AT&T Customer Service in New Delhi? Your Security is Nil.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Anonymous Sender, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Use AT&T long distance, MasterCard (Universal Card), or other service?

    Call their customer service at 1-800-CALL ATT and if a heavily accented
    customer service representative answers, ask what city you called.

    It is contrary to "Company Policy" for reasons of "Security" for any AT&T
    representative to tell you which City and even which Country you have
    reached for customer service! Whose security? What security? Why such a
    policy? Its a clumsy way of concealing the fact that AT&T has exported
    American jobs overseas, possibly Pakistan or India where you cannot trust
    your business to be known.

    Overseas for cheaper wages - $4 a day vs American Wages? While this
    business decision is and of itself is not an ethical shortcoming, going to
    Third World Countries with YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN DETAIL is a
    "Security" issue for YOU. All your personal information like Social
    Security Number, mother's maiden name, account numbers, billing history,
    your business contacts have all been exported overseas, beyond the reach of
    U.S. Law! It resides in computers there and in plain view of foreigners to
    see and pass along to criminal elements in retaliation for being paid
    starvation wages. Still don't believe it, call now and you will be asked
    for all that information to check against their screens.

    All of us have been compromised. Any individual who values his security
    and privacy and any Company that wants to keep its affairs private had
    better take note. Call AT&T now and check this information out. Then put
    them on notice that if in 30 days all operations have not been return to
    secure U.S. quarters, you will cancel your service.
    Anonymous Sender, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Anonymous Sender

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    [snip]
    > Overseas for cheaper wages - $4 a day vs American Wages? While this
    > business decision is and of itself is not an ethical shortcoming, going to
    > Third World Countries with YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN DETAIL is a
    > "Security" issue for YOU. All your personal information like Social

    [snip]

    I hate to burst your bubble, but it's been going on for about 7 years
    with the mainstream businesses across the US and other industrial
    countries. Why do you think there are so many IT people out of work.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Anonymous Sender

    Guest

    Anonymous Sender <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Call their customer service at 1-800-CALL ATT and if a heavily accented
    > customer service representative answers, ask what city you called.

    You can ask if they are in the United States. If they decline to
    answer, hang up. If they answer, you then can decide whether to hang
    up or continue the call.

    > All your personal information ... have all been exported overseas, beyond the
    > reach of U.S. Law!

    Well, not really. They do have access to it, which is more nitpicking
    than anything, but the data has not been exported.

    > Then put
    > them on notice that if in 30 days all operations have not been return to
    > secure U.S. quarters, you will cancel your service.

    Playing Devil's advocate, what makes you think AT&T or whomever
    outsources overseas will purge your personal information after you've
    closed your account? You probably know that the minute you leave them
    they will bombard you with enticements (junk mail) to get you back.
    If all your personal information is purged when you cancel your
    account, how come they still know where you live?

    And it's not just outsourcing companies, either. Earthlink did the
    same thing to me, as did GTE (now Verizon).
    , Nov 13, 2003
  4. Anonymous Sender

    nemo Guest

    There was a programme on UK television about overseas call centres and
    they even teach the operators about UK soap programmes so that they
    can appear as if they're from the UK.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Anonymous Sender

    Fowl Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:47:12 +0000, nemo <> wrote:

    >There was a programme on UK television about overseas call centres and
    >they even teach the operators about UK soap programmes so that they
    >can appear as if they're from the UK.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >nemo
    >
    >On 13 Nov 2003 14:02:47 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>Anonymous Sender <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>> Call their customer service at 1-800-CALL ATT and if a heavily accented
    >>> customer service representative answers, ask what city you called.

    >>You can ask if they are in the United States. If they decline to
    >>answer, hang up. If they answer, you then can decide whether to hang
    >>up or continue the call.
    >>
    >>> All your personal information ... have all been exported overseas, beyond the
    >>> reach of U.S. Law!

    >>Well, not really. They do have access to it, which is more nitpicking
    >>than anything, but the data has not been exported.
    >>
    >>> Then put
    >>> them on notice that if in 30 days all operations have not been return to
    >>> secure U.S. quarters, you will cancel your service.

    >>Playing Devil's advocate, what makes you think AT&T or whomever
    >>outsources overseas will purge your personal information after you've
    >>closed your account? You probably know that the minute you leave them
    >>they will bombard you with enticements (junk mail) to get you back.
    >>If all your personal information is purged when you cancel your
    >>account, how come they still know where you live?
    >>
    >>And it's not just outsourcing companies, either. Earthlink did the
    >>same thing to me, as did GTE (now Verizon).

    Dell Support Service is in India.

    To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net
    Fowl, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Fowl Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>:
    > Dell Support Service is in India.

    So is Computer Associates.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Anonymous Sender

    Obi-Lan Guest

    On 2003-11-15, Fowl said:

    > Dell Support Service is in India.

    A lot of the marketing bumpf for call centres in India, states that they
    have moved away from this 'US' training technique of soap-opera-training.

    If anyone's unhappy with Indian call centre staff, then may I suggest you
    sign up to AOL from the UK. You'll get Irish people to talk to on your phone
    instead. Nothing wrong with the Irish, plenty wrong with AOL.

    Regards,

    Obi.

    --
    $ whereis cheque_in_the_post
    cheque_in_the_post:

    PG Tips Tea ID : 2 000148 020657
    Obi-Lan, Nov 15, 2003
  8. Anonymous Sender

    Guest

    Obi-Lan <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > If anyone's unhappy with Indian call centre staff, then may I suggest you
    > sign up to AOL from the UK. You'll get Irish people to talk to on your phone
    > instead. Nothing wrong with the Irish, plenty wrong with AOL.

    Well, except that Ireland is still overseas for me. :)
    , Nov 17, 2003