    TIA,

    --
    Mark
    Mark, Jul 20, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Mark <> writes:
    > Pardon my ignorance....
    >
    > What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA? Are multiple FXS

    The SPA-3000 is noticably lower REN than my BT line. It struggles
    to ring all the phones, whereas the BT line has no problem at all.
    I am probably around a total REN of 4 though, maybe a little over.

    There's a parameter "FXS Port Power Limit" which I've tried changing,
    but it makes no difference I can detect. There's also a setting for
    ring voltage, which I haven't tried changing yet (set to default 70V).

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Jul 20, 2005

  3. On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:10:53 +0100, Mark <>
    wrote:

    >What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA?

    I read in a manual that one of mine was REN=5

    > Are multiple FXS
    >ports (where provided) to allow support for multiple service providers
    >(one per port) or to support multiple phones on one service?

    the former. If you want 5 phones on one service you buy a stack of one
    plug to 3 socket adapters or the like :)

    >Or perhaps both depending on config??

    possibly. Most two socket jobs run two accounts. There's a one
    socket-two account device too.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Mark

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Pardon my ignorance....
    >
    > What is the REN of a typical FXS port on an ATA? Are multiple FXS
    > ports (where provided) to allow support for multiple service providers
    > (one per port) or to support multiple phones on one service?

    The Sipura range (SPA-2000 etc. are typically REN 3 per port, as opposed
    to 4 on a BT line.

    Re. multiple ports, each is configurable separately in most cases.

    > Or perhaps both depending on config??

    Not usually, although the Fritz!Box Fon from AVM can be configured to
    allow phones connected to both ports to ring simultaneously if a call
    comes in on any or all lines connected, including a fixed (analogue or
    ISDN) line.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Try changing the ring voltage to 90v.

    Paul Westwell, Jul 21, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "Ivor Jones" <> writes:

    > The Sipura range (SPA-2000 etc. are typically REN 3 per port, as opposed
    > to 4 on a BT line.

    A BT line is a minimum of 4. Most BT lines will actually be
    quite a bit higher, unless you are on a maximum length line
    from the exchange.

    (Fond memories of taking prototype telephone apparatus up
    to Baynard House to get BT to tell us what REN number we
    could stick on it... ;-)

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Jul 22, 2005