    ICee, Feb 11, 2004
  10. ernie entwhistle

    Craven Birds Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Dumpster wrote:
    > > "ernie entwhistle" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
    > >> OEM Athlon XP2600.
    > >> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250
    > >> or a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings
    > >> or "High performance settings"
    > >> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
    > >> incorrect cpu?
    > >>

    > > Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:
    > > http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/xp2600-2.htm

    > That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz FSB.
    > There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256 KB L2
    > cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the Barton core
    > (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB.
    >
    > It is confusing, to be sure. :)

    I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should automatically
    set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100 MHz! Or am I missing
    something?

    Craven Birds, Feb 11, 2004
  11. ernie entwhistle

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Dumpster wrote:
    >>> "ernie entwhistle" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:

    http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/xp2600-2.htm

    >> That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz
    >> FSB. There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256
    >> KB L2 cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the
    >> Barton core (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz
    >> FSB.
    >>
    >> It is confusing, to be sure. :)

    > I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should
    > automatically set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100 MHz!
    > Or am I missing something?

    If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new CPU, the BIOS
    may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a "protective"
    measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the BIOS, then power back up,
    will set the FSB to it's proper speed. If the BIOS has the abiltiy to
    manually set the FSB, it's easiest to just do that.

    ICee, Feb 11, 2004
  12. ernie entwhistle

    Craven Birds Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Craven Birds wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/xp2600-2.htm
    > >>
    > >> That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz
    > >> FSB. There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256
    > >> KB L2 cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the
    > >> Barton core (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz
    > >> FSB.
    > >>
    > >> It is confusing, to be sure. :)

    > > I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should
    > > automatically set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100 MHz!
    > > Or am I missing something?

    > If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new CPU, the BIOS
    > may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a "protective"
    > measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the BIOS, then power back up,
    > will set the FSB to it's proper speed. If the BIOS has the abiltiy to
    > manually set the FSB, it's easiest to just do that.

    Ha! Never knew that! Thanks for the info.

    Craven Birds, Feb 11, 2004
  13. ernie entwhistle

    ICee Guest

    Craven Birds wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Craven Birds wrote:
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >> http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/processor/xp2600-2.htm

    >>> I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should
    >>> automatically set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100
    >>> MHz! Or am I missing something?

    >> If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new CPU, the
    >> BIOS may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a
    >> "protective" measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the BIOS,
    >> then power back up, will set the FSB to it's proper speed. If the
    >> BIOS has the abiltiy to manually set the FSB, it's easiest to just
    >> do that.

    > Ha! Never knew that! Thanks for the info.

    You're welcome. :)

    ICee, Feb 11, 2004
  14. ernie entwhistle

    Micio Guest

    Hello "ICee" !!
    Now I am really confused with the Speed of Athlon.
    I have Intel at the present and considering to upgrade
    to a faster toy like Athlon but after reading all the news,
    I think I will stick with Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is
    faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP has lots of holes
    only a few patches,and is more aerodynamically
    designed therefore is faster. Sorry Guys *Micio*

    Micio, Feb 11, 2004
  15. Micio wrote:

    > like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
    > Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
    > has lots of holes

    I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
    between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 12, 2004
  16. ernie entwhistle

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Micio wrote:

    >> like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
    >> has lots of holes

    > I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
    > between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

    It's no big deal. My donut has way more sprinkles than that -- of
    course, that still doesn't explain why there is no swingarm on the back
    of a schoolbus.

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Feb 13, 2004
  17. ernie entwhistle

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Micio wrote:
    >
    > > like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
    > > Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
    > > has lots of holes

    > I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
    > between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

    What's an "Anthlon"?

    OH, I KNOW, it's an Athlon powered by ants!

    Heh, heh, heh!

    Mark Mandell, Feb 13, 2004
  18. ernie entwhistle

    \x@y\/Micio Guest

    Hello "Blinky" !!
    After reading all the Posts on Athlon I had that
    uncontrollable urge to Post a Joke about It.
    I noticed You Edited my original Post You took
    the patches out.
    I know the difference between OPs. & Motherboards.
    Thanks for Your Input. x@y/micio

    \x@y\/Micio, Feb 13, 2004
  19. Mark Mandell wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Micio wrote:

    >> > like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
    >> > Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
    >> > has lots of holes

    >> I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
    >> between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

    > What's an "Anthlon"?

    An Athlon and a totally ignored on-the-fly spellchecker. :)

    > OH, I KNOW, it's an Athlon powered by ants!

    Spinning teeeeenytiny little hamster wheels for power.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2004
  20. "x@y"/Micio wrote:
    > Hello "Blinky" !!
    > After reading all the Posts on Athlon I had that
    > uncontrollable urge to Post a Joke about It.
    > I noticed You Edited my original Post You took
    > the patches out.
    > I know the difference between OPs. & Motherboards.
    > Thanks for Your Input. x@y/micio

    I don't "edit" quotes. I'll snip lines, as long as the meaning doesn't
    change.

    What patches?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2004