    but having looked through her cds I'm pretty certain she doesn't have one.
    In the end I had to leave it and come home and appeal for help. So HELP!!

    She's running 98SE, 60G HDD, 64 RAM, AMD 800 processor by the way.
    Steffi, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Steffi

    Wizard Guest

    Put a emergency boot disk in a: and boot to it. At the A: prompt type:
    fdisk/mbr [enter] then type: sys c: [enter]. shut down, remove floppy
    and boot normally with all your drives empty.

    Wizard, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Steffi

    Steffi Guest

    "Gerry Nance" <> wrote in message
    > >From: Wizard
    > >

    > >Newsgroups: alt.computer, alt.computer.workshop

    > >Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 16:56:22 GMT

    > >Put a emergency boot disk in a: and boot to it. At the A: prompt type:
    > >fdisk/mbr [enter] then type: sys c: [enter]. shut down, remove floppy
    > >and boot normally with all your drives empty.

    > And if you don't have an emergency boot disk, then you need the Win98SE CD

    > make one.
    >
    > How is it going?
    >

    > Gerry Nance

    Many thanks for your suggestions - daughter lives 30miles away so not had a
    chance to try anything yet. going over later this morning. Can I make a
    98boot disk on my own pc first, - bearing in mind that I am running XP? I've
    hd a look at www.bootdisk.com but don't know which boot disk she needs -
    "Windows 98 SE OEM" or
    "Windows 98 SE Custom, No Ramdrive". I have the original win 98 that was
    installed on her pc.
    Can anyone advise?
    thanks
    Steffi, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Steffi

    Steffi Guest

    OK, so I've tried booting from the floppy. It seemed to work, showed windows
    was starting then stuck on the C prompt. Tried C/; startup etc with no
    luck. (Did notice that during the start up there was the message "PCI
    device detect failed -device not found" and Creative SB16 Emulation driver
    not loading" Daughter states these massages have appeared on each boot and
    are because she had a new sound card installed and it still searches for the
    old one.

    So I tried altering it so it booted from the cd rom and went through the
    process of installing win 98 again. Seemed to go fine until it rebooted and
    started searching for installed hardware. Then I got the error message
    "Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VWIN32 (01) +00000714 to device 00009
    service 1. Windows configuration is invalid."

    Ignoring it and carrying on just brought me round again and again to the
    same point. I really don't want to have to format and reinstall - mainly
    because I don't know how to, but also because although she's backed up most
    of her data etc., she won't have backed up her address book, messages etc
    and is unlikely to be able to find the drivers disks etc that go with
    reformatting everything. Anyone any suggestions for simply reinstalling Win
    98 without formatting or else repairing the current installation?
    Steffi, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Steffi

    Neil Green Guest

    "Steffi" <> wrote in message
    > OK, so I've tried booting from the floppy. It seemed to work, showed

    windows
    > was starting then stuck on the C prompt. Tried C/; startup etc with no
    > luck. (Did notice that during the start up there was the message "PCI
    > device detect failed -device not found" and Creative SB16 Emulation driver
    > not loading" Daughter states these massages have appeared on each boot

    and
    > are because she had a new sound card installed and it still searches for

    the
    > old one.
    >

    > So I tried altering it so it booted from the cd rom and went through the
    > process of installing win 98 again. Seemed to go fine until it rebooted

    and
    > started searching for installed hardware. Then I got the error message
    > "Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VWIN32 (01) +00000714 to device 00009
    > service 1. Windows configuration is invalid."
    >
    > Ignoring it and carrying on just brought me round again and again to the
    > same point. I really don't want to have to format and reinstall - mainly
    > because I don't know how to, but also because although she's backed up

    most
    > of her data etc., she won't have backed up her address book, messages etc
    > and is unlikely to be able to find the drivers disks etc that go with
    > reformatting everything. Anyone any suggestions for simply reinstalling

    Win
    > 98 without formatting or else repairing the current installation?
    >
    >Hi Steffi

    Try This::
    Boot from Win 98 boot disk which you've said you can make on your PC.
    If your CD is an upgrade version, you'll need a copy of an older OS (Win3.x
    for Win95upgrage, Win3.x or Win95 for Win98upgrade).
    Remove any DOS drivers:
    At the c:\ prompt type,
    del autoexec.*
    del config.*
    Make sure the new installation won't see the old one. In order to do that,
    type:
    cd windows
    ren win.com win.co-
    cd \
    ren windows windows.old
    ren progra~1 progra~1.old
    Install!
    E:\win98 (if E is the CD drive :)
    setup
    Now, you'll have a fresh Win9x installation. All the files from the old
    installation will be in c:\windows.old and c:\progra~1.old, from which you
    can recover whatever information you want. After you're done, you can remove
    these directories to save space.

    * If you have any DOS-based programs that rely on specific Autoexec, Config
    or "Boot to previous version of MSDOS" configurations, this procedure may
    render them inoperational.
    Neil Green, Sep 7, 2003