Athlon, Celeron, Duron, Sempron????????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shirley Azvedo, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?
    Shirley Azvedo, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Shirley Azvedo wrote:
    > What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    > Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

    Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
    Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
    have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
    best though.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Shirley Azvedo

    BIG NIGE Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Shirley Azvedo wrote:
    > > What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    > > Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

    > Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
    > Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
    > have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
    > best though.

    It probably is the best though because Athlon Dual Processors talk to each
    other much faster than Pentium Dual Processors cos they dont go via the FSB.
    BIG NIGE, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Shirley Azvedo

    Martik Guest

    "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    > What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    > Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

    Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there will
    be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the summer
    and see no difference in basic application performance.
    Martik, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Martik wrote:

    > "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    >> What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    >> Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?
    >>

    > Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there will
    > be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the summer
    > and see no difference in basic application performance.

    What kind of temp savings do you get by underclocking that much, Martik?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2005
  6. BIG NIGE wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Shirley Azvedo wrote:
    >>
    >>>What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    >>>Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

    >>Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
    >>Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
    >>have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
    >>best though.

    > It probably is the best though because Athlon Dual Processors talk to each
    > other much faster than Pentium Dual Processors cos they dont go via the FSB.

    I got my 4200 X2 in a couple of days ago, got the system mostly built.
    Couldn't afford the $500 spread between the 4200 and the 4800. It better
    be good.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Shirley Azvedo

    Martik Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Martik wrote:
    > >
    > > "Shirley Azvedo" <> wrote in message
    > >> What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
    > >> Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?
    > >>

    > > Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there

    will
    > > be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the

    summer
    > > and see no difference in basic application performance.

    > What kind of temp savings do you get by underclocking that much, Martik?

    3-4C but more importantly it reduces fan noise a little (volcano 7)
    Martik, Aug 10, 2005