Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron???

    Is an Athlon XP the exact same chip as an Athlon? If there is/are any
    differences what might they be?
    I bought a used ASUS A7V333 motherboard and the box says that it supports
    Athlon/Athlon XP. This leads me to believe that there are some
    differences.
    Can anybody tell me what is the fastest processor that this board will
    support? It previously had an Athlon or Athlon XP 1700 CPU installed; the
    seller didn't remember which and why would I want a Athlon XP over an
    Athlon or vice versa?
    And what about Duron? The users manual says that it will also support
    Duron. What is a Duron?
    I have been an Intel user for the last 15 years or so. My last AMD CPU
    was a 40Mhz. They didn't even have Athlons or Durons back then so I'm
    completely in the dark. Please enlighten me.
    Any/all accurate information will be appreciated.
    TIA
    jj

    Jerry, Mar 11, 2006

  2. (Jerry), moaned in
    <SVyQf.3729$>:

    > Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron???

    (Jerry), it's your boyfriend. [on the telephone]

    > Is an Athlon XP the exact same chip as an Athlon? If there is/are any
    > differences what might they be? I bought a used ASUS A7V333
    > motherboard and the box says that it supports Athlon/Athlon XP.

    I am the only person in my family who is completely computer illiterate.

    > This leads me to believe that there are some differences.

    Some exciting life you've got there.

    > Can anybody tell me what is the fastest processor that this board will
    > support? It previously had an Athlon or Athlon XP 1700 CPU installed;
    > the seller didn't remember which and why would I want a Athlon XP over
    > an Athlon or vice versa? And what about Duron? The users manual says
    > that it will also support Duron.

    Ask someone else to tell you what is the fastest processor that that
    board will support. I will not.

    > What is a Duron? I have been an Intel user for the last 15 years or
    > so.

    I've told you that for years.

    > My last AMD CPU was a 40Mhz.

    You must get a lot of that in this business.

    > Yes, but life is a challenge in general.

    It could be worse, (Jerry). You could have lost your only testicle.

    > They didn't even have Athlons or Durons back then so I'm completely in
    > the dark.

    They aren't? [Mockingly]

    > Please enlighten me.

    Aren't you polite. Get fucked. The answer is no.

    > Any/all accurate information will be appreciated.

    Will you please explain what you are trying to teach here?

    > TIA jj.

    Get fucked in advance.

    -------------
    Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

    Barney Tehbot, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Jerry

    John Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:56:34 GMT, (Jerry) wrote:

    >Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron???
    >

    >Is an Athlon XP the exact same chip as an Athlon? If there is/are any
    >differences what might they be?
    >I bought a used ASUS A7V333 motherboard and the box says that it supports
    >Athlon/Athlon XP. This leads me to believe that there are some
    >differences.
    >Can anybody tell me what is the fastest processor that this board will
    >support? It previously had an Athlon or Athlon XP 1700 CPU installed; the
    >seller didn't remember which and why would I want a Athlon XP over an
    >Athlon or vice versa?
    >And what about Duron? The users manual says that it will also support
    >Duron. What is a Duron?
    >I have been an Intel user for the last 15 years or so. My last AMD CPU
    >was a 40Mhz. They didn't even have Athlons or Durons back then so I'm
    >completely in the dark. Please enlighten me.
    >Any/all accurate information will be appreciated.
    >TIA
    >jj

    Athlon XP3000+ (333mhz fsb)
    with bios ver 1017

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7V333

    John, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Jerry

    Tony Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:56:34 GMT, (Jerry) wrote:
    >
    >>Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron???
    >>

    >>Is an Athlon XP the exact same chip as an Athlon? If there is/are any
    >>differences what might they be?
    >>I bought a used ASUS A7V333 motherboard and the box says that it supports
    >>Athlon/Athlon XP. This leads me to believe that there are some
    >>differences.
    >>Can anybody tell me what is the fastest processor that this board will
    >>support? It previously had an Athlon or Athlon XP 1700 CPU installed; the
    >>seller didn't remember which and why would I want a Athlon XP over an
    >>Athlon or vice versa?
    >>And what about Duron? The users manual says that it will also support
    >>Duron. What is a Duron?
    >>I have been an Intel user for the last 15 years or so. My last AMD CPU
    >>was a 40Mhz. They didn't even have Athlons or Durons back then so I'm
    >>completely in the dark. Please enlighten me.
    >>Any/all accurate information will be appreciated.
    >>TIA
    >>jj

    > Athlon XP3000+ (333mhz fsb)
    > with bios ver 1017
    >
    > http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7V333

    But save your money if you can get a XP2000 as the performance difference
    isn't that great (I upgraded from a XP2000 to XP3000 and noticed hardly ant
    difference). The biggest performance leap is with the XP3200. You may also
    be able to use a Sempron which replaces some of the slower Athlons if you
    have a version 2.0 or above board.

    Board versions of 2.0 and above will support XP3000 because they are 333FSB
    capable. Lower versions can only support up to XP2600 (266FSB) even with
    BIOS upgrade although you can use a higher speed processor but it will just
    run at the slower speed.

    Tony, Mar 11, 2006
  5. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    In article <duuo8r$4dh$>, says...

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:56:34 GMT, (Jerry) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron???
    >>>

    >>>Is an Athlon XP the exact same chip as an Athlon? If there is/are any
    >>>differences what might they be?
    >>>I bought a used ASUS A7V333 motherboard and the box says that it

    supports
    >>>Athlon/Athlon XP. This leads me to believe that there are some
    >>>differences.
    >>>Can anybody tell me what is the fastest processor that this board will
    >>>support? It previously had an Athlon or Athlon XP 1700 CPU installed;

    the
    >>>seller didn't remember which and why would I want a Athlon XP over an
    >>>Athlon or vice versa?
    >>>And what about Duron? The users manual says that it will also support
    >>>Duron. What is a Duron?
    >>>I have been an Intel user for the last 15 years or so. My last AMD CPU
    >>>was a 40Mhz. They didn't even have Athlons or Durons back then so I'm
    >>>completely in the dark. Please enlighten me.
    >>>Any/all accurate information will be appreciated.
    >>>TIA
    >>>jj

    >> Athlon XP3000+ (333mhz fsb)
    >> with bios ver 1017
    >>

    >>http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model

    =A7V333

    >But save your money if you can get a XP2000 as the performance difference
    >isn't that great (I upgraded from a XP2000 to XP3000 and noticed hardly

    ant
    >difference). The biggest performance leap is with the XP3200. You may

    also
    >be able to use a Sempron which replaces some of the slower Athlons if you
    >have a version 2.0 or above board.
    >
    >Board versions of 2.0 and above will support XP3000 because they are

    333FSB
    >capable. Lower versions can only support up to XP2600 (266FSB) even with
    >BIOS upgrade although you can use a higher speed processor but it will

    just
    >run at the slower speed.

    Thanks.
    jj

    Jerry, Mar 11, 2006
  6. Jerry

    Box134 Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon

    About the best summary of the Athlon chips I've ever seen. Much better than
    AMD's.

    Box134, Mar 13, 2006