At last Linux has a decent text editor

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Greene, Nov 14, 2009.

  1. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    Ray Greene, Nov 14, 2009

  2. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.

    I thought you were going to say Notepad had been ported ;-)
    EMB, Nov 14, 2009

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:54:49 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.

    >I thought you were going to say Notepad had been ported ;-)

    Ooh, if only... <sigh> :)

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Nov 14, 2009
  4. Stephen Worthington, Nov 14, 2009
  5. Ray Greene

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >
    > http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >
    > Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    > Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.

    What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

    And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb character-based file manager.
    What about it don't you like as a file manager?

    Carnations, Nov 14, 2009
  6. Ray Greene

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>
    >>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>
    >>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    >>Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    > Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
    >
    > http://www.slickedit.com/
    >
    > http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=158&id=235%E3%80%

    88=en&view=article

    And lets not forget about Kate - its part of the KDE project - http://www.kde.org - and it is an excellent
    GUI based text editor.

    Carnations, Nov 14, 2009
  7. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>
    >>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>
    >>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    >>Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    >Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
    >
    > http://www.slickedit.com/
    >
    >http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=158&id=235〈=en&view=article

    Nice, but it's a bit outside my price range though.
    Ray Greene, Nov 14, 2009
  8. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:59:14 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>>
    >>>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    >>>Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    >> Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
    >>
    >> http://www.slickedit.com/
    >>
    >> http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=158&id=235%E3%80%

    >88=en&view=article
    >
    >And lets not forget about Kate - its part of the KDE project - http://www.kde.org - and it is an excellent
    >GUI based text editor.

    It's OK as a basic editor but it has nowhere near the features
    UltraEdit has.
    Ray Greene, Nov 14, 2009
  9. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>
    >> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>
    >> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    >> Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    >Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.
    >
    >What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

    Learning to use UltraEdit doesn't cause brain damage :)
    Isn't Writer a word processor?

    >And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb character-based file manager.
    >What about it don't you like as a file manager?

    I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows
    Explorer way of working. There are a number of good Windows file
    managers which use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see
    if any of them are usable under Wine.
    Ray Greene, Nov 14, 2009
  10. Ray Greene

    Murray Symon Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:

    > UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >
    > http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >
    > Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    > Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    Check out X File Explorer ("xfe") - it is a file manager that has been
    designed with the ubiquitously familiar MS Windows look and feel.
    Murray Symon, Nov 14, 2009
  11. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:54:49 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.

    >> I thought you were going to say Notepad had been ported ;-)

    > Ooh, if only... <sigh> :)

    When I upgraded to Karmic Koala it installed Wine and Notepad.

    I like gvim since I can intersperse useful vi commands with cut and
    paste and menu hopping if I feel like it. UltraEdit may be good, but
    I've not used it enough to tell. I know it did have problems with GB
    files that were being written to and used to just hang, whereas Notepad
    would just work with them. However Notepad did not keep up with the
    changes, while UE tried to (for smaller files).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2009
  12. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>
    >> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>
    >> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking
    >> that Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    > Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.

    I alays knew you were a dolt, Lennier. Now you reveal yourself to be an
    ignorant dolt. Anyone who has had to work with interesting files on
    Windows will have at least heard of UltraEdit.

    > What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

    The big one that would be nice is multiple file edit. While you can do
    that in vi it is cumbersome. Lots of other features too, I understand,
    though I've not used it much.

    > And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
    > character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a file
    > manager?

    mc is a decent program but simple. It doesn't do drag and drop for
    example. If I want to use a file manager I'd use a proper one, like
    Explorer in Windows. There are Linux file managers which work like
    Explorer, but none is clearly better than any other, and they all tend
    to have interfaces that are more or less idiosyncratic.

    mc is a clone of Norton Commander with bits from XTree.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2009
  13. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>>
    >>> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking
    >>> that Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    >> Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.
    >>
    >> What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

    > Learning to use UltraEdit doesn't cause brain damage :) Isn't Writer
    > a word processor?
    >
    >> And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
    >> character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a
    >> file manager?

    > I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows
    > Explorer way of working. There are a number of good Windows file
    > managers which use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see
    > if any of them are usable under Wine.

    You might find a file manager that fits your style of working that runs
    natively on Linux. There's a number of them.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2009
  14. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>>
    >>> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    >>> Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    >> Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
    >>
    >> http://www.slickedit.com/
    >>
    >> http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=158&id=235%E3%80%

    > 88=en&view=article
    >
    > And lets not forget about Kate - its part of the KDE project - http://www.kde.org - and it is an excellent
    > GUI based text editor.

