AT&T Yahoo tech support

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to the
    Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet still
    being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and got a
    recording telling me that the tech support business hours were from
    sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour the
    connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I placed
    a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was connected to
    the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had with calling
    tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that tech support was
    still the same as always 24/7 and there was no explanation as to why I
    received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if anyone else with AT&T
    Yahoo experienced the the same?
    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: They're the only culture some people have.
     
    OldGringo38, Oct 14, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to the
    > Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet still
    > being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and got a
    > recording telling me that the tech support business hours were from
    > sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour the
    > connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I placed
    > a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was connected to
    > the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had with calling
    > tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that tech support was
    > still the same as always 24/7 and there was no explanation as to why I
    > received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if anyone else with AT&T
    > Yahoo experienced the the same?


    My experience with them wasn't the same issue as yours. But it had been
    bad enough that I terminated my account and even my land line who was
    also under ATT ownership.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 14, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 10/14/2010 10:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to the
    >> Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet still
    >> being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and got a
    >> recording telling me that the tech support business hours were from
    >> sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour the
    >> connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I placed
    >> a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was connected to
    >> the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had with calling
    >> tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that tech support was
    >> still the same as always 24/7 and there was no explanation as to why I
    >> received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if anyone else with AT&T
    >> Yahoo experienced the the same?

    >
    > My experience with them wasn't the same issue as yours. But it had been
    > bad enough that I terminated my account and even my land line who was
    > also under ATT ownership.
    >
    >
    >

    Cool I'll give it some thought.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: They're the only culture some people have.
     
    OldGringo38, Oct 14, 2010
    #3
  4. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:42:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > On 10/14/2010 10:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote
    > the following tidbit of information:
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to
    >>> the Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet
    >>> still being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and
    >>> got a recording telling me that the tech support business hours were
    >>> from sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour
    >>> the connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I
    >>> placed a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was
    >>> connected to the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had
    >>> with calling tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that
    >>> tech support was still the same as always 24/7 and there was no
    >>> explanation as to why I received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if
    >>> anyone else with AT&T Yahoo experienced the the same?

    >>
    >> My experience with them wasn't the same issue as yours. But it had been
    >> bad enough that I terminated my account and even my land line who was
    >> also under ATT ownership.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Cool I'll give it some thought.


    It wasn't awful under SBC but enter AT&T and suddenly the bad support
    went to horrible outsourced support by Raji and his pals over on the
    other side of the world. I once spent 3 hours on the phone with them
    trying to correct a service and billing error that led to the
    decommissioning of their service without any warning. I downed an 8 ounce
    water glass full of scotch when I finally got home.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 14, 2010
    #4
  5. OldGringo38

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to the
    > Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet still
    > being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and got a
    > recording telling me that the tech support business hours were from
    > sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour the
    > connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I placed
    > a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was connected to
    > the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had with calling
    > tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that tech support was
    > still the same as always 24/7 and there was no explanation as to why I
    > received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if anyone else with AT&T
    > Yahoo experienced the the same?


    Shit happens. Did they suggest the problem was on your end? When that
    happens to me, what I usually do is reboot the machine. If that fails, I'll
    just wait awhile and try again.

    I will assume you're on a cable modem. One time when I was on cable, I lost
    connection. Couldn't get back online for nuthin. Wound up calling the ISP
    tech people and tried various things over the phone. They wound up sending
    the tech guy to the house. An hour later still nuthin. After he left, I
    wanted to move the modem and found that cable was too short so I went to a
    longer cable. Booted up again and tried and got online.

    Don't be afraid to try some things on your end before calling tech support.
    It might be as simple as unplugging the box for a bit and plugging it back
    in later. I've learned that when I have problems in motels like that, I ask
    them to unplug their router for 10 minutes and let it reset.
     
    richard, Oct 14, 2010
    #5
  6. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 10/14/2010 3:05 PM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to the
    >> Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet still
    >> being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and got a
    >> recording telling me that the tech support business hours were from
    >> sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour the
    >> connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I placed
    >> a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was connected to
    >> the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had with calling
    >> tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that tech support was
    >> still the same as always 24/7 and there was no explanation as to why I
    >> received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if anyone else with AT&T
    >> Yahoo experienced the the same?

