Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Chris, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
    the Hardware cost.

    Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
    in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
    connection.

    If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
    Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
    and special line cords which treble the price.

    If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.

    I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
    cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
    analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
    line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
    VOIP calls

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Chris

    paul123 Guest

    Re: Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
    > the Hardware cost.
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
    > in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
    > connection.
    >
    > If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
    > Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
    > and special line cords which treble the price.
    >
    > If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.
    >
    > I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
    > cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
    > analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
    > line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
    > VOIP calls

    Aterisk Hardware Expensive? - daunted by the Hardware cost. -

    It doesn't have to be expensive. An old PC (500mhz + 256 ram) + another
    4 Pap2s + a sipura 3000 ATA for your incoming PSTN calls and you're
    there. With your current PAP2 that gives you 11 extensions. A minimum
    system like that should be able to handle 2/3 calls at once. A faster
    processor with more RAM will let you handle more.

    You could possibly do away with one of your external lines. If you need
    a 2nd (3rd, 4th or whatever) incoming line, why not use a (voip) geo
    incoming number.

    Cisco products are, um, pricey.

    paul123, Apr 22, 2006

  3. Re: Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

    paul123 wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >> I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
    >> the Hardware cost.
    >>
    >> Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
    >> in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
    >> Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
    >> and special line cords which treble the price.
    >>
    >> If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
    >> cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
    >> analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
    >> line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
    >> VOIP calls

    > Aterisk Hardware Expensive? - daunted by the Hardware cost. -
    >
    > It doesn't have to be expensive. An old PC (500mhz + 256 ram) + another
    > 4 Pap2s + a sipura 3000 ATA for your incoming PSTN calls and you're
    > there. With your current PAP2 that gives you 11 extensions. A minimum
    > system like that should be able to handle 2/3 calls at once. A faster
    > processor with more RAM will let you handle more.

    I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware that they sent me
    has been solid as a rock). ($120 each+VAT).

    It is a bit more expensive than a PAP2, but does support G.729 and G.726
    simultaneously on all 4 channels (so no need to transcode or pay for
    licences for the asterisk server reducing bandwidth utilisation and
    runtime.)

    They also support T.38 (which with the T.38-patch for asterisk at the
    moment will allow you to utilise this in pass-thru mode), which makes
    them more useful for sending faxes than by using a TDM card (if you
    terminate with a supplier who supports this).

    (I haven't tested the T.38 functionality beyond seeing the ATA request
    it's use).

    If you have 10/11 extensions that you will be using, then you will
    probably need to use a compressed codec for audio traffic (like G.729)
    on a normal broadband connection and preferably a supplier that supports
    trunked IAX (like gradwell, who only charge you a monthly fee if you
    require an incoming number).

    > You could possibly do away with one of your external lines. If you need
    > a 2nd (3rd, 4th or whatever) incoming line, why not use a (voip) geo
    > incoming number.

    This is generally much cheaper, especially if you are routing your calls
    using voip, and if you're not the OP should have been in the
    asterisk-users mailing list :p

    > Cisco products are, um, pricey.

    Apparently it's because they work.

    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 22, 2006
  4. Chris

    J C Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > paul123 wrote:
    >> Chris wrote:
    >> You could possibly do away with one of your external lines. If you
    >> need a 2nd (3rd, 4th or whatever) incoming line, why not use a
    >> (voip) geo incoming number.
    >>

    > This is generally much cheaper, especially if you are routing your
    > calls using voip, and if you're not the OP should have been in the
    > asterisk-users mailing list :p
    >
    >> Cisco products are, um, pricey.
    >>

    > Apparently it's because they work.

    My first ATA was a bt voice cisco (I think) one which was crap, at least it
    didn't reliably ring an anolgue PBX line. I sent it back because of that and
    because it was eating into my capped allowance.

    J C, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Chris

    Guest

    Re: Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:25:32 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    <> wrote:

    >I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware that they sent me
    >has been solid as a rock).

    Any chance you could send me a copy of that firmware? Not to the
    despammed address, though. That appears to be broken.

    , Apr 23, 2006
  6. Chris

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:25:32 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware
    > > that they sent me has been solid as a rock).

    > Any chance you could send me a copy of that firmware? Not
    > to the despammed address, though. That appears to be
    > broken.

    Despammed has been broken for months. Damned annoying, but there it is :-(

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Re: Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:25:32 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware that they sent me
    >> has been solid as a rock).

    > Any chance you could send me a copy of that firmware? Not to the
    > despammed address, though. That appears to be broken.

    Sure, to which address?

    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Chris

    Ian Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
    > the Hardware cost.

    Nothing in this world is free.
    ..>
    > Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
    > in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
    > connection.

    Yes or an ATA but its beat to have some form of zaptel card even as a timing
    source

    > If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
    > Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
    > and special line cords which treble the price.

    Cisco dont use the standard POEs but treble the price !!! even cisco cant
    sell a POE for between £400 and £800 each
    a normal standard POE is £15 and uses a standard cat5 lead

    > If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.

    As above

    > I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
    > cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
    > analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
    > line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
    > VOIP calls

    Whats the budget? Quality hand sets are between £70 and £150 POE is between
    £15 and £25 per port if you use midspans So for 10 extensions Budget
    £700 -£1000, But bear in mind that the licences alone for a Nortel Cisco or
    Mitel Voip system will be more than than.

    Ian
    www.cyber-cottage.co.uk

    Ian, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:43:01 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    I've seen used Cisco Voip 7905 handsets on the net for £10-£20 which
    I understand can be reprogrammed for SIP, what I don't understand is
    power injection etc>

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Chris

    Ian Guest

    > I've seen used Cisco Voip 7905 handsets on the net for £10-£20 which
    > I understand can be reprogrammed for SIP, what I don't understand is
    > power injection etc>

    Well Go for it ;-), But expect to be a bit upset though. The rrp for the
    phone is about £100 the Sip licence £55 and a Cisco POE is £35. So if you
    are expecting a £10-£20 one to be OK and you are confdent that you can get
    the firmware then you may have a bargain.

    Ian

    Ian, Apr 26, 2006