    Kate isn't bad. It just isn't good.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2009
  15. Ray Greene

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +1300
    Ray Greene <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    > >
    > >> UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    > >>
    > >> Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking
    > >> that Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    > >Can't say that I have ever heard of Ultraedit.
    > >
    > >What makes Ultraedit better than VI or... Writer?

    > Learning to use UltraEdit doesn't cause brain damage :)
    > Isn't Writer a word processor?
    >
    > >And have you used Midnight Commander? In my opinion it is a superb
    > >character-based file manager. What about it don't you like as a file
    > >manager?

    > I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows
    > Explorer way of working. There are a number of good Windows file
    > managers which use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see
    > if any of them are usable under Wine.

    Hi
    I use medit, have packaged it up for openSUSE/SLE
    http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
    Malcolm, Nov 14, 2009
  16. Ray Greene

    Sailor Sam Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:30:27 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> I just never got used to Midnight Commander. I like the Windows Explorer
    >> way of working. There are a number of good Windows file managers which
    >> use that style. I'm trying Ubuntu again so I might see if any of them
    >> are usable under Wine.

    > There's a great file manager for Linux called Konqueror.
    >
    > It has the added advantage of being able to display files inline and,
    > according to rumours, also has some web browsing capability.

    pffft, Bash has to be the best file browser ever :p

    One can list, find, grep, find -exec grep foo \; -print, surf the net
    (lynx) play media files, mplayer, mpg123, play, chat on irc, bitchx,
    irssi. The list goes on.

    :)
    Sailor Sam, Nov 14, 2009
  17. Ray Greene

    John Little Guest

    Troll (though editor trolling is a fine tradition).

    vim can't be matched for the breadth and helpfulness of its community,
    and the range of platforms you can get it on. Can Ultraedit spell
    check Ngaruawahia out of the box?

    Regards, John
    John Little, Nov 14, 2009
  18. On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:19:54 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:46:57 +1300, Stephen Worthington
    ><34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:33:17 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>UltraEdit has been ported to Linux.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/uex.html
    >>>
    >>>Now if I could just find a decent file manager I'd start thinking that
    >>>Linux was almost ready for the desktop :)

    >>Slickedit is been available for Linux for many years now:
    >>
    >> http://www.slickedit.com/
    >>
    >>http://www.slickedit.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=158&id=235〈=en&view=article

    >Nice, but it's a bit outside my price range though.

    There is that slight problem, yes. But for a professional programmer,
    you really do want that level of editor. It makes you lots more
    productive. I would never want to live without a really good editor
    like SlickEdit. I am surprised to find that few employers of
    programmers seem to have any idea how important an editor is to
    productivity. It is the number one tool you use for hours every day,
    so how could it not be important? But they do not seem to realise
    that they need to be paying for a good editor the same way they seem
    to be happy to pay Microsoft for Office.

    BTW The initial buy price for SlickEdit is pretty offputting, but the
    annual maintenance is much more reasonable and includes all upgrades.
    Stephen Worthington, Nov 14, 2009
  19. Ray Greene

    Sailor Sam Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:05:38 +1300, Sailor Sam wrote:
    >
    >> pffft, Bash has to be the best file browser ever :p
    >>
    >> One can list, find, grep, find -exec grep foo \; -print, surf the net
    >> (lynx) play media files, mplayer, mpg123, play, chat on irc, bitchx,
    >> irssi. The list goes on.
    >>
    >> :)

    > No matter how smart or snazzy the console programs are, they'll never be
    > able to display pr0n (unless, of course, you're one of those deviants who
    > gets off on ascii-art renderings of Debbie Does Dallas :p)

    Ahh, ascii pr0n, now that takes me back...
    Sailor Sam, Nov 15, 2009
  20. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:25:02 -0800 (PST), John Little
    <> wrote:

    >Troll (though editor trolling is a fine tradition).
    >
    >vim can't be matched for the breadth and helpfulness of its community,
    >and the range of platforms you can get it on. Can Ultraedit spell
    >check Ngaruawahia out of the box?

    You've got a very strong point there John. It's a failing that I've
    tried repeatedly to overlook, but honestly, I couldn't begin to count
    the number of times UltraEdit has failed to do exactly that. :)
    Ray Greene, Nov 15, 2009