    >
    > Shit happens. Did they suggest the problem was on your end? When that
    > happens to me, what I usually do is reboot the machine. If that fails, I'll
    > just wait awhile and try again.
    >
    > I will assume you're on a cable modem. One time when I was on cable, I lost
    > connection. Couldn't get back online for nuthin. Wound up calling the ISP
    > tech people and tried various things over the phone. They wound up sending
    > the tech guy to the house. An hour later still nuthin. After he left, I
    > wanted to move the modem and found that cable was too short so I went to a
    > longer cable. Booted up again and tried and got online.
    >
    > Don't be afraid to try some things on your end before calling tech support.
    > It might be as simple as unplugging the box for a bit and plugging it back
    > in later. I've learned that when I have problems in motels like that, I ask
    > them to unplug their router for 10 minutes and let it reset.

    I have DSL but end results are probably similar.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: They're the only culture some people have.
     
    OldGringo38, Oct 14, 2010
    #6
  7. OldGringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >I will assume you're on a cable modem.


    You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked they were not
    in the cable business.

    Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough to live in
    an area that has U-Verse.
     
    G. Morgan, Oct 14, 2010
    #7
  8. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>I will assume you're on a cable modem.

    >
    > You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked they
    > were not in the cable business.
    >
    > Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough to
    > live in an area that has U-Verse.


    Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit for
    outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also provide
    digital phone and cable.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 14, 2010
    #8
  9. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 10/14/2010 1:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:42:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/14/2010 10:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote
    >> the following tidbit of information:
    >>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to
    >>>> the Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the Internet
    >>>> still being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech support and
    >>>> got a recording telling me that the tech support business hours were
    >>>> from sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20 minutes to a half hour
    >>>> the connection was restored and back up and running. This morning I
    >>>> placed a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech support number and was
    >>>> connected to the usual tech support. Explaining the experience I had
    >>>> with calling tech support at 12:25am this morning, I was told that
    >>>> tech support was still the same as always 24/7 and there was no
    >>>> explanation as to why I received the recording I did. Q: Wondering if
    >>>> anyone else with AT&T Yahoo experienced the the same?
    >>>
    >>> My experience with them wasn't the same issue as yours. But it had been
    >>> bad enough that I terminated my account and even my land line who was
    >>> also under ATT ownership.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Cool I'll give it some thought.

    >
    > It wasn't awful under SBC but enter AT&T and suddenly the bad support
    > went to horrible outsourced support by Raji and his pals over on the
    > other side of the world. I once spent 3 hours on the phone with them
    > trying to correct a service and billing error that led to the
    > decommissioning of their service without any warning. I downed an 8 ounce
    > water glass full of scotch when I finally got home.
    >
    >
    >

    Voat are you doing to correct the problem. I am in India and it is to
    far for me to do anything from here. I can only hope you get better
    service soon. Are you having a fine day. Can you tell me the answer to
    your secret question? Did I tell you to reboot the system yet? :)

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: They're the only culture some people have.
     
    OldGringo38, Oct 14, 2010
    #9
  10. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:51:03 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > On 10/14/2010 1:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:42:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 10/14/2010 10:21 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote
    >>> the following tidbit of information:
    >>>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:09:19 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Early this morning 12:25 am my 2Wire 2701 gateway lost connection to
    >>>>> the Internet. After a few minutes with the connection to the
    >>>>> Internet still being down, I placed a call to the AT&T Yahoo tech
    >>>>> support and got a recording telling me that the tech support
    >>>>> business hours were from sometime early am to 11:00 pm. Within 20
    >>>>> minutes to a half hour the connection was restored and back up and
    >>>>> running. This morning I placed a call to the same AT&T Yahoo tech
    >>>>> support number and was connected to the usual tech support.
    >>>>> Explaining the experience I had with calling tech support at 12:25am
    >>>>> this morning, I was told that tech support was still the same as
    >>>>> always 24/7 and there was no explanation as to why I received the
    >>>>> recording I did. Q: Wondering if anyone else with AT&T Yahoo
    >>>>> experienced the the same?
    >>>>
    >>>> My experience with them wasn't the same issue as yours. But it had
    >>>> been bad enough that I terminated my account and even my land line
    >>>> who was also under ATT ownership.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Cool I'll give it some thought.

    >>
    >> It wasn't awful under SBC but enter AT&T and suddenly the bad support
    >> went to horrible outsourced support by Raji and his pals over on the
    >> other side of the world. I once spent 3 hours on the phone with them
    >> trying to correct a service and billing error that led to the
    >> decommissioning of their service without any warning. I downed an 8
    >> ounce water glass full of scotch when I finally got home.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Voat are you doing to correct the problem. I am in India and it is to
    > far for me to do anything from here. I can only hope you get better
    > service soon. Are you having a fine day. Can you tell me the answer to
    > your secret question? Did I tell you to reboot the system yet? :)


    :)



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 14, 2010
    #10
  11. OldGringo38

    Anyone Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:13:16 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I will assume you're on a cable modem.

