    Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of this
    year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs nearly twice
    as much as the cheapest Linux one."

    impossible, Mar 22, 2008

  2. On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 01:51:51 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143402-c,notebooks/article.html
    >
    > "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
    > Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
    > Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of
    > this year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs
    > nearly twice as much as the cheapest Linux one."

    Sheeple buy what they are familiar with.

    This fairly well explains the projected 3:2 sales difference.

    This is also why MACs have so little market penetration despite a huge
    marketing campaign in the USA.

    also there is a general perception that cheaper means inferior - which
    for the most part is true in a consumer-driven capitalist market.

    However, a difference of 3:2 is still considerably better sales of pre-
    installed Linux boxen than used to be even as little as one year ago; and
    that is all good news.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008

  3. impossible

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 22, 2:51 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143402-c,notebooks/article.html
    >
    > "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
    > Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
    > Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of this
    > year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs nearly twice
    > as much as the cheapest Linux one."

    Windows XP on the Eee costs an extra $NZ100 at Dick Smiths.

    The irony of this is actually delicious, since Microsoft plans to
    phase out XP - thy will have to keep XP going for the likes of Eee or
    concede that future Eee's will not run Microsoft.

    peterwn, Mar 22, 2008
  4. On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:54:10 -0700, peterwn wrote:

    > The irony of this is actually delicious, since Microsoft plans to phase
    > out XP - thy will have to keep XP going for the likes of Eee or concede
    > that future Eee's will not run Microsoft.

    I suspect that is why the next iteration of MS Windows will be much
    leaner and much less of a resource hog than the current grossly bloated
    MS WinNT6.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 01:51:51 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143402-c,notebooks/article.html
    >>
    >> "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
    >> Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of
    >> this year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs
    >> nearly twice as much as the cheapest Linux one."

    > Sheeple buy what they are familiar with.
    >
    > This fairly well explains the projected 3:2 sales difference.

    LOL. Your trolling partner Lawrence has been peddling the EEE here for
    months as...what did he call it?...oh, yeah, here it is: "the birth of an
    important new market category--one where Microsoft doesn't have a place."

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/b19eca6729883ba3

    With Linux in the box, all ASUS could do was market the EEE as a toy for
    children -- and disapppointing in-store sales by the world's largest
    retailer, Walmart, were a clear sign that this wouldn't be a big enough
    market for ASUS to meet its sales goal. It expects to unload only about 2
    million of those Linux boxes now. By adding Windows, and beefing up the
    memory/storage specs, ASUS is gambling now that it can make the EEE
    attractive to a more demanding adult market.

    Myself, I'm not convinced that the awkward EEE -- too little to be really
    all that useful, and too big to be really all that handy -- is what lpeople
    are really going to go for, Windows or no Windows. But it'll be interesting
    now to see how other manufacturers adapt.

    > This is also why MACs have so little market penetration despite a huge
    > marketing campaign in the USA.

    MACs have a level of market penetration that Linux developers drool over. In
    the year it will take ASUS to unload 2 million Linux-based EEE's worldwidse,
    Apple will have sold about 8 million OSX-based Macs. And instead of having
    children playing with the Linux EEEs who generate next-to-nothing in demand
    for added software/hardware services, the MAC's typically more spohisticated
    and tech-saavy customers make a regular habit of generating a fortune in
    after-market purchases.

    > also there is a general perception that cheaper means inferior - which
    > for the most part is true in a consumer-driven capitalist market.

    Yes, there's that. And it doesn't help that so many COLA trolls have
    tuirning bottom-feeding into a marketing strategy.

    > However, a difference of 3:2 is still considerably better sales of pre-
    > installed Linux boxen than used to be even as little as one year ago; and
    > that is all good news.

