At the speed of light

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Jul 5, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    OldGringo38, Jul 5, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo, Jul 5, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/5/2010 4:53 PM Just to please that super-ego, Buffalo wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >>

    > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > Of course there is!!!
    > Buffalo :)

    LOL

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Jul 5, 2010
  4. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38 <> wrote:
    > If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    > of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    > Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our eyes.
    Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
    expressed is meaningless.

    If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets here
    today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we know
    at present, information cannot travel faster than light. What we can be
    certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out from
    such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers can
    claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang', which
    must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 5, 2010
  5. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/5/2010 5:10 PM Just to please that super-ego, Whiskers wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38<> wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our eyes.
    > Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
    > expressed is meaningless.
    >
    > If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets here
    > today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we know
    > at present, information cannot travel faster than light. What we can be
    > certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out from
    > such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers can
    > claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang', which
    > must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).

    <g> I'll buy that.

    OldGringo38, Jul 5, 2010
  6. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/5/2010 5:10 PM Just to please that super-ego, Whiskers wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38<> wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our eyes.
    > Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
    > expressed is meaningless.
    >
    > If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets here
    > today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we know
    > at present, information cannot travel faster than light. What we can be
    > certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out from
    > such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers can
    > claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang', which
    > must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).

    <g> I'll buy that.
    DFG what !

    OldGringo38, Jul 5, 2010
  7. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:15:11 -0500, OldGringo38 ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    > of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-

    slingshot
    > Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    I leave this stuff up to the astrophysicists. All the quantum physics,
    quantum mechanics and theories make my head spin.

    Meat Plow, Jul 6, 2010
  8. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38 <> wrote:
    >>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any

    >> way
    >>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-ho

    >> le-slingshot
    >>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    >> We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our
    >> eyes.
    >> Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
    >> expressed is meaningless.
    >>

    > Huh? We percieve the light from an emission source in the relative time
    > frame that it exists.
    > We're "looking into the past" when we look at the stars :)

    Exactly. We're looking into the past all the time - further into the past
    the further away the light comes from.

    >> If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets
    >> here today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we
    >> know at present, information cannot travel faster than light.

    > Pleasc to be 'splainin "quantum entanglements".
    >
    > ^_^

    I can describe it, but if anyone claims to be able to explain it I suggest
    you tread with care as you back away. <http://cam.qubit.org/node/43>

    >> What we can be
    >> certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out
    >> from such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers
    >> can claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang',
    >> which must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).
    >>

    > You wernt there to appreciate the Big Singularity?
    > Hmmm...

    Not in this body I wasn't. But all my substance and energy was there of
    course, along with yours and everything else.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2010
  9. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/6/2010 6:25 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:15:11 -0500, OldGringo38 ÇʇoɹÊ:
    >
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-

    > slingshot
    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > I leave this stuff up to the astrophysicists. All the quantum physics,
    > quantum mechanics and theories make my head spin.

    I sometimes wonder how much of a crock it all is.

    OldGringo38, Jul 6, 2010
  10. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 08:23:52 -0500, OldGringo38 ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > On 7/6/2010 6:25 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:15:11 -0500, OldGringo38 ÇʇoɹÊ:
    >>
    >>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-

    hole-
    >> slingshot
    >>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    >> I leave this stuff up to the astrophysicists. All the quantum physics,
    >> quantum mechanics and theories make my head spin.

    > I sometimes wonder how much of a crock it all is.

    I do believe that at least mathematically all these quantum theorists are
    able to translate their math into language understandable by John Q
    Public. I don't understand the motivation being a realist myself. But
    some of it I find fascinating with the right person telling the story.

    Meat Plow, Jul 6, 2010
  11. OldGringo38

    Jordon Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    > of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >
    > Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    happen?

    Jordon, Jul 6, 2010
  12. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/6/2010 9:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Jordon wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >>

    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    > of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    > happen?

    Good one lol lol

    OldGringo38, Jul 6, 2010
  13. OldGringo38

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Jordon wrote:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >>

    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    > of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    > happen?

    I will answer that question with one of my own ...
    If you are flying at greater than the speed of sound, can you hear a
    sound from the back of the plane?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jul 6, 2010
  14. OldGringo38

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> writes and having writ moves on.
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >>
    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    > What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    > of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    > happen?

    With all frames of reference being equal, you will see the path
    in front of you illuminated.

    Mike "just before you hit the Mini Cooper travelling at .9C" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 6, 2010
  15. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/6/2010 10:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Oldus Fartus wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >> OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >>>

    >>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    >> What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    >> of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    >> happen?

    > I will answer that question with one of my own ...
    > If you are flying at greater than the speed of sound, can you hear a
    > sound from the back of the plane?

    You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.

    OldGringo38, Jul 6, 2010
  16. OldGringo38

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > On 7/6/2010 10:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Oldus Fartus wrote
    > the following tidbit of information:
    >> Jordon wrote:

    >>> What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    >>> of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    >>> happen?

    >> I will answer that question with one of my own ...
    >> If you are flying at greater than the speed of sound, can you hear a
    >> sound from the back of the plane?
    >>

    > You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.

    :)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jul 6, 2010
  17. OldGringo38

    LSMFT Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    > of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    > http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >
    > Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    Light from stars billions of light years away may have already blown up.

    --
    LSMFT

    I don't like to interrupt her.

    LSMFT, Jul 6, 2010
  18. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    [...]

    >>> You wernt there to appreciate the Big Singularity?
    >>> Hmmm...

    >> Not in this body I wasn't. But all my substance and energy was there
    >> of
    >> course, along with yours and everything else.
    >>

    > D00d! I remember you! You was the guy wearin the cool hat...

    I still have the hat. Still cool, in all weathers :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2010
  19. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-06, Mike Yetto <> wrote:
    > Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >>>
    >>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

    >> What I want to know is... if you're driving at the speed
    >> of light and turn your headlights on, does anything really
    >> happen?

    > With all frames of reference being equal, you will see the path
    > in front of you illuminated.
    >
    > Mike "just before you hit the Mini Cooper travelling at .9C" Yetto

    But will the speed camera get your number-plate?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2010
  20. OldGringo38

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-07-06, LSMFT <> wrote:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
    >> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
    >> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/0701/A-black-hole-slingshot
    >>
    >> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.
    >>

    > Light from stars billions of light years away may have already blown up.

    You might want to re-phrase that ...

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2010