    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013

  2. PeterN

    Mort Guest

    PeterN wrote:
    > foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    >

    > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

    As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
    are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
    gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.

    As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Oct 16, 2013

  3. PeterN

    Tim Conway Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    >

    > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

    Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
    somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
    in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
    and probably won't hurt you.

    Tim Conway, Oct 16, 2013
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
    > PeterN wrote:
    >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    >>

    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    >>

    > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
    > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
    > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
    >
    > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
    >
    > Mort Linder

    We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
    omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
    slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
    try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
    They also are meat hunters.
    <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>

    iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
    of our genes in common.
    Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
    They don't make good pets.
    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  5. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    >>

    >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    >>

    > Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
    > somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
    > in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
    > and probably won't hurt you.

    In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
    unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.
    I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his expression.
    He had just finished munching on a leaf.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/16/2013 5:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-10-16 14:02:27 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    >>> As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
    >>> are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
    >>> gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
    >>>
    >>> As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
    >>>
    >>> Mort Linder

    >> We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
    >> omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
    >> slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
    >> try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
    >> They also are meat hunters.
    >> <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
    >>
    >> iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about
    >> 96% of our genes in common.
    >> Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
    >> They don't make good pets.

    > Ditto, baboons. None of these primates should ever be considered as
    > pets. The only reason they should be in zoos is to ensure against
    > extinction.

    But baboon babies are so cute! This one was just afew days old.
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/baboon%20nursing2.jpg>

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  7. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/16/2013 5:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-10-16 14:11:10 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >>> "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >>> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
    >>> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold
    >>> your arms
    >>> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and
    >>> peaceableness
    >>> and probably won't hurt you.
    >>>

    >> In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm
    >> you unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.
    >> I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his
    >> expression. He had just finished munching on a leaf.

    > Sometimes your choice of words just cracks me up.
    > In this case it is "pervasive". Could you possibly have meant to type
    > "perceive"?

    Yup! Mea Culpa!

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  8. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:11:10 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >> "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    >>> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    >>>

    >>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    >>>

    >> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
    >> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
    >> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
    >> and probably won't hurt you.
    >>

    >In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
    >unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.

    The most harmful thing I ever encountered scuba diving was fire coral.

    >I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his expression.
    >He had just finished munching on a leaf.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 16, 2013
  9. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/16/2013 6:07 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:11:10 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/16/2013 4:57 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >>> "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >>> Along with what Mort said. They're usually pretty docile. I've read
    >>> somewhere that if you ever meet up with one in the wild, just fold your arms
    >>> in front of you. They take that as a sign of friendliness and peaceableness
    >>> and probably won't hurt you.
    >>>

    >> In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
    >> unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.

    > The most harmful thing I ever encountered scuba diving was fire coral.

    I tried to take pictures of barracuda, but they kept turning away. A
    school of bluefish once bit my regulator, while his friends were
    chomping on my wetsuit.

    >> I made my comment with tongue in cheek, only because of his expression.
    >> He had just finished munching on a leaf.

    I know someone who had 33 stitches when he was bitten by a blue shark.
    The dummy tried to use it as a horse.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 16, 2013
  10. PeterN

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2013101614563125228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2013-10-16 14:51:46 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    > >> Ditto, baboons. None of these primates should ever be considered as
    > >> pets. The only reason they should be in zoos is to ensure against
    > >> extinction.
    > >>

    > > But baboon babies are so cute! This one was just afew days old.
    > > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/baboon%20nursing2.jpg>

    > Then perhaps you might like a kiss from this one?
    > < http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3157/2354925562_1b43c4f4c6_o.jpg >

    Tiger babies are cute too. They'll still eat you when they grow up,
    some of them anyway.

    J. Clarke, Oct 16, 2013
  11. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/16/2013 8:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-10-16 15:48:34 -0700, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >
    >> In article <2013101614563125228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >> savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    >>> Then perhaps you might like a kiss from this one?
    >>> < http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3157/2354925562_1b43c4f4c6_o.jpg >

    >> Tiger babies are cute too. They'll still eat you when they grow up,
    >> some of them anyway.

    > Then there are some pussy cats who will just lie there and purr.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_3552-E-1w.jpg >

    Roy Horn knows all about that.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 17, 2013
  12. PeterN

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2013101617444540194-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2013-10-16 15:48:34 -0700, "J. Clarke" <> said:
    >
    > > In article <2013101614563125228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    > > savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > >> Then perhaps you might like a kiss from this one?
    > >> < http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3157/2354925562_1b43c4f4c6_o.jpg >

    > > Tiger babies are cute too. They'll still eat you when they grow up,
    > > some of them anyway.

    > Then there are some pussy cats who will just lie there and purr.
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC_3552-E-1w.jpg >

    The local zoo used to have a very dangerous mountain lion. She was
    dangerous because any time she saw a lap she tried to curl up in it,
    which worked out fine when she was a kitten, but when she hit 120 pounds
    it caused problems.

    J. Clarke, Oct 17, 2013
  13. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:48:21 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    :
    :
    : <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>

    Gorillas are actually amiable, intelligent animals who enjoy watching people
    as much as people enjoy watching them. Every now and then one finds a bad
    actor who has to be shipped to another zoo because all the females in his
    current zoo are tired of his attitude. But in general they're good to have
    around.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 18, 2013
  14. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > PeterN wrote:
    : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    : >>
    : >>
    : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    : >>
    : >
[...]

    They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
    years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good friends.
    (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if the
    chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
    between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.

