    positions and do not think any memory bank is faulty. I use a Q9450
    2.66GHz. All works well but would like to know why it fails to report full
    installed memmory. Could it be a timing problem?

    Pehr Sjöstrand, Feb 7, 2010

  2. Pehr Sjöstrand

    RCan Guest

    ?Re: ASUS P5Q does reports 6 GB of memory instead of 8 GB installed. Win 7 64 bit

    Hi Pehr,

    any events in system eventlog ?
    Interesting is here, that the OS did read the 2nd RAM modul but only for
    half ? Is these ECC memory ?
    If nothing is reported in Eventlog you can run an Windows Memory Checker
    (http://www.chip.de/downloads/Windows-Memory-Diagnostic-1.0_13009861.html)

    Regards
    Ramazan

    RCan, Feb 7, 2010

  3. Re: ASUS P5Q does reports 6 GB of memory instead of 8 GB installed.Win 7 64 bit

    Check your BIOS to ensure the Memory Hole Remap is enabled. Or,
    sometimes you have to reduce the clock speed of the RAM.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 7, 2010
  4. Pehr Sjöstrand

    Carlos Guest

    RE: ASUS P5Q does reports 6 GB of memory instead of 8 GB installed. Wi

    Hi,
    For a full diagnosis download, unzip and run (no setup required) CPU-Z
    http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz64_153.zip
    Now go to the Memory tab.
    - What size do you read in the "General" section?
    That should be 8GB in your system.
    Now go to the SPD tab.
    - Select each of the memory slots (Slot #1, Slot #2, etc.) while watching
    "Module Size".
    - Are all your modules there, reported with the same size?
    - Are all your modules reported as equal?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 7, 2010
  5. Pehr Sjöstrand

    Kue2 Guest

    SIW will also report your ram, and it's free for home use.
    It will tell you almost everything about your system, and it's free for home
    use.

    http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

    Kue2, Feb 7, 2010
  6. Pehr Sjöstrand

    Jim Guest

    Re: ASUS P5Q does reports 6 GB of memory instead of 8 GB installed.Win 7 64 bit

    > > I installed 8GB of memory on the motherboard P5Q but Windows 7 64 bit
    > > reports only 6GB. I have 4 DDR2 2GB boards installed.

    X58 chipset motherboards are *noted* for having problems detecting all
    the memory that is installed. I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    motherboard, and the first one I had did not detect all the memory. I
    tried *everything,* but nothing would help. Finally I RMAed the
    board for a new board, and the new board now has 12 GB of memory
    showing up flawlessly. I would watch those X58 chipset boards.

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 8, 2010
  7. This isn't an X58 mobo. The X58 mobos are all "P6" something from Asus.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2010