    the differences (if any) between the Zoom 5800 and 5805? Any other cheaper
    alternatives other than this Zoom ATA? Any recommendation is really
    appreciated.

    Wira One, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Wira One

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:59:01 GMT, Wira One <>
    wrote:

    >I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
    >calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
    >house but this is confusing to the children/wife. Most of the time they'll
    >use the NTL line rather than VOIP set. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom
    >VOIP ATA 5805 which has so-called Teleport port. Will I be able to
    >make/receive call through my land line with this particular ATA? What is
    >the differences (if any) between the Zoom 5800 and 5805? Any other cheaper
    >alternatives other than this Zoom ATA? Any recommendation is really
    >appreciated.

    According to this page
    http://tinyurl.com/k7dct
    you can use it with PSTN and VoIP. The price is remarkably low
    compared to the competition. Someone else might comment on how good
    the device is compared to the Linksys/Sipura SPA-3000 which does a
    similar job. Looking at the documentation on this page
    http://tinyurl.com/hy5qw
    it gives the impression of being rather featureless, compared to the
    SPA-3000, but then the price is considerably lower.
    The SPA-3000 is just short of £60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
    a good price.

    I am not too sure how easy it is to use the unit with more than one
    outgoing provider.

    If you are on NTL, and can subscribe to 'broadband only', you might
    consider dropping the landline totally. You could get an ATA that
    would do 2 lines and let the kids have a line of their own.
    Perhaps, if you decided to go down that road you could give it a dry
    run before you had your PSTN line disconnected.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Wira One

    Wira One Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

    > it gives the impression of being rather featureless, compared to the
    > SPA-3000, but then the price is considerably lower.
    > The SPA-3000 is just short of £60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
    > a good price.

    Thanks Brian, I have had the impression that SPA3000 is too expensive for
    me before and that why I didn't take it into consideration at all. It
    seems after Linksys taken over the brand from Sipura, it is now at an
    affordable price.

    > I am not too sure how easy it is to use the unit with more than one
    > outgoing provider.

    Well, I am on Voipstunt right now and rarely using my sipgate account to
    make a call, as such, I will not miss the two line accounts feature that
    my current PAP2 has.

    > If you are on NTL, and can subscribe to 'broadband only', you might
    > consider dropping the landline totally. You could get an ATA that would
    > do 2 lines and let the kids have a line of their own. Perhaps, if you
    > decided to go down that road you could give it a dry run before you had
    > your PSTN line disconnected.

    I'm on their value bundle, £50/month for 4Meg broadband, Family TV and
    talk "unlimited" at the moment (been with them for 6 months now, another
    half a year before I can drop the landline option).

    Wira One, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Wira One

    Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >>I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
    >>calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
    >>house but this is confusing to the children/wife.

    A grandstream 486 has a PSTN input: incoming calls work through it and
    toy can choose to make outgoing calls that way. However the volume of
    an incoming pstn call is a bit low, and it doesn't pass through CLI on
    calls from the pstn port.

    , Jun 27, 2006
  5. Wira One

    Wira One Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

    > The SPA-3000 is just short of £60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
    > a good price.

    Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it should
    be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've around 200+ in
    stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but .. the status is
    still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh.. guess there must be a
    sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000 :(

    Wira One, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Wira One <> writed in

    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> The SPA-3000 is just short of £60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
    >> a good price.

    > Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
    > should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
    > around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
    > .. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
    > guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000 :(

    Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
    Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at about
    2pm today (Thursday).
    Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any difference
    (it shouldn't)

    Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT PSTN
    line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on gateway
    2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including modifying the
    regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK phone - thanks to
    the voxilla forum.

    Mike the Unshavable, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Wira One

    WiraOne Guest

    Mike the Unshavable <> wrote in

    > Wira One <> writed in
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:
    >>
    >>> The SPA-3000 is just short of £60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that
    >>> is a good price.

    >> Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
    >> should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
    >> around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
    >> .. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
    >> guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000 :(
    >>

    > Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
    > Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at
    > about 2pm today (Thursday).
    > Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any
    > difference (it shouldn't)
    >
    > Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT
    > PSTN line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on
    > gateway 2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including
    > modifying the regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK
    > phone - thanks to the voxilla forum.

    Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
    PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
    Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should :)

    Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
    phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
    sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
    incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.

    WiraOne, Jun 29, 2006
  8. Wira One

    Mr E Mann Guest

    "WiraOne" <> wrote in message
    > Mike the Unshavable <> wrote in
    >
    >> Wira One <> writed in

    >>> Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
    >>> should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
    >>> around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
    >>> .. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
    >>> guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000 :(
    >>>

    >> Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
    >> Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at
    >> about 2pm today (Thursday).
    >> Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any
    >> difference (it shouldn't)
    >>
    >> Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT
    >> PSTN line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on
    >> gateway 2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including
    >> modifying the regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK
    >> phone - thanks to the voxilla forum.

    > Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
    > PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
    > Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should :)
    >
    > Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
    > phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
    > sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
    > incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.

    I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
    and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful guides
    However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all the
    UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.
    OK, it confuses the mrs with two handsets... I'll try again one day with the
    settings to try to sort out the incoming pstn volume, but until then
    confusion will remain!

    Mr E Mann, Jun 29, 2006
  9. WiraOne wrote:

    > Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
    > PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
    > Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should :)
    >
    > Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
    > phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
    > sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
    > incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.

    The general plan to configuring an SPA 3000 appears involve beating your
    head against the wall until it bleeds.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jun 30, 2006
  10. Mr E Mann wrote:

    > I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
    > and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful guides
    > However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all the
    > UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.

    Have you tried changing the Gain settings in the International Controol
    part of the PSTN Line configuration page?

    Thomas Kenyon, Jun 30, 2006
  11. Wira One

    Mr E Mann Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    > Mr E Mann wrote:
    >

    >> I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
    >> and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful
    >> guides
    >> However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all
    >> the
    >> UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.

    > Have you tried changing the Gain settings in the International Controol
    > part of the PSTN Line configuration page?

    I must confess I missed that part out!
    Does it go up or down?

    Mr E Mann, Jul 1, 2006
  12. WiraOne <> writed in

    > Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with
    > UK phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000?
    > I've sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate &
    > NTL for incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.

    This thread in Voxilla.com is very useful

    http://voxilla.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2963&highligh
    t=uk&sid=a91a247b6e62689dcf3c2b68516b73d6

    (or search in Voxilla for UK regionalisation, tones etc. )

    I can see why people despair of the settings - but - it does work
    straight out of the box, and the only settings you *need* to change are
    to input your voip provider credentials. There are other settings which
    are highly desirable, like setting the dial plan to dial out 999 calls,
    and others which are nice to have - like the UK regionalisation which
    makes the tones sound more familiar.

    Mike the Unshavable, Jul 1, 2006
  13. Wira One

    WiraOne Guest

    Wira One wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:
    >
    > > The SPA-3000 is just short of £60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
    > > a good price.

    > Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it should
    > be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've around 200+ in
    > stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but .. the status is
    > still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh.. guess there must be a
    > sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000 :(

    Just an update, the stock count in the page was wrong .. they don't
    have 200+ units in stock .. infact, they don't have any in stock until
    today .. I received a reply saying that my order was dispatched
    yesterday and another one .. today saying the order has been delayed
    again .. and expecting to be dispatched today. So if any of you
    thinking of ordering from broadbandbuyer and expecting to get it next
    day .. better get it elsewhere.

    WiraOne, Jul 4, 2006