    find it on the Cisco site. Anyone know this.

    Thanks
    RC
    RC, Aug 30, 2004

  2. RC

    Scooby Guest

    "RC" <> wrote in message
    news:ttIYc.31071$...
    > I posted this just before leaving on vacation, and I don't know why but I
    > didn't see it on the group. So here I go again.
    >
    > I'm going to be doing some evaluation of the Cisco ATA and figured I'd

    start
    > with a used ATA 186. I've noticed people referring to them as "locked",
    > what is meant by this?
    >
    > Also, I wanted to see what the password recover procedure was but couldn't
    > find it on the Cisco site. Anyone know this.
    >
    > Thanks
    > RC

    There is no password recovery procedure for these. That is what people mean
    by locked. IP Phone companies such as Vonage preconfigure these for their
    service and then set a password. If you cancel their service, the device is
    no longer good to you, since you can't access the configs for your own
    purposes. So, if you want to use one, you should buy it new, or get one
    that is 'unlocked' (no password set).

    Hope that helps,

    Jim
    Scooby, Aug 30, 2004

  3. RC

    RC Guest

    This is odd, Cisco gave me two methods depending on FW version. They may be
    wrong, first line TAC isn't always right, but it is rare. Does anyone have a
    locked ATA 186 that they want to try it out on? Email me direct and I'll
    send the instructions, I don't want to post what may be bad information. And
    if it trashes you ATA, that's not my responsibility, you do this at your own
    risk.

    rcohen at acstech dot com

    and please use a corporate email address, no yahoo, AOL, or other ISP or
    Free domain.

    RC, Sep 7, 2004
  4. RC

    Guest

    And those methods were? Entering "factreset" can be disabled on the
    newer firmware.

    -Chris

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:26:05 -0400, "RC" <> wrote:

    >This is odd, Cisco gave me two methods depending on FW version. They may be
    >wrong, first line TAC isn't always right, but it is rare. Does anyone have a
    >locked ATA 186 that they want to try it out on? Email me direct and I'll
    >send the instructions, I don't want to post what may be bad information. And
    >if it trashes you ATA, that's not my responsibility, you do this at your own
    >risk.
    >
    >rcohen at acstech dot com
    >
    >and please use a corporate email address, no yahoo, AOL, or other ISP or
    >Free domain.
    >
    >> There is no password recovery procedure for these. That is what people

    >mean
    >> by locked. IP Phone companies such as Vonage preconfigure these for their
    >> service and then set a password. If you cancel their service, the device

    >is
    >> no longer good to you, since you can't access the configs for your own
    >> purposes. So, if you want to use one, you should buy it new, or get one
    >> that is 'unlocked' (no password set).
    >>
    >> Hope that helps,
    >>
    >> Jim

    , Sep 8, 2004
  5. RC

    hari Guest

    send me the proceedure
    for my reference offline message

    hari

    hari, Sep 8, 2004
  6. RC

    RC Guest

    Since the methods were unconfirmed and possible incorrect I asked for people
    to contact me off-list (I like to be 100% sure before posting something).

    As it turns out it, from what you posted, the information I got was
    incorrect. Thanks.

    One question, is disabling of "factreset" done in the firmware (on a bit
    level), or is it a configuration setting?

    RC

    RC, Sep 9, 2004
  7. RC

    Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:52:55 -0400, "RC" <> wrote:

    >Since the methods were unconfirmed and possible incorrect I asked for people
    >to contact me off-list (I like to be 100% sure before posting something).
    >
    >As it turns out it, from what you posted, the information I got was
    >incorrect. Thanks.
    >
    >One question, is disabling of "factreset" done in the firmware (on a bit
    >level), or is it a configuration setting?
    >
    >RC

    It's a config setting.

    -Chris
    , Sep 12, 2004
  8. RC

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:00:32 -0400, "RC" <> wrote:

    >Now I have an odd request, does anyone have a "Locked" Cisco ATA 186 or 188
    >that they've given up on? I want to try a little expariment or two involving
    >reading the binary directly from the flash or eeprom and compairing it to
    >the original firmware in an attempt to locate and change the dissable reset
    >option. Or, optionally just remove the configuration all together.
    >
    >The fine print
    >THIS COULD RESULT IN A DEAD ATA THAT IS UNRECOVERABLE AND UNREPAIRABLE.
    >I'm not asking to buy it, just borrow it. If it works we can sell it on eBay
    >and split the sell price 50/50, or the owner can pay me 1/2 the value (based
    >on the final selling price of a similar unit on eBay). Or if you have a
    >garage full of them we can work something out where I unlock them and you
    >can do whatever you want with your, now unlocked, ATAs.
    >
    >Any takers?

    I have sucessfully copied the eeprom from one unit into another. This
    was to fix a dead unit whose power was dropped during a fw upgrade.

    The copy worked and repaired the unit, although it now has the sam mac
    address as the other unit. I editted the eeprom image to alter the
    mac address, but I never could get the checksum correct and the ATA
    would not boot with the change. I ended up swapping in another eeprom
    out of a unit that died a horrible death after someone spilled coke in
    it (ate most of the traces off the board)

    I haven't had the time to look at the checksums further or figure out
    which ranges of the eeprom have the fw and which had the settings. I
    do recall that the eeprom used can be selectively erased in 256k
    segments, so I suspect the firmware and settings are in different
    segments. Again just haven't had the time to mess with it.

    -Chris
    , Sep 18, 2004
  9. RC

    jkara

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    hi Chris,
    I have a unit ata-186-l1 revision b.0 could you please send me the flash image contents, from a working and unlocked unit.

    I have already read the contents of the 28SF040A flash, software version v3.1 (i think latest version is v3.2)

    thanks anyway

    jack
    jkara, Aug 26, 2006