ATA on hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MajBach1, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. MajBach1

    MajBach1 Guest

    Me again! I have an older DFI MxBoard capable of ATA66 and a WD JB80 Gig
    Caviar HD. On the same cable is aCd-Writer and on the secondary is a Cd-Rom.
    I remember when I installed this drive I couldn't even get the PC to
    recognize it. This was months ago. Then I realized that the drive was
    factory defaulted to ATA 100 - faster than my MxBoard could handle. I used
    their utility program to step it down to 66. Now I know in the post screen
    it said 66 for the past several months.
    A few days ago, I slaved this drive on a nother PC to transfer files. My
    drive has three partitions, one being 40 Gig. I couldn't figure out why the
    other PC could only see the first two partitions. So while I troubleshot the
    problem, I stepped it down to ATA 33 again. It still didn't work. Then it
    dawned on me that this even older PC couldn't recognize partitions bigger
    than 32Gig.
    No matter. Anyway, I forgot to step my drive back up upon bringing it back
    to my PC until this morning. So I used the DLGUDMA utility from does to do
    this. It successfully acknowledged the increase. Problem is, it is still
    showing up as 33 on my post screen.
    I am using WinME and I have tried setting my BIOS to LBA and AUTO. DMA is
    also checked in Device manager.No change. What am I doing wrong?

    MajBach1, Feb 26, 2004

  2. MajBach1

    anon Guest

    Isnt it about time to change the mb?

    anon, Feb 26, 2004

  3. MajBach1

    MajBach1 Guest

    No! Why would I need to? It's a great DFI MB to which I have no complaints I
    have had a Celeron overclocked for almost 4 years now. The computer more
    than fulfills my needs.

    Techno-nerd geeks with penis envy: If you cannot offer any advice, than do
    not waste my bandwidth with your frivolous opinions.

    MajBach1, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Having done a cold boot, what does DLGUDMA report? The report immediately
    after change is not necessarily right.

    There are different versions of this utility for different makes of drives.
    What make drive is it? What version DLGUDMA are you using?

    I assume that you are using the original 80 wire cable that used to work ok
    and haven't slung anything new on the bus that could be dragging down the
    speed?

    eric the seal, Feb 26, 2004
  5. MajBach1

    MajBach1 Guest

    Eric:
    I just figured it out. The Cd-Rom that was on the same cable was slowing it
    down. when I removed it, the post screen showed UDMA/66. This brings me to a
    follow-up: The cd-burner is a master on the secondary cable and there is no
    slave. It posts as ATA/33. This unit is virtually new. Do optical drives
    normally run at the transfer rate? Dma is enabled in windows and again, BIOS
    is set to auto. Yeah, I have an 80 pin cable..
    Thanks for responding.

    MajBach1, Feb 26, 2004