ATA recommendations please

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by jkn, Jun 28, 2007.

  1. jkn

    jkn Guest

    Hi All
    I'm a newcomer to the practicals of VoIP, but technically savvy
    generally. I'm setting VoIP capability at home for the first time.
    Initially it's as a second number for occasional business use. I'm
    seeking suggestions as to what ATA to buy.

    I have a fondness for hackable/open-ish hardware. If I was starting
    from scratch I'd probably buy a Draytek VoIP wireless router, but as
    of now I have a Netgear DG834G router to plug into.

    I see I can buy an unlocked Linksys PAP2 from eBay for not much money.
    With the research I've done so far I'm not clear what advantages the
    more expensive options, like the SPA-3000 (where do you buy these
    from?) offer, so I'd be interested in learning more. I don't want to
    pay over the odds for facilities I won't need; I would like to have
    something that doesn't lock me in and allows me to tinker a bit
    (sigh...).

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    jon N

    jkn, Jun 28, 2007

  2. jkn

    Paul Hayes Guest

    jkn wrote:
    > Hi All
    > I'm a newcomer to the practicals of VoIP, but technically savvy
    > generally. I'm setting VoIP capability at home for the first time.
    > Initially it's as a second number for occasional business use. I'm
    > seeking suggestions as to what ATA to buy.
    >
    > I have a fondness for hackable/open-ish hardware. If I was starting
    > from scratch I'd probably buy a Draytek VoIP wireless router, but as
    > of now I have a Netgear DG834G router to plug into.
    >
    > I see I can buy an unlocked Linksys PAP2 from eBay for not much money.
    > With the research I've done so far I'm not clear what advantages the
    > more expensive options, like the SPA-3000 (where do you buy these
    > from?) offer, so I'd be interested in learning more. I don't want to
    > pay over the odds for facilities I won't need; I would like to have
    > something that doesn't lock me in and allows me to tinker a bit
    > (sigh...).
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts.
    >
    > jon N

    Hi Jon,

    A Linksys PAP2T would be a good start. It depends what you want really,
    that will allow you to plug in two analogue phones and use them as IP
    phones. An SPA-3000 would allow you to connect one analogue phone and
    also one telephone line so you can gateway calls to and from the "BT"
    line through VoIP. As well as using the same handset to make and
    receive calls for both analogue and VoIP.

    The SPA-3000 has been replaced with the SPA-3102, the price should be
    pretty much the same but the 3102 also includes basic router & NAT
    functionality, you can turn this off if you want and just use the thing
    like an SPA-3000.

    Of course, you don't have to get an ATA. Dedicated IP phones are
    available. The Siemens C460IP or S450IP are good ones because they are
    DECT, support the SIP protocol and you can also connect an analogue
    phone line to it. The S450IP allows you to register with up to 6
    different VoIP service providers at once (but the limiting factor is two
    simultaneous VoIP calls at any one time).

    You can find the products here:

    http://www.provoip.co.uk/siemens.php

    But plenty of other places sell them too ;)

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Jun 28, 2007

  3. jkn

    nick777

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    I have pretty much the same question.

    The PAP2 is not an option for me as I would like to have POTS backup (if the network is down). So I was thinking about either the Siemens C460 (around £80) or my existing (basic BT) DECT together with the SPA-3102 or HandyTone 386.

    Is it possible to use the POTS directly with the SPA-3102 (does it switch to POTS when the network is down for example)?

    Is there a difference in sound quality between a Siemens IP phone and a standard phone+ATA?

    nick777, Jun 28, 2007
  4. jkn

    nick777

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Hi all,

    I have pretty much the same question.

    The PAP2 is not really an option for me as I would like a POTS backup. So I was thinking about either the Siemens C460 (about £80) or my existing (basic BT) DECT together with the SPA-3102 or the HandyTone 386.

    Does the SPA-3102 automatically switch to POTS if the network is down (the HT386 seems to do that)?

    Is there any noticeable quality difference between an IP phone (Siemens) and an analog+ATA?

    Thanks

    Nick

    nick777, Jun 28, 2007
  5. I did exactly what you are intending and found that call quality was OK when there was no other IP
    traffic on the connection. As soon as anything else started generating traffic the call quality was
    abysmal, making the phone unusable. Email send/receive, downloading etc all clobbered the VOIP
    completely.

    In order to make it work on a shared connection you need a router that has VOIP Quality of Service
    so that the VOIP packets get priority. I have a fritzbox 7140 and it works a treat. Call quality is
    excellent even when the bandwidth is flooded with other traffic.

    HTH - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Jun 28, 2007
  6. jkn

    jkn Guest

    Hi Chaps
    Thanks for your comments. I've decided to go for an SPA-3102; I
    take the point about QoS but I think I should be able to limit
    bandwidth at the time of using the 'phone. Experimentation will tell
    me if I'm right or not.

    Tho' the ability to hack the Fritzbox is tempting...

    Cheers
    Jon N

    jkn, Jun 29, 2007