    But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 18, 2013
  15. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/17/2013 10:31 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
    > : > PeterN wrote:
    > : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    > : >>
    > : >>
    > : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
    > : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
    > : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
    > : >
    > : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
    > : >
    > : > Mort Linder
    > :
    > : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
    > : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
    > : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
    > : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
    > : They also are meat hunters.
    > : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
    > :
    > : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
    > : of our genes in common.
    > : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
    > : They don't make good pets.
    >
    > They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
    > years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good friends.
    > (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if the
    > chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
    > between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
    >
    > But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.
    >
    > Bob

    Indeed A few years ago a toddler fell into a gorilla enclosure. One of
    the females picked it up, cuddled it, and would not let any of the other
    gorillas near it. The whole story ended quite well. I don't recall what
    the keepers did, but they got unharmed the toddler back.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 18, 2013
  16. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/17/2013 10:31 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
    > : > PeterN wrote:
    > : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    > : >>
    > : >>
    > : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or mating,
    > : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King Kong
    > : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
    > : >
    > : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
    > : >
    > : > Mort Linder
    > :
    > : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
    > : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
    > : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
    > : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
    > : They also are meat hunters.
    > : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
    > :
    > : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
    > : of our genes in common.
    > : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
    > : They don't make good pets.
    >
    > They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
    > years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good friends.
    > (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if the
    > chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
    > between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
    >
    > But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.
    >
    > Bob

    True.
    The chimps at the LA Zoo take delight at throwing their poop at the
    people them. It could be a good photo op, for the chimps.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Oct 18, 2013
  17. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:26:03 -0500, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >On 10/16/13 5:07 PM, in article ,
    >"Tony Cooper" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:11:10 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> In my scuba diving days i learned that most creatures will not harm you
    >>> unless they pervasive you as a threat, or a meal.

    >> The most harmful thing I ever encountered scuba diving was fire coral.
    >>

    >We had a barracuda that was VERY interested in my wife's shiny gold dangling
    >bauble from her necklace in Cozumel back in the 90's.

    Most divemasters will warn divers about wearing necklaces and
    bracelets when in waters containing barracuda. Shiny = food to a
    barracuda.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Oct 18, 2013
  18. PeterN

    Tim Conway Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/17/2013 10:31 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
    >> : > PeterN wrote:
    >> : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    >> : >>
    >> : >>
    >> : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    >> : >>
    >> : >
    >> : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or
    >> mating,
    >> : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King
    >> Kong
    >> : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
    >> : >
    >> : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
    >> : >
    >> : > Mort Linder
    >> :
    >> : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
    >> : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
    >> : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
    >> : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
    >> : They also are meat hunters.
    >> : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
    >> :
    >> : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
    >> : of our genes in common.
    >> : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
    >> : They don't make good pets.
    >>
    >> They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
    >> years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good
    >> friends.
    >> (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if
    >> the
    >> chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
    >> between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
    >>
    >> But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > Indeed A few years ago a toddler fell into a gorilla enclosure. One of the
    > females picked it up, cuddled it, and would not let any of the other
    > gorillas near it. The whole story ended quite well. I don't recall what
    > the keepers did, but they got unharmed the toddler back.

    Gorillas are definitely one of my favorite animals. They always seem so
    social and peaceable. "King Kong" *did* definitely give them a bad name. I
    would much rather meet up with one of them than many other species.

    Tim Conway, Oct 18, 2013
  19. PeterN

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:02:27 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 10/16/2013 4:06 PM, Mort wrote:
    > : > PeterN wrote:
    > : >> foe some reason I would not like to tangle with this guy
    > : >>
    > : >>
    > : >> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/gorilla111.jpg>
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : > As I understand it, apes are vegetarians, and unless provoked or
    > mating,
    > : > are rather peaceful creatures who sleep a lot. Movies such as King
    > Kong
    > : > gave them a bad name, above and beyond what they deserve.
    > : >
    > : > As they say in Brooklyn, Pretty they ain't.
    > : >
    > : > Mort Linder
    > :
    > : We should distinguish gorillas from chimps. Both are apes. Both are
    > : omnivores, but a gorillas non-vegatarian diet consists of insects and
    > : slugs. You are correct that gorrrillas are generally peaceful and will
    > : try to avoid conflict. Chimps on the other hand can be quite vicious.
    > : They also are meat hunters.
    > : <http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html>
    > :
    > : iIRC they are genetically the closest mamal to humans, having about 96%
    > : of our genes in common.
    > : Chimps have also been known to start unprovoked attacks on people.
    > : They don't make good pets.
    >
    > They're very nervous and defensive. There was a case in Connecticut a few
    > years ago wherein a chimp bit the face off of one of his owner's good
    > friends.
    > (She later had a face transplant which could be considered successful if
    > the
    > chimp has not bitten out her eyes in the process.) The friend had gotten
    > between the chimp and his owner, and he thereupon went berserk.
    >
    > But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.

    I have a friend who had a chimp as a pet many years ago. From the stories
    he tells, they definitely are not very good pets at all. Stories of the
    chimp climbing the curtains and wrecking havoc on the living room were the
    norm. lol.

    Tim Conway, Oct 18, 2013
  20. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/18/2013 4:31 PM, YouDontNeedToKnowButItsNoëlle wrote:
    > Le 18/10/13 04:31, Robert Coe a écrit :
    >
    >> But an attack on a human by a gorilla is exceedingly rare.

    > But halas, the opposite is far too common.
    >
    > Noëlle Adam

    And for no good reason.

    --
    PeterN