    connection speed?
    Also because of the topographical situation at my house no satellite
    coverage either.

    Harold A Climer, Mar 6, 2012

  2. On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:02:59 PM UTC, Harold A Climer wrote:
    > I have Microsoft Widows 7 Professional (64bit) installed on my new
    > computer. I just bought the computer in January, and it is a bit of a
    > learning curve for me because I was very familiar with Windows XP
    > MCE, which was installed on my old computer and I had used since 2007.
    > Every time I boot up, the Windows Wireless Mouse driver(Microsoft
    > Explorer Mouse) installs and gives a message that it has installed OK.
    > Is this normal? It did not do this under Windows XP.

    It seems unusual to me. I don't know this mouse
    but I assume it comes with a USB plug for its
    wireless connection.

    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122/en-us>
    has suggestions; you could put the plug into a
    different USB port, or un-install and re-install
    its software, making sure that you have software
    suitable for Windows 7 and/or 64-bit if you can.

    If plugged into a perpheral hub, the mouse adapter
    may be not recognsed as connected until the hub is
    booted and recognised.

    I also don't know USB 3, but you may get a
    notification when a USB 3 device is in a
    USB 2 port.

    > Also since I have to use a dial up modem to connect to the Internet,
    > (no cable or wireless service that is worth a hoot here in the
    > sticks), is there a way to click on the monitor icon to check the
    > connection speed?
    > Also because of the topographical situation at my house no satellite
    > coverage either.

    I'm also not sure about this, but try the
    "Network and Sharing Center", either on the
    Start Menu or by right-clicking your connected
    system tray icon. TheN click on the text that
    describes your connection, and you may get a
    familiar "Connection status" dialog that
    contains the information you're looking for.

    Robert Carnegie, Mar 8, 2012

  3. Harold A Climer

    GS Guest

    Harold A Climer pretended :
    > I have Microsoft Widows 7 Professional (64bit) installed on my new
    > computer. I just bought the computer in January, and it is a bit of a
    > learning curve for me because I was very familiar with Windows XP
    > MCE, which was installed on my old computer and I had used since 2007.
    > Every time I boot up, the Windows Wireless Mouse driver(Microsoft
    > Explorer Mouse) installs and gives a message that it has installed OK.
    > Is this normal? It did not do this under Windows XP.
    > Also since I have to use a dial up modem to connect to the Internet,
    > (no cable or wireless service that is worth a hoot here in the
    > sticks), is there a way to click on the monitor icon to check the
    > connection speed?
    > Also because of the topographical situation at my house no satellite
    > coverage either.

    If you don't ALWAYS plug the device into THE SAME USB port then Windows
    will reinstall its drivers because it thinks it's a new HID since the
    last time used it was located at a different address. (each USB port
    has its own unique address) This also holds true for XP and any other
    OS on a machine with multiple USB ports.

    --
    Garry

    ClassicVB Users Regroup!
    comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
    microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

    GS, Mar 8, 2012
  4. Harold A Climer

    VanguardLH Guest

    GS wrote:

    > Harold A Climer pretended :

    <GS' attribution line foretells the type of advice he offers.>

    >> Every time I boot up, the Windows Wireless Mouse driver(Microsoft
    >> Explorer Mouse) installs and gives a message that it has installed OK.
    >> Is this normal? It did not do this under Windows XP.

    > If you don't ALWAYS plug the device into THE SAME USB port then Windows
    > will reinstall its drivers because it thinks it's a new HID since the
    > last time used it was located at a different address. (each USB port
    > has its own unique address) This also holds true for XP and any other
    > OS on a machine with multiple USB ports.

    That's *not* now USB is supposed to work. The VID (vendor ID) gets
    recorded in the Enum registry keys so when the device happens to migrate
    between different USB ports that the device remains already defined.
    Plugging a USB device into a different USB port should NOT instigate a
    reinstall of the device's driver as the device should be identified by
    its VID when used in a different port.

    When you plug your USB-attached printer into a different port, do you
    really get prompted to redo the entire installation procedure just
    because you moved that printer to a different USB port? Nope.

    Go look in the registry at the following key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
    (under the USB* subkeys)

    Where in those enumerations do you see a device is fixed to a particular
    USB port?

    VanguardLH, Mar 8, 2012
  5. Harold A Climer

    GS Guest

    VanguardLH has brought this to us :
    > GS wrote:
    >
    >> Harold A Climer pretended : <GS' attribution line foretells the type of
    >> advice he offers.>
    >>
    >>> Every time I boot up, the Windows Wireless Mouse driver(Microsoft
    >>> Explorer Mouse) installs and gives a message that it has installed OK.
    >>> Is this normal? It did not do this under Windows XP.

