Athens, GA: Inside Out

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JONA99, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. JONA99

    JONA99 Guest

    I squealed like a schoolgirl when I found this on DVD today, even though that
    iconic cover photo of scary BBQ Killer Laura Carter's been replaced by Michael
    Stipe. I lived near Athens in the mid-80s and knew many of the people/places
    depicted, so my videocassette's long worn-out; I never thought it would see the
    light of day on disc -- with, according to the box, a commentary and a 5.1
    surround mix to boot!

    Unfortunately...

    The 5.1 mix is hands down the worst I've ever heard. What you get is the same
    mono sound through all five speakers, overmodulated and static-y in the
    surrounds. Impossible to listen to. Thank God there's a 2.0 mix, which still
    sounds mono but at least is limited to the front speakers .

    As for the commentary, it's an endurance test as well. The producer and
    director are watching the film for the first time in 10 years, so they're
    silent for much of it, and since we can't hear the film's soundtrack, we get
    long periods of nothing but breathing and swallowing sounds. To make matters
    worse, when they do talk, their microphones keep blanking out and the
    conversation is riddled with dropouts.

    Still, there are some interesting anecdotes for those of us who were fans of
    the Athens scene (I didn't know Laura Carter died; does anyone know how?) and
    it's a must for anyone into indie music. (One of the extras is a brief
    interview with Jack White, acknowledging the Flat Duo Jets' influence) Now
    if we can get "Urgh: a Music War" and "Decline of Western Civilization" on DVD,
    my '80s music memories will be complete...

    JONA99, Nov 11, 2003

  2. JONA99

    madkevin Guest

    "JONA99" <> wrote in message

    > Still, there are some interesting anecdotes for those of us who were fans of
    > the Athens scene (I didn't know Laura Carter died; does anyone know how?) and
    > it's a must for anyone into indie music. (One of the extras is a brief
    > interview with Jack White, acknowledging the Flat Duo Jets' influence) Now
    > if we can get "Urgh: a Music War" and "Decline of Western Civilization" on

    DVD,
    > my '80s music memories will be complete...

    I'd love to see "D.O.A.", the chronicle of the Sex Pistols infamous first tour
    through the Southern United States culminating in their break-up at the San
    Francisco show. I taped the movie off of CityTV from Toronto and must have
    watched it a million times in high school.

    Kevin "Sham 69" Cogliano

    madkevin, Nov 11, 2003

  3. JONA99

    JONA99 Guest

    Forgot about "DOA." That Sid Vicious dozing off scene is priceless. And
    while we're at it, bring on the "Another State of Mind" doc, on the road w/a
    very young Social Distortion and Youth Brigade. Night Flight used to play it
    all the time when I was a kid. Ah, memories...

    JONA99, Nov 12, 2003