Asus P5K motherboard

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Oct 26, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    What do people think of this as value for money?

    things I like

    1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
    2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
    boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
    3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
    least two.....
    4) has e-sata
    5) Ext firewire....
    6) 4 memory slots
    7) It is sanely priced....

    Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 26, 2007

  2. thingy

    XPD Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > What do people think of this as value for money?
    >
    > things I like
    >
    > 1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
    > 2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
    > boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
    > 3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
    > least two.....
    > 4) has e-sata
    > 5) Ext firewire....
    > 6) 4 memory slots
    > 7) It is sanely priced....
    >
    > Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

    P5K range are good, but be wary of earlier BIOS versions as they have issues
    with newer CPUs until theyre flashed.
    If youre paying $220 for the "basic" P5K then youre getting ripped.

    Asustek P5K Intel P35 ATX $154.00 inc GST
    (I havent looked at all the models so maybe youre looking the the Wifi
    version or something)

    XPD, Oct 26, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> What do people think of this as value for money?
    >>
    >> things I like
    >>
    >> 1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
    >> 2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
    >> boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
    >> 3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
    >> least two.....
    >> 4) has e-sata
    >> 5) Ext firewire....
    >> 6) 4 memory slots
    >> 7) It is sanely priced....
    >>
    >> Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

    > P5K range are good, but be wary of earlier BIOS versions as they have issues
    > with newer CPUs until theyre flashed.
    > If youre paying $220 for the "basic" P5K then youre getting ripped.
    >
    > Asustek P5K Intel P35 ATX $154.00 inc GST
    > (I havent looked at all the models so maybe youre looking the the Wifi
    > version or something)

    There seems to be a "basic" p5k at around $150, this one has a third pci
    slot and e-sata and firewire....hence $60 more....all of which I need
    (3pci and fwire) or would like (e-sata).

    I'd like a second e-sata but thats the top p5k at $400....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 28, 2007
  4. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>> What do people think of this as value for money?
    >>>
    >>> things I like
    >>>
    >>> 1) It has a full 16x Pci-e
    >>> 2) A 1 or 4 x PCI-e, most external raid, NICs etc want 4 x pci-e, so
    >>> boards with 1 x pic-e are plain naff IMHO....
    >>> 3) 3 x PCI, as I have scsi raid, and a pci based sound card, I need at
    >>> least two.....
    >>> 4) has e-sata
    >>> 5) Ext firewire....
    >>> 6) 4 memory slots
    >>> 7) It is sanely priced....
    >>>
    >>> Anything else out there for around $220 that has these "goodies"....

    >> P5K range are good, but be wary of earlier BIOS versions as they have
    >> issues with newer CPUs until theyre flashed.
    >> If youre paying $220 for the "basic" P5K then youre getting ripped.
    >>
    >> Asustek P5K Intel P35 ATX $154.00 inc GST
    >> (I havent looked at all the models so maybe youre looking the the Wifi
    >> version or something)
    >>

    > There seems to be a "basic" p5k at around $150, this one has a third pci
    > slot and e-sata and firewire....hence $60 more....all of which I need
    > (3pci and fwire) or would like (e-sata).
    >
    > I'd like a second e-sata but thats the top p5k at $400....

    I just noticed this in passing in an August 2007 box-building guide:

    "P35-based boards from Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, Abit, MSI, and all the major
    name brands look good, with Asus' P5K line being well-known for both
    excellent overclocking and high power consumption."

    http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200708.ars/3

    If that bit about high power consumption raises any concerns, you might want
    to investigate further.

    impossible, Oct 31, 2007