    >>
    >> You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked they
    >> were not in the cable business.
    >>
    >> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough to
    >> live in an area that has U-Verse.

    >
    > Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    > least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit for
    > outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    > reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also provide
    > digital phone and cable.


    My anecdote: AT&T Uverse is available here, and I haven't yet heard any
    complaints. The interesting part is it works with 3Mbps. Seems likely
    they have some kind of 'special' provisioning for the service that isn't
    the same as plain-vanilla ADSL.
     
    Anyone, Oct 15, 2010
    #11
  12. OldGringo38

    Anyone Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:13:16 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I will assume you're on a cable modem.

    >>
    >> You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked they
    >> were not in the cable business.
    >>
    >> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough to
    >> live in an area that has U-Verse.

    >
    > Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    > least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit for
    > outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    > reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also provide
    > digital phone and cable.


    My anecdote: AT&T Uverse is available here, and I haven't yet heard any
    complaints. The interesting part is it works with 3Mbps. Seems likely
    they have some kind of 'special' provisioning for the service that isn't
    the same as plain-vanilla ADSL.
     
    Anyone, Oct 15, 2010
    #12
  13. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:05:04 +0000, Anyone wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:13:16 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:
    >>
    >>> richard <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I will assume you're on a cable modem.
    >>>
    >>> You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked
    >>> they were not in the cable business.
    >>>
    >>> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough
    >>> to live in an area that has U-Verse.

    >>
    >> Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    >> least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit for
    >> outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    >> reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also
    >> provide digital phone and cable.

    >
    > My anecdote: AT&T Uverse is available here, and I haven't yet heard any
    > complaints. The interesting part is it works with 3Mbps. Seems likely
    > they have some kind of 'special' provisioning for the service that isn't
    > the same as plain-vanilla ADSL.


    Don't know what you mean by "works with 3Mbps". I know once you get into
    a package that approaches mine you're paying more money. The only benefit
    is you get double the outgoing bandwidth. That's of no benefit to me.
    I pay around a hundred bucks a month for internet and digital TV with
    an HD-DVR, all the HD channels I care to watch. I record everything I
    watch so I can skip the commercials. I have a 160 GB eSATA drive on the
    DVR because HD really eats up the record time. 99% of what I watch is in
    1080.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 15, 2010
    #13
  14. OldGringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough to
    >> live in an area that has U-Verse.

    >
    >Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    >least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit for
    >outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    >reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also provide
    >digital phone and cable.


    I used to have it and it was awesome. Record 4 shows simultaneously. Watch
    them in any room. No pixelation or extreme compression like the cable company.
    10/2 Mbps flawless Internet.

    The technology is IP TV, the only other competitor with a similar service is
    Verizon's FIOS.

    Basically, your neighborhood has to be wired for optical-fiber before you can
    even think about either service. The services are based on Very-high-bitrate
    DSL (VDSL or VHDSL) which is 52 Mbit/s downstream and 16 Mbit/s upstream -->

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_data_rate_Digital_Subscriber_Line

    Some lucky customers get FTTP (FTTP - Fiber-to-the premises), some get
    fiber-to-the-curb (FTTC).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTP

    If you have access to Uverse/FIOS you should consider yourself lucky. I wish I
    could get it.

    This is next generation stuff. I believe eventually all homes will have the
    infrastructure in their neighborhoods, and all communication coming/leaving the
    house will be over FTTD (Fiber to the device) such as a router. Since this is
    next-generation (think 30 years to complete the build in the USA), it is only
    available to a small percentage of customers in the Verizon, AT&T service areas.
    Basically, they're upgrading from copper to fiber across the board but they hit
    the money-making areas first (I.E -- nicer neighborhoods, close enough to the CO
    (Central Office) where the fiber meets the fiber on a backbone.

    The potential of a fiber cable to every home is enormous. It could be
    provisioned for 39,813.12 Mbit/s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC-3072) right
    now. That's a fat pipe! Imagine the possibilities...
     
