ASUS WL-HDD Wireless Network Hard Drive Encryption problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Robbie, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

    I am using an ASUS WL-HDD wireless hard drive to back up to over a wireless
    network, the Belkin Mimo Router which does also work with 54g wireless
    devices.

    I have allready succeeded in using this device without any physical
    connection to the network at all, but with encryption disabled.

    I am familiar with normal setting up of encryption between wireless devices.
    I have tried Wep 64 and Wep 128.
    but as soon as I enable encryption the link is broken.

    Has anyone encountered this before with this device or a similar situation
    and have any ideas as to how I should troubleshoot this.

    Thank you for any advice in advance,

    Robbie

    Robbie, Oct 17, 2005

  2. "Robbie" <> wrote in message
    >I am using an ASUS WL-HDD wireless hard drive to back up to over a wireless
    >network, the Belkin Mimo Router which does also work with 54g wireless
    >devices.
    >
    > I have allready succeeded in using this device without any physical
    > connection to the network at all, but with encryption disabled.
    >
    > I am familiar with normal setting up of encryption between wireless
    > devices. I have tried Wep 64 and Wep 128.
    > but as soon as I enable encryption the link is broken.
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this before with this device or a similar situation
    > and have any ideas as to how I should troubleshoot this.
    >
    > Thank you for any advice in advance,
    >
    > Robbie

    Yep. I call it "cant see the forest for the trees". Let us say my password
    was 1234567890 and that is what I had on every NIC and the router. Checking
    every device and retyping the password did nothing. Eventually, when
    checking the router I found it was also OK and I was stuffed. Someone came
    up behind me and said "The router says 1234657890 - what is that for?" and
    there it was. I had transposed figures in the password and couldn't see it.

    My answer from that point on was - if it didn't work, don't argue, put the
    password in again at every point. Saves time.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Robbie

    TW Guest

    "Diamontina Cocktail" <> wrote in message

    > "Robbie" <> wrote in message
    >>I am using an ASUS WL-HDD wireless hard drive to back up to over a
    >>wireless network, the Belkin Mimo Router which does also work with 54g
    >>wireless devices.
    >>
    >> I have allready succeeded in using this device without any physical
    >> connection to the network at all, but with encryption disabled.
    >>
    >> I am familiar with normal setting up of encryption between wireless
    >> devices. I have tried Wep 64 and Wep 128.
    >> but as soon as I enable encryption the link is broken.
    >>
    >> Has anyone encountered this before with this device or a similar
    >> situation and have any ideas as to how I should troubleshoot this.
    >>
    >> Thank you for any advice in advance,
    >>
    >> Robbie
    >>

    > Yep. I call it "cant see the forest for the trees". Let us say my password
    > was 1234567890 and that is what I had on every NIC and the router.
    > Checking every device and retyping the password did nothing. Eventually,
    > when checking the router I found it was also OK and I was stuffed. Someone
    > came up behind me and said "The router says 1234657890 - what is that
    > for?" and there it was. I had transposed figures in the password and
    > couldn't see it.
    >
    > My answer from that point on was - if it didn't work, don't argue, put the
    > password in again at every point. Saves time.

    In addition to that look in the wireless properties and click the
    authentication tab, UNCHECK enable 802.1x authentication.

    TW, Oct 19, 2005