    Is anyone using AT&T/Yahoo High Speed Internet? If so, your opinions? It's
    now being offered in my area, so I'm just doing a little survey/research.
    Thanks

    davo, Aug 14, 2006

  2. davo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, davo Wrote The Following:
    > Is anyone using AT&T/Yahoo High Speed Internet? If so, your opinions? It's
    > now being offered in my area, so I'm just doing a little survey/research.
    > Thanks

    Got it: 6016/768 ok but not as good as it could be.
    Sign up on line 6016/768 $27.95 mo. renewable contract annually.
    Good support from AT&T Tech. Not so good from Yahoo.
    Good Luck.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Aug 14, 2006

  3. davo

    Mellowed Guest

    Not exactly the answer to your question, but, I have Verizon/Yahoo.
    Don't bother with the Yahoo. It wants to take over. The AT&T should be
    OK.

    "davo" <> wrote in message
    : Is anyone using AT&T/Yahoo High Speed Internet? If so, your opinions?
    It's
    : now being offered in my area, so I'm just doing a little
    survey/research.
    : Thanks
    :
    :

    Mellowed, Aug 14, 2006
  4. davo

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "davo" <> said in

    > Is anyone using AT&T/Yahoo High Speed Internet? If so, your opinions?
    > It's now being offered in my area, so I'm just doing a little
    > survey/research. Thanks

    I use AT&T DSL. I didn't install that nasty disk with all the Yahoo crap. I
    did everythig manually. The disk loads a lot of stuff I wouldn't have. BTW,
    in my area, the service only costs 12.99 a month for 1.5mbs down.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Aug 14, 2006
  5. davo

    chuckie® Guest

    Started out with SBC/Yahoo, AT&T and SBC merged, now have AT&T/Yahoo. It's
    fine, had no problems. Like a previous poster suggested, don't use the disk
    or just use it to connect. There is (was) a section to allow you to
    deselect the 'browser' and such garbage. The speed is fine both ways, and
    it's fairly cheap as DSL goes, I think mine is $12.95/month. I've also
    found over the four years or so that I've had it, when they want to charge
    you the higher price at the end of your 'contract', call and 'cancel' it.
    They then do their best AOL impression and keep you at your original
    rate...luck...

    chuckie®, Aug 15, 2006
  6. davo

    Charlie Tuna Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:06:32 -0700, "davo" <>
    wrote:

    >Is anyone using AT&T/Yahoo High Speed Internet? If so, your opinions? It's
    >now being offered in my area, so I'm just doing a little survey/research.
    >Thanks

    AT&T is very good, but Yahoo sucks! Install everything manually,
    leaving off the Yahoo crap. One thing to look for though, if your
    Email is going to come thru Yahoo, be prepared for tons of spam.
    Don't know what it is, but Yahoo lets everything in the world come
    through. When I first installed it, I started receiving
    porno/medicine/mortgage spam before I even sent anything anywhere
    using my Yahoo address. AT&T should take a serious look at dumping
    Yahoo.

    Charlie Tuna, Aug 16, 2006
  7. Charlie Tuna wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:06:32 -0700, "davo" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Is anyone using AT&T/Yahoo High Speed Internet? If so, your opinions? It's
    >>now being offered in my area, so I'm just doing a little survey/research.
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > AT&T is very good, but Yahoo sucks! Install everything manually,
    > leaving off the Yahoo crap. One thing to look for though, if your
    > Email is going to come thru Yahoo, be prepared for tons of spam.
    > Don't know what it is, but Yahoo lets everything in the world come
    > through. When I first installed it, I started receiving
    > porno/medicine/mortgage spam before I even sent anything anywhere
    > using my Yahoo address. AT&T should take a serious look at dumping
    > Yahoo.

    The above issue is confirmed. AT&T (formerly SWBELL) got Yahoo in the
    deal. In the dim past, SWBELL did not have Yahoo, and the spam was less.

    I have 5 fixed IP package with high speeds 600K up / 6megs down, and
    several e-mail acounts I can create at will. I created one, and before
    I ever gave out the address, the crap started flooding in. If you
    install their crapbrowser, er.. their customized browser, they do have
    somewhat of a spam blocker. If you do not install their crap, you
    could use netscape and train its junk mail filters to eliminate most
    of it for you. It's not too hard. I believe their attitude is that you
    are a knowledgeable person and should handle your own stuff. Costs
    them less that way. The downside is that they do let everything through.

    Otherwise, I have never had an issue with the bandwidth and the 5-year
    old Westell modem with the Alcatel '140 chipset is still humming away
    pleasantly.

    If you don't want yahoo or swbell.net mail, then a possibility is to
    get a static IP and run your own secure mail server.

    patrick jankowiak, Aug 16, 2006