    people have the same problem but asus have nothing in there tech
    support.

    dicks.

    Sir To You, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Sir To You

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:01:26 -0800 (PST), Sir To You
    <> wrote:

    >Asus are a good size company right?
    >
    >Then, why is there website so bad.
    >
    >I cannot update the firmware for my sata asus dvd drive. Seems lots of
    >people have the same problem but asus have nothing in there tech
    >support.
    >
    >dicks.

    I have to agree with that, a pretty poor job for a company of their
    reputation and position.

    However, under the 'Download' this is what you are looking for:
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    Nighthawk, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Sir To You wrote:
    > Asus are a good size company right?
    >
    > Then, why is there website so bad.
    >
    > I cannot update the firmware for my sata asus dvd drive. Seems lots of
    > people have the same problem but asus have nothing in there tech
    > support.
    >
    > dicks.

    I must agree, their site & support is abysmal.

    I have had more luck finding drivers etc. by searching usenet groups to
    find links to files on THEIR site, while searching ON THEIR site shows
    no results!
    Their forums are FULL of unanswered questions.
    Needless to say, this will stop me from buying any more of their
    hardware (which I have been pretty pleased with actually).

    dilberts_left_nut, Feb 19, 2008
  4. In article <>, dilberts_left_nut did write:

    > I have had more luck finding drivers etc. by searching usenet groups to
    > find links to files on THEIR site, while searching ON THEIR site shows
    > no results!

    You can use Google to do site-specific searches.

    > Needless to say, this will stop me from buying any more of their
    > hardware (which I have been pretty pleased with actually).

    The Asus DRW-1814BLT has been on PC Authority's A-list for what seems an
    amazingly long time.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 19, 2008
  5. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Feb 19, 7:56 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In article <>, dilberts_left_nut did write:
    >
    > > I have had more luck finding drivers etc. by searching usenet groups to
    > > find links to files on THEIR site, while searching ON THEIR site shows
    > > no results!

    > You can use Google to do site-specific searches.
    >
    > > Needless to say, this will stop me from buying any more of their
    > > hardware (which I have been pretty pleased with actually).

    > The Asus DRW-1814BLT has been on PC Authority's A-list for what seems an
    > amazingly long time.

    I bought the asus 2014lt dvd drive.

    Trying to update the firmware from my vista machine, "Get Drive
    Modelname error".

    Some guy posted some solution on the asus forum but doesn't work for
    me. (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?
    id=20070724195926453&board_id=2&model=DRW-1814BLT&page=1&SLanguage=en-
    us)

    Then, on the asus support page, it has a link to show suppot topic for
    my drive...click it, and it is an empty list. I hate empty lists.

    Sir To You, Feb 19, 2008
  6. Sir To You

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:54:47 -0800, Sir To You propped his eyelids open
    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Feb 19, 7:56 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In article <>, dilberts_left_nut did write:
    >>
    >> > I have had more luck finding drivers etc. by searching usenet groups
    >> > to find links to files on THEIR site, while searching ON THEIR site
    >> > shows no results!

    >> You can use Google to do site-specific searches.
    >>
    >> > Needless to say, this will stop me from buying any more of their
    >> > hardware (which I have been pretty pleased with actually).

    >> The Asus DRW-1814BLT has been on PC Authority's A-list for what seems
    >> an amazingly long time.

    > I bought the asus 2014lt dvd drive.
    >
    > Trying to update the firmware from my vista machine, "Get Drive
    > Modelname error".
    >
    > Some guy posted some solution on the asus forum but doesn't work for me.
    > (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?
    > id=20070724195926453&board_id=2&model=DRW-1814BLT&page=1&SLanguage=en-
    > us)
    >
    > Then, on the asus support page, it has a link to show support topic for
    > my drive...click it, and it is an empty list. I hate empty lists.

    I just registered my 1814BL then I was dropped back to my home page, from
    where I clicked on the model number that I had just registered and I went
    straight to a firmware download page. Downloaded no trouble. I haven't
    found the Asus site that hard to navigate on the few times I've needed
    to. Registering probably makes it easier.

    --

    Rob
    Entropy isn't what it used to be.

    Rob Simpson, Feb 19, 2008
  7. Sir To You

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rob Simpson" typed:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:54:47 -0800, Sir To You propped his eyelids
    > open with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 19, 7:56 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>> In article <>, dilberts_left_nut did write:

    >>> You can use Google to do site-specific searches.

    >>> The Asus DRW-1814BLT has been on PC Authority's A-list for what
    >>> seems an amazingly long time.

    >> I bought the asus 2014lt dvd drive.
    >>
    >> Trying to update the firmware from my vista machine, "Get Drive
    >> Modelname error".
    >>
    >> Some guy posted some solution on the asus forum but doesn't work for
    >> me. (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?
    >> id=20070724195926453&board_id=2&model=DRW-1814BLT&page=1&SLanguage=en-
    >> us)
    >>
    >> Then, on the asus support page, it has a link to show support topic
    >> for my drive...click it, and it is an empty list. I hate empty
    >> lists.

    > I just registered my 1814BL then I was dropped back to my home page,
    > from where I clicked on the model number that I had just registered
    > and I went straight to a firmware download page. Downloaded no
    > trouble. I haven't found the Asus site that hard to navigate on the
    > few times I've needed to. Registering probably makes it easier.

    I agree. The Asus site *is* slow. Always has been, probably always will be.
    It seems like one of life's constants. Anyone who's read any of the Asus
    hardware groups will be aware of that.