    With a 5-month head start in sales of Linux-based EEE's, that sounds about
    right. The way Lawrence told the story many a time, Linux-based EE's were
    supposed to be selling at the rate of 1 every 6 seconds, which would place
    total Linux EEE sales now at about.....hmmm... 10 per minute, 600 per hour,
    14400 per day, for 150 days = well, you can do the math and check, but even
    allowing for the standard 30% Lawrence D'Oliveiro Exaggeration Factor, it's
    looking to me as if Asus expects Windows EEE's to oursell Linux EE's in
    head-to-head compeitition by a ratio of at **least** 3:1.

    impossible, Mar 22, 2008
  6. impossible

    Bobs Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 2:51 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143402-c,notebooks/article.html
    >>
    >> "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
    >> Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of this
    >> year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs nearly twice
    >> as much as the cheapest Linux one."

    > Windows XP on the Eee costs an extra $NZ100 at Dick Smiths.
    >
    > The irony of this is actually delicious, since Microsoft plans to
    > phase out XP - thy will have to keep XP going for the likes of Eee or
    > concede that future Eee's will not run Microsoft.

    I don't know why they plan to phase out XP anyway. With SP2, it's a very
    good operating system and doesn't need high end hardware to run. Ideal
    for ultra portable laptops.

    Bobs, Mar 22, 2008
  7. On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:47:47 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > Myself, I'm not convinced that the awkward EEE -- too little to be
    > really all that useful, and too big to be really all that handy -- is
    > what lpeople are really going to go for, Windows or no Windows. But
    > it'll be interesting now to see how other manufacturers adapt.

    I'm looking for a "laptop" computer that is compact enough to fit inside
    a jacket pocket.

    For what I'd want a laptop for most of them are simply too big to be
    really convenient.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  8. On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:57:47 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > I don't know why they plan to phase out XP anyway. With SP2, it's a very
    > good operating system and doesn't need high end hardware to run. Ideal
    > for ultra portable laptops.

    Because it's the previous iteration of M$ WindowsNT and now nearly 7
    years since it was released!

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  9. impossible

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:47:47 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote in
    >> message >>

    >>> Sheeple buy what they are familiar with.
    >>>
    >>> This fairly well explains the projected 3:2 sales difference.
    >>>

    >> LOL. Your trolling partner Lawrence has been peddling the EEE here for
    >> months as...what did he call it?...oh, yeah, here it is: "the birth of
    >> an
    >> important new market category--one where Microsoft doesn't have a place."
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/b19eca6729883ba3
    >>
    >> With Linux in the box, all ASUS could do was market the EEE as a toy for
    >> children -- and disapppointing in-store sales by the world's largest
    >> retailer, Walmart, were a clear sign that this wouldn't be a big enough
    >> market for ASUS to meet its sales goal. It expects to unload only about
    >> 2
    >> million of those Linux boxes now. By adding Windows, and beefing up the
    >> memory/storage specs, ASUS is gambling now that it can make the EEE
    >> attractive to a more demanding adult market.
    >>
    >> Myself, I'm not convinced that the awkward EEE -- too little to be
    >> really all that useful, and too big to be really all that handy -- is
    >> what lpeople are really going to go for, Windows or no Windows. But
    >> it'll be interesting now to see how other manufacturers adapt.

    > I'm looking for a "laptop" computer that is compact enough to fit inside
    > a jacket pocket.
    >
    > For what I'd want a laptop for most of them are simply too big to be
    > really convenient.

    If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you. But ASUS at
    least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile mass market can't
    be done without Windows.

    impossible, Mar 22, 2008
  10. impossible

    Bobs Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:57:47 +1300, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know why they plan to phase out XP anyway. With SP2, it's a very
    >> good operating system and doesn't need high end hardware to run. Ideal
    >> for ultra portable laptops.

    > Because it's the previous iteration of M$ WindowsNT and now nearly 7
    > years since it was released!

    So what? If it still has a niche in the market place, why not keep
    selling it?

    Bobs, Mar 22, 2008
  11. impossible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:

    > trolls

    Apparently you enjoy their company as you're all I see in this thread.

    Time to fix that.

    <plonk>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 22, 2008
  12. Re: Asus: Linux Eee will outsell Dimdows Eee

    In article <>, Bobs did write:

    > Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
    >
    >> Because it's ... now nearly 7 years since [Dimdows XP] was released!

