ASUS PCI card and Linksys Router - incompatable???

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ritter 197, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    My daughter has Cable modem which works pretty fast. She has 2 computers, 1
    is hardwired to the router Linksys WRT54G V8 (very new) and the other
    desktop is about 15 feet away with open doors that uses the wireless ASUS
    PCI
    card WL-138G V2 (also very new).

    There are no concrete walls, no metal screens, no other hardware that could
    interfere.

    I saw her this afternoon and watched how SLOW the download of any internet
    page is on the wireless desktop. Sometimes dropping to 1 KB /sec., whereas
    the hardwired desktop is instantaneous.

    She has tried another router (a Netgear) and another (same model) PCI card
    by ASUS with same results.

    Both computers are running windows XP and are in the 2.6GHZ range with 1 GB
    of RAM.

    Sometimes, the wireless computer says "loaded with some errors" but never
    says what the errors are and the web page does seem to load fine (MSN.COM)
    and one can go from there to hyperlinks, but again, very slow.

    What can possibly be the problem?
    Ritter 197, Jan 17, 2008

  2. Hi
    Check were the Antenna is. If it is stuck behind the tower and the wall low
    and close to the floor the signal could be blocked.
    Try the Computer in the same room few feet away from the Router., if it does
    not do well it is probably Hardware problem
    As far as Windows go try this, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    BTW. New is Not always better ;)
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 17, 2008

  3. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    Thanks, I have forwarded your suggestion to my daughter.

    Ritter 197, Jan 17, 2008
  4. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    I forgot to mention:

    Antenna is not stuck behind any wall, it is a PCI card and that is obviously
    inside the computer and low to the hardwood floor, but that is how ALL cards
    are inside a desktop.

    It is not easy to move computer and monitor from the oppositer room to the
    one where the router is. But - maybe as a last resort, I will help her, when
    I am there again.

    Ritter 197, Jan 17, 2008
  5. Ritter 197

    Ken Triebold Guest

    Ritter, your PCI card has to have some kind of antenna on it. Normally the
    antenna is attached to the card but sticks out the rear of the computer to
    the outside world. Another type of wireless PCI card has a remote antenna
    that you can place on top of the computer case and is connected to the card
    with a cable. If your wireless card is not one of the two types that I
    described, then the antenna must be integral with the PCI card itself and
    therefore located inside of the computer. This would be a very bad situation
    for sending/receiving a wireless signal. Exactly what type of antenna do you
    have?

    Ken Triebold, Jan 17, 2008
  6. Ritter 197

    Lem Guest

    Ritter 197 wrote:
    > I forgot to mention:
    >
    > Antenna is not stuck behind any wall, it is a PCI card and that is
    > obviously inside the computer and low to the hardwood floor, but that is
    > how ALL cards are inside a desktop.
    >
    > It is not easy to move computer and monitor from the oppositer room to
    > the one where the router is. But - maybe as a last resort, I will help
    > her, when I am there again.

    >> Hi
    >> Check were the Antenna is. If it is stuck behind the tower and the
    >> wall low and close to the floor the signal could be blocked.
    >> Try the Computer in the same room few feet away from the Router., if
    >> it does not do well it is probably Hardware problem
    >> As far as Windows go try this, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    >> BTW. New is Not always better ;)
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    >>> My daughter has Cable modem which works pretty fast. She has 2
    >>> computers, 1
    >>> is hardwired to the router Linksys WRT54G V8 (very new) and the other
    >>> desktop is about 15 feet away with open doors that uses the wireless
    >>> ASUS PCI
    >>> card WL-138G V2 (also very new).
    >>>
    >>> There are no concrete walls, no metal screens, no other hardware that
    >>> could
    >>> interfere.
    >>>
    >>> I saw her this afternoon and watched how SLOW the download of any
    >>> internet
    >>> page is on the wireless desktop. Sometimes dropping to 1 KB /sec.,
    >>> whereas
    >>> the hardwired desktop is instantaneous.
    >>>
    >>> She has tried another router (a Netgear) and another (same model) PCI
    >>> card
    >>> by ASUS with same results.
    >>>
    >>> Both computers are running windows XP and are in the 2.6GHZ range
    >>> with 1 GB
    >>> of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes, the wireless computer says "loaded with some errors" but
    >>> never
    >>> says what the errors are and the web page does seem to load fine
    >>> (MSN.COM)
    >>> and one can go from there to hyperlinks, but again, very slow.
    >>>
    >>> What can possibly be the problem?