    I have my Asus stuff registered with them and find that it's heaps easy to
    find updates for it. Their gear is far too good to forego simply because the
    website is slow IMO. (That said, my SATA DVD-RW is a Pioneer DVR-212. My
    last two mobo purchases have been Asus though.)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 20, 2008
  8. Sir To You

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:54:47 -0800 (PST), Sir To You
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 19, 7:56 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In article <>, dilberts_left_nut did write:
    >>
    >> > I have had more luck finding drivers etc. by searching usenet groups to
    >> > find links to files on THEIR site, while searching ON THEIR site shows
    >> > no results!

    >> You can use Google to do site-specific searches.
    >>
    >> > Needless to say, this will stop me from buying any more of their
    >> > hardware (which I have been pretty pleased with actually).

    >> The Asus DRW-1814BLT has been on PC Authority's A-list for what seems an
    >> amazingly long time.

    >I bought the asus 2014lt dvd drive.
    >
    >Trying to update the firmware from my vista machine, "Get Drive
    >Modelname error".
    >
    >Some guy posted some solution on the asus forum but doesn't work for
    >me. (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?
    >id=20070724195926453&board_id=2&model=DRW-1814BLT&page=1&SLanguage=en-
    >us)
    >
    >Then, on the asus support page, it has a link to show suppot topic for
    >my drive...click it, and it is an empty list. I hate empty lists.

    Are you sure of the model number - 2014LT instead of 2014L1T? I can't
    find the former, but there is firmware for the latter at
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ODD/DVD-RW/DRW-2014L1T/DRW-2014L1T_102.zip
    XP 32-bit, found from this page:
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    OR
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=DRW-2014L1T

    Nighthawk, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Feb 20, 3:43 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:54:47 -0800 (PST), Sir To You
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Feb 19, 7:56 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > >central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> In article <>, dilberts_left_nut did write:

    > >> You can use Google to do site-specific searches.

    > >> The Asus DRW-1814BLT has been on PC Authority's A-list for what seems an
    > >> amazingly long time.

    > >I bought the asus 2014lt dvd drive.

    > >Trying to update the firmware from my vista machine, "Get Drive
    > >Modelname error".

    > >Some guy posted some solution on the asus forum but doesn't work for
    > >me. (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?
    > >id=20070724195926453&board_id=2&model=DRW-1814BLT&page=1&SLanguage=en-
    > >us)

    > >Then, on the asus support page, it has a link to show suppot topic for
    > >my drive...click  it, and it is an empty list. I hate empty lists.

    > Are you sure of the model number - 2014LT instead of 2014L1T?  I can't
    > find the former, but there is firmware for the latter athttp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ODD/DVD-RW/DRW-2014L1T/DRW-2014L1T_1...
    > XP 32-bit, found from this page:http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    > ORhttp://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=...- Hide quoted text -

    ah, yes, typo by me .

    I did get that firmware. (except the vista version). Doesn't work, i
    get a model name error. Don't know why, i have asus motherboard, asus
    dvd, and vista. All would seem right. Oh well.

    Sir To You, Feb 20, 2008
  10. Sir To You

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), Sir To You
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 20, 3:43 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:54:47 -0800 (PST), Sir To You
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> >I bought the asus 2014lt dvd drive.

    >> >Trying to update the firmware from my vista machine, "Get Drive
    >> >Modelname error".

    >> >Some guy posted some solution on the asus forum but doesn't work for
    >> >me. (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?
    >> >id=20070724195926453&board_id=2&model=DRW-1814BLT&page=1&SLanguage=en-
    >> >us)

    >> >Then, on the asus support page, it has a link to show suppot topic for
    >> >my drive...click  it, and it is an empty list. I hate empty lists.

    >> Are you sure of the model number - 2014LT instead of 2014L1T?  I can't
    >> find the former, but there is firmware for the latter athttp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ODD/DVD-RW/DRW-2014L1T/DRW-2014L1T_1...
    >> XP 32-bit, found from this page:http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    >> ORhttp://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=...- Hide quoted text -

    >ah, yes, typo by me .
    >
    >I did get that firmware. (except the vista version). Doesn't work, i
    >get a model name error. Don't know why, i have asus motherboard, asus
    >dvd, and vista. All would seem right. Oh well.

    If it is just firmware I wonder why it has to be OS-specific? Why
    wouldn't the 32-bit XP version do the same job?

    Nighthawk, Feb 20, 2008
  11. Sir To You

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), Sir To You
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 20, 3:43 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >>> Are you sure of the model number - 2014LT instead of 2014L1T? I
    >>> can't
    >>> find the former, but there is firmware for the latter
    >>> athttp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/ODD/DVD-RW/DRW-2014L1T/DRW-2014L1T_1...
    >>> XP 32-bit, found from this
    >>> page:http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    >>> ORhttp://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=...-

    >> ah, yes, typo by me .
    >>
    >> I did get that firmware. (except the vista version). Doesn't work, i
    >> get a model name error. Don't know why, i have asus motherboard, asus
    >> dvd, and vista. All would seem right. Oh well.

    > If it is just firmware I wonder why it has to be OS-specific? Why
    > wouldn't the 32-bit XP version do the same job?

    It's not the firmware that's the problem usually, it's the firmware
    *updater* utility that's OS-specific.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 20, 2008
  12. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Sir To You exclaimed:
    > Asus are a good size company right?
    >
    > Then, why is there website so bad.
    >
    > I cannot update the firmware for my sata asus dvd drive. Seems lots of
    > people have the same problem but asus have nothing in there tech
    > support.

    Seems to be "asian technology firm" disease. Most of
    them fill their site up with marketing and gratuitous
    flash. Especially Korean sites. Asus products are good
    though.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and