    >> If you don't ALWAYS plug the device into THE SAME USB port then Windows
    >> will reinstall its drivers because it thinks it's a new HID since the
    >> last time used it was located at a different address. (each USB port
    >> has its own unique address) This also holds true for XP and any other
    >> OS on a machine with multiple USB ports.

    > That's *not* now USB is supposed to work. The VID (vendor ID) gets
    > recorded in the Enum registry keys so when the device happens to migrate
    > between different USB ports that the device remains already defined.
    > Plugging a USB device into a different USB port should NOT instigate a
    > reinstall of the device's driver as the device should be identified by
    > its VID when used in a different port.
    >
    > When you plug your USB-attached printer into a different port, do you
    > really get prompted to redo the entire installation procedure just
    > because you moved that printer to a different USB port? Nope.

    Yes.., every time! Not sure why and I tend to agree with your
    explanation of 'how it *should* work' but that has not been my
    experience!

    > Go look in the registry at the following key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
    > (under the USB* subkeys)
    >
    > Where in those enumerations do you see a device is fixed to a particular
    > USB port?

    Not the point! The behavior is the point regardless of what the
    Registry holds. Did you not consider that the onboard controller may be
    defective? It's not like they're all 'top quality' or such that many
    can (and do) malfunction!

    GS, Mar 9, 2012
  6. Harold A Climer

    VanguardLH Guest

    GS wrote:

    > VanguardLH has brought this to us :
    >> GS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Harold A Climer pretended : <GS' attribution line foretells the type of
    >>> advice he offers.>

    >>> If you don't ALWAYS plug the device into THE SAME USB port then Windows
    >>> will reinstall its drivers because it thinks it's a new HID since the
    >>> last time used it was located at a different address. (each USB port
    >>> has its own unique address) This also holds true for XP and any other
    >>> OS on a machine with multiple USB ports.

    >> That's *not* now USB is supposed to work. The VID (vendor ID) gets
    >> recorded in the Enum registry keys so when the device happens to migrate
    >> between different USB ports that the device remains already defined.
    >> Plugging a USB device into a different USB port should NOT instigate a
    >> reinstall of the device's driver as the device should be identified by
    >> its VID when used in a different port.
    >>
    >> When you plug your USB-attached printer into a different port, do you
    >> really get prompted to redo the entire installation procedure just
    >> because you moved that printer to a different USB port? Nope.

    > Yes.., every time! Not sure why and I tend to agree with your
    > explanation of 'how it *should* work' but that has not been my
    > experience!

    That must be a big nuisance. I certainly wouldn't want to re-install
    the driver for my digital camera or printer just because I plugged them
    into whatever USB port happened to be available at the time.

    >> Go look in the registry at the following key:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
    >> (under the USB* subkeys)
    >>
    >> Where in those enumerations do you see a device is fixed to a particular
    >> USB port?

    > Not the point! The behavior is the point regardless of what the
    > Registry holds.

    Oh, so you don't know what enumeration data is for.

    >Did you not consider that the onboard controller may be
    > defective? It's not like they're all 'top quality' or such that many
    > can (and do) malfunction!

    I had the opposite problem: the USB device could not be identified.
    When plugged in, there is some handshaking which includes presentation
    data sent by the device to identify itself (part of which is whether or
    not the device requires a vendor-specific driver or if a generic device
    type driver or interface can be used). If the device is defective or
    the presentation data unusable, the OS cannot identify the device. I
    don't recall seeing the OS telling me the presentation data from the
    device was unknown, unusable, or invalid. That's something I saw when
    using USB Device Viewer (UVCView.x86.exe) to look at what the OS did get
    for the device's defintion.

    The OP did not mention if he has tried a different USB mouse. It could
    be the one he is trying is defective.

    From the OP's statement "it has installed OK" that he gets on every
    reboot, I'm wondering if that's nothing more than a status popup saying
    his *wireless* mouse has been found, the transceiver synchronized to it,
    and it's ready for use. I'm not sure that really has anything to do
    with [re-]installing a driver. In other words, it's just a "I'm ready"
    status message, especially if it's a power-saving mouse with an on-off
    switch on the bottom and the prompt is just to let the user know that
    the mouse is on (instead of off and the user wonder why the mouse cursor
    doesn't move). If it is a driver problem, the driver may not have
    gotten installed correctly or completely. If there were pending Windows
    updates (requiring a reboot to complete) when the user installs
    Intellipoint then the driver may be attempting to complete its install
    on every reboot of Windows. It's isn't a USB port issue. It's a failed
    driver installation issue. In that case, the user should uninstall
    Intellipoint, reboot, and install Intellipoint again.

