At A Crossroad With a New Printer -- Revisited

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jack Gillis, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    Last weekend, I started this thread asking about using a Color Laser for
    printing photos. The responses, and I thank you all for them, suggested
    it would not be the best thing to do.

    Since then I have looked around and found the world of Dye Sublimation
    printers and now think what I would like to do is go ahead and buy a
    color laser for day to day printing and a dye sub such as the Canon,
    Kodak or Sony for occasional snapshop printing. So with that in mind,
    here a some more questions:

    1. Does each printer require paper and ribbons, or whatever you call
    them, from the same manufacturer? What happens if that manufacturer
    discontinues them? Is there an after-market for them?

    2. What is the shelf life of the unused paper and ribbons. If I print
    60 photos a year, it is a lot.

    3. I have a Canon Powershot camera. Will I have a compatibility problem
    using a Sony or some other printer?

    Thanks again for your patience and information.
    Jack Gillis, Mar 30, 2005

  2. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:37:06 -0500, Jack Gillis wrote:

    <SNIP>
    > 3. I have a Canon Powershot camera. Will I have a compatibility problem
    > using a Sony or some other printer?
    >
    > Thanks again for your patience and information.

    You're welcome. I can only comment on your 3rd question since I don't own
    or use dye-sub printers. However you won't have compatibility problems
    beyond (maybe) some Canon- or Sony-supplied proprietary image processing
    software that may or may not come with respectively the camera or the
    printer. Bottom line: stick with generic image processing software
    (PaintShop Pro and the like, Photoshop etc.) and you'll be fine. It never
    hurts to ask the supplier before you buy though.

    Bas
    Bas v.d. Wiel, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    Thank you, Bas.

    Actually, I think I prefer the Microsoft Picture Manager included with
    Office 2003. It is simple, straightforward and suits my limited needs.

    "Bas v.d. Wiel" <-media.nl> wrote
    in message

    Jack Gillis, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Jack Gillis

    rafe bustin Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Last weekend, I started this thread asking about using a Color Laser for
    >printing photos. The responses, and I thank you all for them, suggested
    >it would not be the best thing to do.
    >
    >Since then I have looked around and found the world of Dye Sublimation
    >printers and now think what I would like to do is go ahead and buy a
    >color laser for day to day printing and a dye sub such as the Canon,
    >Kodak or Sony for occasional snapshop printing. So with that in mind,
    >here a some more questions:
    >
    >1. Does each printer require paper and ribbons, or whatever you call
    >them, from the same manufacturer? What happens if that manufacturer
    >discontinues them? Is there an after-market for them?
    >
    >2. What is the shelf life of the unused paper and ribbons. If I print
    >60 photos a year, it is a lot.
    >
    >3. I have a Canon Powershot camera. Will I have a compatibility problem
    >using a Sony or some other printer?

    Kodak and Olympus both have dandy dye-subs,
    but as you note, the ribbons will be proprietary --
    I wouldn't expect sources beyond Kodak and Oly.
    Also Hi-Ti for smallish prints (3x5 and 4x6".)

    Don't know about shelf life of ribbons.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Mar 30, 2005
  5. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    Thank you, Rafe. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

    Jack

    Jack Gillis, Mar 30, 2005
  6. Jack Gillis

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    > Last weekend, I started this thread asking about using a Color Laser for
    > printing photos. The responses, and I thank you all for them, suggested
    > it would not be the best thing to do.
    >
    > Since then I have looked around and found the world of Dye Sublimation
    > printers and now think what I would like to do is go ahead and buy a
    > color laser for day to day printing and a dye sub such as the Canon,
    > Kodak or Sony for occasional snapshop printing. So with that in mind,
    > here a some more questions:
    >
    > 1. Does each printer require paper and ribbons, or whatever you call
    > them, from the same manufacturer? What happens if that manufacturer
    > discontinues them? Is there an after-market for them?

    Yes. You have a problem. Unlikely, if its not viable for the manufacturer,
    why for a 3rd party? No doubt they will produce supplies for a time
    afterwards. Best to figure you will only get 2 or 3 years and take it at
    that.

    > 2. What is the shelf life of the unused paper and ribbons. If I print 60
    > photos a year, it is a lot.

    FWIW, if you are (only) printing 1 a week, you might be better to spend more
    bucks on a premium printing service? Work out how much each print would cost
    if say, the printer last for 3 years, and you buy enough media for say 500
    pints (allowing for experiments, things gone wrong etc). Then work out what
    180 pictures would cost you. Big enough difference to justify printing at
    home? Or in reality, with a good printer, might you print more anyway, or is
    the convenience worth it?

    > 3. I have a Canon Powershot camera. Will I have a compatibility problem
    > using a Sony or some other printer?