    The pci card obviously is inside the computer case, but the antenna is
    almost certainly on the outside. See if you can detach the antenna from
    the card (or list the make/model of the card). If it's detachable, you
    can get an extension cable (without or without a high-gain antenna).

    You'll have to identify the connector type on the back of the pci card
    in order to get the correct cable. Here, for example, is what Linksys
    sells for use with their pci wifi cards (there are lots of different
    wifi antenna vendors, this is just an example): http://tinyurl.com/3y6hg8

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 17, 2008
  7. Ritter 197

    Lem Guest

    Ritter 197 wrote:
    > I forgot to mention:
    >
    > Antenna is not stuck behind any wall, it is a PCI card and that is
    > obviously inside the computer and low to the hardwood floor, but that is
    > how ALL cards are inside a desktop.
    >
    > It is not easy to move computer and monitor from the oppositer room to
    > the one where the router is. But - maybe as a last resort, I will help
    > her, when I am there again.

    >> Hi
    >> Check were the Antenna is. If it is stuck behind the tower and the
    >> wall low and close to the floor the signal could be blocked.
    >> Try the Computer in the same room few feet away from the Router., if
    >> it does not do well it is probably Hardware problem
    >> As far as Windows go try this, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    >> BTW. New is Not always better ;)
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Ritter 197" <> wrote in message
    >>> My daughter has Cable modem which works pretty fast. She has 2
    >>> computers, 1
    >>> is hardwired to the router Linksys WRT54G V8 (very new) and the other
    >>> desktop is about 15 feet away with open doors that uses the wireless
    >>> ASUS PCI
    >>> card WL-138G V2 (also very new).
    >>>
    >>> There are no concrete walls, no metal screens, no other hardware that
    >>> could
    >>> interfere.
    >>>
    >>> I saw her this afternoon and watched how SLOW the download of any
    >>> internet
    >>> page is on the wireless desktop. Sometimes dropping to 1 KB /sec.,
    >>> whereas
    >>> the hardwired desktop is instantaneous.
    >>>
    >>> She has tried another router (a Netgear) and another (same model) PCI
    >>> card
    >>> by ASUS with same results.
    >>>
    >>> Both computers are running windows XP and are in the 2.6GHZ range
    >>> with 1 GB
    >>> of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes, the wireless computer says "loaded with some errors" but
    >>> never
    >>> says what the errors are and the web page does seem to load fine
    >>> (MSN.COM)
    >>> and one can go from there to hyperlinks, but again, very slow.
    >>>
    >>> What can possibly be the problem?

    Sorry, I didn't read your original post carefully. Your ASUS WL-138G V2
    pci wifi adapter does indeed have a detachable external antenna:
    "Reverse connector (RP-SMA) with a detachable antenna"

    If you wanted, you could use the Linksys part I linked in my earlier
    email, although you probably can find cheaper extension cables (with or
    without a stand) by using Google.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 17, 2008
  8. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    The antenna is OUTSIDE and sticks up.

    Ritter 197, Jan 17, 2008
  9. Ritter 197

    Ritter 197 Guest

    This is the card by ASUS:
    ASUS PCI
    card WL-138G V2

    Ritter 197, Jan 17, 2008
  10. Ritter 197

    qw3rty

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Same problem

    I have the exact same problem with this same card. The speed is less than 1K/sec. I tried it in another computer and it works fine. On the computer that it doesn't work on I tried three different OSs; OSX, Linux, and XP. The speed was the same in all of them. I moved the router inches from the computer and it was still slow. I tried 3 different routers.

    So this is obviously a hardware problem. But the computer is working fine otherwise. I can't figure out why this card won't work on this one computer.

    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
    qw3rty, Mar 7, 2008
  11. Ritter 197