    Hopefully the OP is plugging the USB mouse into a USB port that goes
    directly to a USB controller on the motherboard and NOT attaching the
    USB mouse to a USB hub.

    VanguardLH, Mar 9, 2012
  7. On Friday, March 9, 2012 7:49:31 AM UTC, VanguardLH wrote:
    > GS wrote:
    >
    > > VanguardLH has brought this to us :

    > >> That's *not* now USB is supposed to work. The VID (vendor ID) gets
    > >> recorded in the Enum registry keys so when the device happens to migrate
    > >> between different USB ports that the device remains already defined.
    > >> Plugging a USB device into a different USB port should NOT instigate a
    > >> reinstall of the device's driver as the device should be identified by
    > >> its VID when used in a different port.
    > >>
    > >> When you plug your USB-attached printer into a different port, do you
    > >> really get prompted to redo the entire installation procedure just
    > >> because you moved that printer to a different USB port? Nope.

    > > Yes.., every time! Not sure why and I tend to agree with your
    > > explanation of 'how it *should* work' but that has not been my
    > > experience!

    > That must be a big nuisance. I certainly wouldn't want to re-install
    > the driver for my digital camera or printer just because I plugged them
    > into whatever USB port happened to be available at the time.
    >
    > >> Go look in the registry at the following key:
    > >>
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
    > >> (under the USB* subkeys)
    > >>
    > >> Where in those enumerations do you see a device is fixed to a particular
    > >> USB port?

    > > Not the point! The behavior is the point regardless of what the
    > > Registry holds.

    > Oh, so you don't know what enumeration data is for.
    >
    > >Did you not consider that the onboard controller may be
    > > defective? It's not like they're all 'top quality' or such that many
    > > can (and do) malfunction!

    > I had the opposite problem: the USB device could not be identified.
    > When plugged in, there is some handshaking which includes presentation
    > data sent by the device to identify itself (part of which is whether or
    > not the device requires a vendor-specific driver or if a generic device
    > type driver or interface can be used). If the device is defective or
    > the presentation data unusable, the OS cannot identify the device. I
    > don't recall seeing the OS telling me the presentation data from the
    > device was unknown, unusable, or invalid. That's something I saw when
    > using USB Device Viewer (UVCView.x86.exe) to look at what the OS did get
    > for the device's defintion.
    >
    > The OP did not mention if he has tried a different USB mouse. It could
    > be the one he is trying is defective.

    But it does work, apparently.

    But it belatedly occurs to me that it may be
    in a port where it doesn't get as much power
    as it likes. In that case, a hub with separate
    power supply might be /better/.

    As long as I remember, putting a device into
    each USB port for the first time in Windows
    has often provoked up to a minute of system
    tray messsages of Windows working out what the
    device is and how to use it - with compound
    devices, anyway. I don't have to get out the
    Windows or thirty-party driver CDs (usually)
    for a device that I've previously used in
    another port, but I do have to wait until
    Windows tells me that the device is installed.
    (Well, actually, the mouse may be working a
    couple of seconds earlier.)

    If the message is, as you said, just saying
    that the USB transceiver has made contact with
    the mouse, perhaps that can be turned off if
    it's annoying.

    There's an outside chance, I think, that there
    Is another similar wireless mouse close to the
    PC and it's interFering.

    I read about a user whose neighbour had the same
    model of wireless keyboard, and they got what the
    neighbour was typing. They would typically have
    at least an ID code or a selected channel, but
    there may have been not many different settings.

    I'm using a Bluetooth mouse but sometimes it
    loses contact, and may need to be switched off
    and on (the mouse) to get it back.
    "it.WORKS MBT01". Nothing to do with "BlueTrak",
    by the way - that means that your mouse has a
    pretty blue light on it.

    Robert Carnegie, Mar 9, 2012
  8. Harold A Climer

    GS Guest

    VanguardLH explained :
    > Oh, so you don't know what enumeration data is for.

    I can assure you that I certainly do know what enumeration data is AND
    how to use it. I'm also very familiar (and comfortable) with working in
    the Registry, whether directly via regedit or by code.

    The OP's issue as I perceived it is summed up in his more-info-reply to
    this thread, meaning I was referring to the notifications that occur in
    the UI rather than what may or may not be happening 'under the hood'.
    Certainly, those continuous Shell notifications would possibly lead a
    user to presume Windows doesn't know what's plugged in and so is doing
    some processing as a result. It's also no great surprise that wireless
    mice wreak havoc at the best of times unless conditions are
    'absolutely' perfect.

    GS, Mar 9, 2012