    No. Think about it, these guys have a relatively small market anyway. If
    they restricted it just to their own cameras, there is no way it would be
    financially viable. What you might find is that printing from a Canon camera
    to a canon printer *might* be a bit easier.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
    Tumbleweed, Mar 30, 2005
  7. Jack Gillis

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >> Last weekend, I started this thread asking about using a Color Laser for
    >> printing photos. The responses, and I thank you all for them, suggested
    >> it would not be the best thing to do.
    >>
    >> Since then I have looked around and found the world of Dye Sublimation
    >> printers and now think what I would like to do is go ahead and buy a
    >> color laser for day to day printing and a dye sub such as the Canon,
    >> Kodak or Sony for occasional snapshop printing. So with that in mind,
    >> here a some more questions:
    >>
    >> 1. Does each printer require paper and ribbons, or whatever you call
    >> them, from the same manufacturer? What happens if that manufacturer
    >> discontinues them? Is there an after-market for them?

    > Yes. You have a problem. Unlikely, if its not viable for the manufacturer,
    > why for a 3rd party? No doubt they will produce supplies for a time
    > afterwards. Best to figure you will only get 2 or 3 years and take it at
    > that.
    >

    >> 2. What is the shelf life of the unused paper and ribbons. If I print 60
    >> photos a year, it is a lot.

    > FWIW, if you are (only) printing 1 a week, you might be better to spend
    > more bucks on a premium printing service? Work out how much each print
    > would cost if say, the printer last for 3 years, and you buy enough media
    > for say 500 pints (

    If you have 500 pints, you will have many failed prints :) ...take that as
    'prints' :)

    Tumbleweed, Mar 30, 2005
  8. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    > "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >> Last weekend, I started this thread asking about using a Color Laser
    >> for
    >> printing photos. The responses, and I thank you all for them,
    >> suggested
    >> it would not be the best thing to do.
    >>
    >> Since then I have looked around and found the world of Dye
    >> Sublimation
    >> printers and now think what I would like to do is go ahead and buy a
    >> color laser for day to day printing and a dye sub such as the Canon,
    >> Kodak or Sony for occasional snapshop printing. So with that in
    >> mind, here a some more questions:
    >>
    >> 1. Does each printer require paper and ribbons, or whatever you call
    >> them, from the same manufacturer? What happens if that manufacturer
    >> discontinues them? Is there an after-market for them?

    > Yes. You have a problem. Unlikely, if its not viable for the
    > manufacturer, why for a 3rd party? No doubt they will produce supplies
    > for a time afterwards. Best to figure you will only get 2 or 3 years
    > and take it at that.
    >

    >> 2. What is the shelf life of the unused paper and ribbons. If I
    >> print 60 photos a year, it is a lot.

    > FWIW, if you are (only) printing 1 a week, you might be better to
    > spend more bucks on a premium printing service? Work out how much each
    > print would cost if say, the printer last for 3 years, and you buy
    > enough media for say 500 pints (allowing for experiments, things gone
    > wrong etc). Then work out what 180 pictures would cost you. Big enough
    > difference to justify printing at home? Or in reality, with a good
    > printer, might you print more anyway, or is the convenience worth it?

    Thank you very much.
    That pretty well sums it up and the answer is a definite YES. When I
    want a print, I want it now or earlier. I wasn't worried so much about
    the cost of the expendables but more about the 'will the darned thing
    work' when I want it too without cleaning heads and/or buying new
    cartridges.

    Jack Gillis, Mar 30, 2005
  9. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    > "Tumbleweed" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message
    >>> Last weekend, I started this thread asking about using a Color Laser
    >>> for
    >>> printing photos. The responses, and I thank you all for them,
    >>> suggested
    >>> it would not be the best thing to do.
    >>>
    >>> Since then I have looked around and found the world of Dye
    >>> Sublimation
    >>> printers and now think what I would like to do is go ahead and buy a
    >>> color laser for day to day printing and a dye sub such as the
    >>> Canon, Kodak or Sony for occasional snapshop printing. So with
    >>> that in mind, here a some more questions:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Does each printer require paper and ribbons, or whatever you
    >>> call them, from the same manufacturer? What happens if that
    >>> manufacturer discontinues them? Is there an after-market for them?

    >> Yes. You have a problem. Unlikely, if its not viable for the
    >> manufacturer, why for a 3rd party? No doubt they will produce
    >> supplies for a time afterwards. Best to figure you will only get 2 or
    >> 3 years and take it at that.
    >>

    >>> 2. What is the shelf life of the unused paper and ribbons. If I
    >>> print 60 photos a year, it is a lot.

    >> FWIW, if you are (only) printing 1 a week, you might be better to
    >> spend more bucks on a premium printing service? Work out how much
    >> each print would cost if say, the printer last for 3 years, and you
    >> buy enough media for say 500 pints (

    > If you have 500 pints, you will have many failed prints :) ...take
    > that as 'prints' :)

    I like the first wording better :)

    Jack Gillis, Mar 30, 2005