atheros 5005g disabled

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by deltabob, May 6, 2006.

  1. deltabob

    deltabob Guest

    wireless newbe

    My new Toshiba laptop came with a Atheros 5005g wireless card

    and winxp home. Bought a Linksys wrt54gs wireless router.

    Here is my problem. Winxp shows that the 5005g card is

    disabled and when I try to enable it, it still shows it to

    be disabled. Read in the news group that there is a on/off

    switch, is this a physical switch and if so where is it

    located?

    2nd question: Can I delete the Atheros software and reinstall

    it without removing the card? Any help or ideas will be

    appreciated.

    deltabob

    deltabob, May 6, 2006

  2. deltabob

    Malke Guest

    deltabob wrote:

    > wireless newbe
    >
    > My new Toshiba laptop came with a Atheros 5005g wireless card
    >
    > and winxp home. Bought a Linksys wrt54gs wireless router.
    >
    > Here is my problem. Winxp shows that the 5005g card is
    >
    > disabled and when I try to enable it, it still shows it to
    >
    > be disabled. Read in the news group that there is a on/off
    >
    > switch, is this a physical switch and if so where is it
    >
    > located?
    >
    > 2nd question: Can I delete the Atheros software and reinstall
    >
    > it without removing the card? Any help or ideas will be
    >
    > appreciated.
    >
    > deltabob

    When you get a new device, it is always a good idea to RTFM. The "Fine
    Manual" is probably already installed on your hard drive. Look for a
    small switch or toggle on the laptop. Reviewing the Fine Manual's
    pictures of the different buttons on your laptop will show you where
    the switch is located.

    There is no reason to delete the Atheros software. I'm assuming that
    there is no separate "Atheros card" and that wireless is built into the
    laptop otherwise your first question makes no sense.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, May 6, 2006

  3. The Toshiba Laptop has a switch on your right side of the machine. You may
    have to use the CD and reinstall the WI-FI card.
    --
    Wash and work

    =?Utf-8?B?YmlsbG5iYw==?=, May 6, 2006
  4. deltabob

    deltabob Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 14:09:04 GMT, deltabob <>
    wrote:

    Getting closer. I found the on/off swich on the front side, its for

    the wireless antenna. Pushed it and the light came on but winxp

    still shows the card is disabled. Where do I go from here.

    deltabob

    deltabob, May 6, 2006