    > So what? If it still has a niche in the market place, why not keep
    > selling it?

    Because it takes an army of programmers to continue putting out patches for
    it--programmers that Microsoft can ill afford to take away from Vista. Even
    the largest software company in the world doesn't have enough programmers
    to continue supporting two such complex systems.

    Can you say "non-scalable closed-source support burden"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 22, 2008
  13. On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:38:20 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > So what? If it still has a niche in the market place, why not keep
    > selling it?

    Perhaps you could say the same thing about MS Windows 3.11?

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  14. On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:49:16 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you. But ASUS at
    > least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile mass market
    > can't be done without Windows.

    Cite please!

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  15. impossible

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:49:16 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote in
    >> message

    >>> I'm looking for a "laptop" computer that is compact enough to fit inside
    >>> a jacket pocket.
    >>>
    >>> For what I'd want a laptop for most of them are simply too big to be
    >>> really convenient.
    >>>

    >> If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you. But ASUS at
    >> least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile mass market
    >> can't
    >> be done without Windows.
    >>

    > Cite please!

    See above-- and stop selectively editing my posts, you weasel.

    impossible, Mar 22, 2008
  16. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "impossible" typed:
    >
    >> trolls

    > Apparently you enjoy their company as you're all I see in this thread.
    >
    > Time to fix that.
    >
    > <plonk>
    > --

    I'm hopeful, because you've turned into quite the off-topic stalker. But
    plonkers like you rarely keep their word.

    impossible, Mar 22, 2008
  17. impossible

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:49:16 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you.

    There is nothing limited about Linux powered models. There are
    applications available to suit anybody. The problem isn't lack of
    applications, but unfamiliarity with Linux. Fear of the unknown is a very
    strong factor in decision making of any sort.

    But ASUS at
    > least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile mass market
    > can't be done without Windows.

    You are working on an unproven assumption that the market for Linux
    powered EEEs is already saturated. I'd think Asus are just covering as
    many bases as feasible. If they could they would probably sell a version
    loaded with OSX.

    --
    Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
    Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz

    Rob Simpson, Mar 22, 2008
  18. On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:08:27 +0000, impossible wrote:

    >>> If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you. But ASUS
    >>> at least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile mass
    >>> market can't be done without Windows.

    >> Cite please!

    > See above-- and stop selectively editing my posts, you weasel.

    Cite please!!

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  19. On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:43:41 +1300, Rob Simpson wrote:

    >> If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you.

    > There is nothing limited about Linux powered models. There are
    > applications available to suit anybody. The problem isn't lack of
    > applications, but unfamiliarity with Linux. Fear of the unknown is a
    > very strong factor in decision making of any sort.

    Yup - especially for the computer-illiterate.

    >> But ASUS at least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile
    >> mass market can't be done without Windows.

    > You are working on an unproven assumption that the market for Linux
    > powered EEEs is already saturated. I'd think Asus are just covering as
    > many bases as feasible. If they could they would probably sell a version
    > loaded with OSX.

    Again yup. Asus is in the business of selling hardware, not developing
    operating systems. It will use whatever operating system it can to sell
    as much hardware as it can.

    Interesting that it had to beef up the hardware specifications in order
    to put M$ Window$XP on it.

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 22, 2008
  20. Re: Asus: Linux Eee will outsell Dimdows Eee

    In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > Asus is in the business of selling hardware, not developing
    > operating systems.

    It's worth pointing out that Asus did do some customization of the
    preinstalled Xandros distro, including creating the "simplified"
    icons-in-tabs interface that comes up by default. And the unionfs
    filesystem setup, custom drivers, setting up their own update repositories
    etc.

    But this didn't involve creating an operating system from scratch. So they
    didn't need an army of programmers to do it, just a small, suitably-skilled
    team. This points up the scalable nature of open-source development, that
    it's something that anybody can contribute to, without it having to be
    their core business.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 22, 2008