    G. Morgan, Oct 16, 2010
    #14
  15. OldGringo38

    Anyone Guest

    On 10/15/2010 08:55 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:05:04 +0000, Anyone wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:13:16 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> richard<> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I will assume you're on a cable modem.
    >>>>
    >>>> You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked
    >>>> they were not in the cable business.
    >>>>
    >>>> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough
    >>>> to live in an area that has U-Verse.
    >>>
    >>> Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    >>> least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit for
    >>> outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    >>> reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also
    >>> provide digital phone and cable.

    >>
    >> My anecdote: AT&T Uverse is available here, and I haven't yet heard any
    >> complaints. The interesting part is it works with 3Mbps. Seems likely
    >> they have some kind of 'special' provisioning for the service that isn't
    >> the same as plain-vanilla ADSL.

    >
    > Don't know what you mean by "works with 3Mbps".


    That's the neighbor's download line rate. It's a little surprising
    because I had expected a higher number. AT&T field techs out here claim
    that Uverse is provisioned differently from all other service.

    > I know once you get into
    > a package that approaches mine you're paying more money. The only benefit
    > is you get double the outgoing bandwidth. That's of no benefit to me.
    > I pay around a hundred bucks a month for internet and digital TV with
    > an HD-DVR, all the HD channels I care to watch. I record everything I
    > watch so I can skip the commercials. I have a 160 GB eSATA drive on the
    > DVR because HD really eats up the record time. 99% of what I watch is in
    > 1080.


    I haven't looked in a while, but I believe it's a similar deal out here.
    A DVR would be nice, but I don't want to bother with all the extra
    stuff unless and until there is more to watch on TV. For now, I will
    just use Comcast internet.
     
    Anyone, Oct 16, 2010
    #15
  16. OldGringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote:

    >Voat are you doing to correct the problem. I am in India and it is to
    >far for me to do anything from here. I can only hope you get better
    >service soon. Are you having a fine day. Can you tell me the answer to
    >your secret question? Did I tell you to reboot the system yet? :)



    You got the same guy I did!! ;-)
     
    G. Morgan, Oct 16, 2010
    #16
  17. OldGringo38

    G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    >Even worse, there are some legacy systems who's administrators have
    >retired; when the main part of those systems fail, there's no place to
    >go. They never shared all their knowledge.


    If he was a decent fellow, he would have left a manual behind for his successor
    (or trained him). And gave away all the credentials to someone responsible.
     
    G. Morgan, Oct 16, 2010
    #17
  18. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:50:03 -0700, Anyone wrote:

    > On 10/15/2010 08:55 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:05:04 +0000, Anyone wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:13:16 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> richard<> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I will assume you're on a cable modem.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked
    >>>>> they were not in the cable business.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky enough
    >>>>> to live in an area that has U-Verse.
    >>>>
    >>>> Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good at
    >>>> least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has shit
    >>>> for outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming. And it's
    >>>> reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and also
    >>>> provide digital phone and cable.
    >>>
    >>> My anecdote: AT&T Uverse is available here, and I haven't yet heard
    >>> any complaints. The interesting part is it works with 3Mbps. Seems
    >>> likely they have some kind of 'special' provisioning for the service
    >>> that isn't the same as plain-vanilla ADSL.

    >>
    >> Don't know what you mean by "works with 3Mbps".

    >
    > That's the neighbor's download line rate. It's a little surprising
    > because I had expected a higher number. AT&T field techs out here claim
    > that Uverse is provisioned differently from all other service.


    The plans I looked at included 3 but also much faster. Something like 15
    Mbps was around 50 a month.If ATT told you your particular locale is
    provisioned different they're blowing smoke up your ass because 3 Mbps is
    slow for ADSL and the U shit is fiber. Not sure but they could even run
    fiber into your home modem. I haven't researched it much because even if
    it was available here (it is just 3 miles north of here) I have such
    distaste for ATT that it wouldn't be a consideration since digital cable
    is just fine.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 16, 2010
    #18
  19. OldGringo38

    Anyone Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:13:35 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:50:03 -0700, Anyone wrote:
    >
    >> On 10/15/2010 08:55 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:05:04 +0000, Anyone wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:13:16 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:46 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> richard<> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I will assume you're on a cable modem.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> You would be dead wrong. He said he had AT&T, last time I checked
    >>>>>> they were not in the cable business.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Although they do compete with cable, but only if you're lucky
    >>>>>> enough to live in an area that has U-Verse.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Or unlucky enough. Everything I've read of uverse hasn't been good
    >>>>> at least for DSLReports reviews. I pay 45/mo for cable which has
    >>>>> shit for outgoing bandwidth but typically I get 15 Mbps incoming.
    >>>>> And it's reliable, the company has been in the area for 30 years and
    >>>>> also provide digital phone and cable.
    >>>>
    >>>> My anecdote: AT&T Uverse is available here, and I haven't yet heard
    >>>> any complaints. The interesting part is it works with 3Mbps. Seems
    >>>> likely they have some kind of 'special' provisioning for the service
    >>>> that isn't the same as plain-vanilla ADSL.
    >>>
    >>> Don't know what you mean by "works with 3Mbps".

