    computer might have been fried, either way I'm curious as to the beep code.

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Steiner, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Adam Steiner

    Plato Guest

    Adam Steiner wrote:

    > Furthermore, the computer, when turned on, makes a siren wailing sound.

    Generally means overheating cpu. Assuming the bios has been set properly
    as to NOT give a warning on "standard" cpu operating temps.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Adam Steiner wrote:
    > >
    > > Furthermore, the computer, when turned on, makes a siren wailing sound.

    > Generally means overheating cpu. Assuming the bios has been set properly
    > as to NOT give a warning on "standard" cpu operating temps.

    Thanks. The CPU seems to be on normally and the CPU fan is operating...any
    ideas why it might suddenly be overheating?
    Adam Steiner, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Adam Steiner

    Plato Guest

    Adam Steiner wrote:

    > > > Furthermore, the computer, when turned on, makes a siren wailing sound.

    > > Generally means overheating cpu. Assuming the bios has been set properly
    > > as to NOT give a warning on "standard" cpu operating temps.
    > >

    > Thanks. The CPU seems to be on normally and the CPU fan is operating...any
    > ideas why it might suddenly be overheating?

    What do the temps say in the bios?
    Plato, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Adam Steiner

    Plato Guest

    > Thanks. The CPU seems to be on normally and the CPU fan is operating...any
    > ideas why it might suddenly be overheating?

    ps realize I'm just guessing here, but just because you see the fan
    operating normally doesn't mean the fansink is making proper contact
    with the middle of the cpu/ there are some fansinks I've used that I had
    to bend the "holders" a tad to make it contact the cpu correctly eg to
    make it mount flat against the cpu
    Plato, Apr 16, 2004
  6. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. The CPU seems to be on normally and the CPU fan is

    operating...any
    > > ideas why it might suddenly be overheating?

    > ps realize I'm just guessing here, but just because you see the fan
    > operating normally doesn't mean the fansink is making proper contact
    > with the middle of the cpu/ there are some fansinks I've used that I had
    > to bend the "holders" a tad to make it contact the cpu correctly eg to
    > make it mount flat against the cpu

    I'll give it a shot and fiddle around with it. I can't even get into the
    BIOS to see what temps are being recorded. It all seems very fishy. He
    said he plugged it in, thought something went and it stopped working. Maybe
    a sensor was ruined. I'll play with the fan and see what I can do.
    Thanks.
    --Adam
    Adam Steiner, Apr 16, 2004