Athlon X2 BE-2400 temperature readings?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Peter, Jan 20, 2008.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi,

    I have an Athlon X2 BE-2400 Dual Core CPU with a Scythe Mugen Cooler
    (formerly known as Scythe Ninja) on an Asus M2N Sli Deluxe mainboard.

    This processor is puzzling me coz I can't get a credible or decent core
    temperature reading... Core Temp says both CPU cores are around 1-3 degree
    Celsius idle, on 50% load (per core) this goes up to 14-15 degrees Celsius.
    Both Asus Probe and Bios get temperatures around 30 degrees idle while
    Speedfan goes crazy and doesnt know what to do, I got one reading that said
    99 degrees C!! Everest Home doesnt even recognize the CPU ('type unknown')
    but it gave me about the same readings as Core Temp did for my old Athlon 64
    X2 4200+.

    To my knowledge Core Temp is the most reliable in monitoring CPU temps, as
    it measures the thermal diodes within the CPU (cores). Also the BE-2400 is
    low power consuming (45W), I have heard people running it stressed on
    passive cooling without problems and CPU never even got very warm (more like
    handwarm).

    But; 1-3 degrees C is almost too good to be true, 30 C is more likely but on
    the other hand it's almost the same as my old X2 4200 (78W) idle and one
    should expect the BE-2400 to be cooler ... anyway; the more I try, the more
    confused I get...

    I suspect Asus Probe software and Bios are reading PWM or some other
    environmental temperatures... specs and manual of the Asus M2N mainboard
    dont mention anything about temperature monitoring, other than how to use
    Asus Probe.

    I havent been able to find any info on reading X2 BE-2400 temps, maybe it's
    not very well documented because it isn't one of AMD's mainstream CPU's.

    Does anyone here have any (conclusive) information on this?

    Complete system info;

    - AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 (socket AM2)
    - Scythe Mugen (aka Ninja) CPU Cooler
    - Asus M2N Sli Deluxe
    - Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048 (2 x 1GB DDR2 6400)
    - 2 x WD Caviar RE 400GB SATA/150
    - 1x WD Caviar SE16 400GB SATA/150
    - 1 x Maxtor MaxLine III 320GB SATA/150
    - Samsung SH-S182 DVD/RW
    - Spire Rocketeer IV SP-ATX-600W
    - XFX Geforce 7900GT
    - Zalman Vf-900 GPU Cooler
    - Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    - Cooler Master Stacker 832 (fans; 1 Cooler Master 120mm, 3 Tacens Aura
    120mm)

    TIA

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 20, 2008

  2. Peter

    JonJ

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Athlon 4200 X2 temperature readings

    Peter,

    Interesting that you should have this issue. I just built a second AMD 4200-based PC, this time with a Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 mobo (w/EVGA 6200 LE graphics card) as opposed to a ECS mobo (w/built-in graphics). Both the BIOS and Speed Fan are reporting core temp at 30C on the new Gigabyte (room temp 20.7 C), but I'm used to seeing core temps on the ECS board only 1C above room temp! My new rig uses a Cooler Master Mystique (2x120 mm system fans) w/ Cooler Master 600W (120 mm) power supply, 120 GB WD PATA (IDE) hard drive.

    JonJ, Feb 24, 2008