    >>
    >> That's the neighbor's download line rate. It's a little surprising
    >> because I had expected a higher number. AT&T field techs out here
    >> claim that Uverse is provisioned differently from all other service.

    >
    > The plans I looked at included 3 but also much faster. [15, 50Mbps]


    Same here, but may neighborhood is still too far from the remote terminal
    to support more than 6Mbps over UTP (noise margin ~6dB, and my interior
    line is CAT5, no bridge taps). A direct connection to the CO is more
    than 19Kft, so without the RT we'd not get much more than ordinary dialup.

    > If ATT told you your particular locale is
    > provisioned different they're blowing smoke up your ass


    Nope, that is the measured download to his PC. So now, download to his
    multiple flat screen TVs can only be higher if there is some kind of
    difference between say 'data' and 'video' to his house (for lack of a
    better description). Also, I have more than one source who claim the
    same thing -- AT&T have different provisioning for plain ADSL and
    Uverse. Until I have better info, I have no good reason to doubt that.

    > because 3 Mbps
    > is slow for ADSL and the U shit is fiber.


    No, 1.5Mbps is slow for ADSL, and that is what other carriers in this
    area still offer. It's true that Uverse is fiber, but only to the remote
    terminal, at least in my area. The RT sits between my area and the CO,
    and the previous LEC (SBC, if memory serves) installed fiber to that node
    some years ago. I'm told that other areas of the larger community can
    get fiber closer to the premises, but my neighbors and I cannot. (AT&T
    sales dweebs routinely lie about that option, btw.)

    This is an older neighborhood, and it's my bet that carriers don't want
    to install FTTC (equivalently, FTTH) because that would entail pulling
    copper and fiber or digging up streets and sidewalks for miles. Even if
    they got a hard-on for all of that one day, it seems likely they would
    not find enough paying customers to cover the cost.

    > Not sure but they could even
    > run fiber into your home modem.


    Certainly the technology exists, and there is a ratified standard for
    Ethernet in the last mile (includes optics), but again, it isn't cheap.
    If this will ever become reality, I expect everyone will need to deploy
    "active fiber" just for safety reasons (embedded E-O and O-E at each end
    of the line), and earliest available line rate be 100Mbps. (as you would
    expect, there is much more info on that if you want to go there.)

    > I haven't researched it much because
    > even if it was available here (it is just 3 miles north of here) I have
    > such distaste for ATT that it wouldn't be a consideration since digital
    > cable is just fine.


    I suspect the neighbor has IPTV or something very much like it, but I
    haven't spent enough time looking at that myself. In their defense, AT&T
    field support out here seem to know enough about what they're doing to
    offer good service. AT&T second-tier tech support seem reasonably
    informed about end-user Ethernet (IP addresses, small non-controller-
    based networks; Microsoft networking fundamentals, and so on). AT&T
    first-tier tech support is as poorly informed as any other. Comcast
    first-tier tech support is bad joke, but if I can avoid contacting them
    then my present 15Mbps is fine for now.

    (apologies for the length of this, but it's a personal interest thing.)
     
    Anyone, Oct 20, 2010
    #19
  20. OldGringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:41:30 +0000, Anyone wrote:


    <snip>
    (apologies for the length of this, but it's a personal interest thing.)

    You have way too much time on your hands. I know enough about ATT ADSL
    after using it for several years.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Oct 20, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. S. O'Brien
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    549
  2. Freddy
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    513
    Paul Lynch
    Nov 26, 2003
  3. Wilhelm Scjlezieky

    Russian PC Support Tech: HEAR ME ROAR

    Wilhelm Scjlezieky, Jul 27, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    772
    Politician Spock
    Jul 27, 2004
  4. T-Bone

    [OT] Offshore tech support

    T-Bone, Sep 23, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    517
    Consultant
    Sep 27, 2004
  5. Keyboard Cowboy

    OT: MSN Tech Support

    Keyboard Cowboy, Oct 7, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    790
    Rowdy Yates
    Oct 8, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page