    residence situation that has only 1 ethernet cable connection per room.

    Many thanks,

    Hana
    Hana, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Hana

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Hana" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know this has been asked before and I've been reading
    > past posts but I can't see that anyone has managed to use
    > an ATA for this purpose.
    >
    > I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone
    > for my daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up
    > for her when she goes back to Uni next week.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible
    > in a halls of residence situation that has only 1
    > ethernet cable connection per room.

    It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch to the incoming
    connection and plug whatever you want into there.

    Whether the university's IT dept will block the required ports or not is
    another matter.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 8, 2007

  3. Hana

    Hana Guest

    > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch to the incoming
    > connection and plug whatever you want into there.

    Hi Ivor,
    Thanks for replying.
    Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?
    If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I can do about
    that?

    Thanks, Hana
    Hana, Jan 8, 2007
  4. Hana

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Hana" <> wrote in message
    > > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
    > > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
    > > into there.

    > Hi Ivor,
    > Thanks for replying.
    > Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

    Yes, although a switch would be better.

    > If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
    > can do about that?

    No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 8, 2007
  5. Hana

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:14:33 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Hana" <> wrote in message
    >> > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
    >> > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
    >> > into there.

    >> Hi Ivor,
    >> Thanks for replying.
    >> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

    >Yes, although a switch would be better.
    >
    >> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
    >> can do about that?

    >No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.
    >
    >Ivor

    There is a solution, if ports are being blocked. This is to use a
    Virtual Private Network connection.
    This company is planning to offer this service. I don't know of other
    companies that are offering this.
    http://www.callwithus.com/

    They say:-
    " Coming soon.
    SIP over VPN. Some ISP block VOIP traffic to push their own VOIP
    services to customers. We offer VPN (virtual private network)
    connection to our server to avoid provider's blocks. Stay connected!
    We expect a high success rate. Contact us if you wish to participate
    in beta-testing of SIP over VPN service. "
    The UK rate is US1.2c/min ( equivalent to 0.62p/min at current
    exchange rates).
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 8, 2007
  6. Hana

    PeterW Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in

    > "Hana" <> wrote in message
    >> > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
    >> > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
    >> > into there.

    >> Hi Ivor,
    >> Thanks for replying.
    >> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

    > Yes, although a switch would be better.
    >
    >> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
    >> can do about that?

    > No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.
    >
    > Ivor

    My daughter uses the "idefisk" IAX client and a USB handset from her
    University room to an Asterisk server I run. This works fine. SIP can be a
    lot more problematic because of NAT.

    If you find SIP blocked, try a free call with the Voipcheap.com [*not
    voipcheap.co.uk*] client. This uses a single IP port. The Tesco VoIP
    service is IAX based but relatively expensive.

    Peter
    PeterW, Jan 8, 2007
  7. Hana

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:17:56 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:14:33 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Hana" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi Ivor,
    >>> Thanks for replying.
    >>> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

    >>Yes, although a switch would be better.
    >>
    >>> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
    >>> can do about that?

    >>No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.
    >>
    >>Ivor

    >There is a solution, if ports are being blocked. This is to use a
    >Virtual Private Network connection.
    >This company is planning to offer this service. I don't know of other
    >companies that are offering this.
    >http://www.callwithus.com/
    >
    >They say:-
    >" Coming soon.
    >SIP over VPN. Some ISP block VOIP traffic to push their own VOIP
    >services to customers. We offer VPN (virtual private network)
    >connection to our server to avoid provider's blocks. Stay connected!
    >We expect a high success rate. Contact us if you wish to participate
    >in beta-testing of SIP over VPN service. "
    >The UK rate is US1.2c/min ( equivalent to 0.62p/min at current
    >exchange rates).

    This is also another possible solution. I've not tried it yet but it
    looks interesting.
    http://www.realtunnel.com/index.jsp?page=Sip
    It is intended to work, afaik, with a soft phone only, x-lite I think.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jan 8, 2007
  8. Hana

    Ross Beer Guest

    Hana wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know this has been asked before and I've been reading past posts but
    > I can't see that anyone has managed to use an ATA for this purpose.
    >
    > I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone for my
    > daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up for her when she goes
    > back to Uni next week.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible in a halls of
    > residence situation that has only 1 ethernet cable connection per room.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Hana

    Hi,

    A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
    need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
    and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
    service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

    As someone has mentioned, you will require a hub/switch if the ATA/Phone
    does not have one built in, to allow multiple devices to connect to
    the network.

    Ross

    -----------------------
    Ross Beer BSc
    VoiceHost Support
    W:www.voicehost.co.uk
    Ross Beer, Jan 9, 2007
  9. Hana

    Tim Guest

    Ross Beer wrote:

    > A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
    > need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
    > and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
    > service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

    Yes.

    And if they only allow one registered mac per room, then use something
    link an SPA-2102 which has a nat router, and you can change its mac address.

    Tim
    Tim, Jan 10, 2007
  10. Hana

    Jono Guest

    Tim wrote :
    > Ross Beer wrote:
    >>
    >> A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
    >> need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
    >> and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
    >> service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

    > Yes.
    >
    > And if they only allow one registered mac per room, then use something
    > link an SPA-2102 which has a nat router, and you can change its mac address.
    >
    > Tim

    Which also has a 10/100Mb WAN port, as we know (if you're the same Tim
    I think you are...)
    Jono, Jan 10, 2007
  11. Hana

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Which also has a 10/100Mb WAN port, as we know (if you're the same Tim I
    > think you are...)

    Yes and yes.

    Tim
    Tim, Jan 12, 2007