    though it takes a little longer to start up some programs wen I press the
    Iconss in XP pro, as when I had win 98 I was able to start up faster.. Can
    anyone tell me about this asus ???Thanks in advance

    Tommy, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Tommy

    Jerry G. Guest

    You will have to change all the rams to be exactly matched for speed. The
    best combination would probably be 3 X 128 in your case. If you are using
    Win 98 or Win 95, or ME, you should not exceed 256 mb of ram, if you want to
    have peak performance. I think there was also an issue with NT4 as well.
    For Win 98, and ME, there is a 512 mb barrier, if I remember correctly.
    Above this, they will not function properly.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg
    ===========

    "Tommy" <> wrote in message
    I have 933 p3 Intell. Asus CUSL2-C motherboard. I have 3 slots and 2 of the
    slots I have 256 ram in each slot( total 512) with only 1 left open. I
    wanted to put in a 64 ram or another 256, but when I started the computer it
    would increase the ram but it would not contiue to boot up. I tried to press
    delete to go to setup but it did not go. I took it out and everything worked
    fine as it was. it says in the manual the dimm must be 3.3 volts unbuffered
    sdram. It seems I cannot put in more than 512 combination the book says. Can
    this be possible?????. I am trying to have this go faster. It seems as

    Jerry G., Feb 20, 2004

  3. Tommy

    ICee Guest

    Tommy wrote:
    > I have 933 p3 Intell. Asus CUSL2-C motherboard. I have 3 slots and 2
    > of the slots I have 256 ram in each slot( total 512) with only 1 left
    > open. I wanted to put in a 64 ram or another 256, but when I started
    > the computer it would increase the ram but it would not contiue to
    > boot up. I tried to press delete to go to setup but it did not go. I
    > took it out and everything worked fine as it was. it says in the
    > manual the dimm must be 3.3 volts unbuffered sdram. It seems I cannot
    > put in more than 512 combination the book says. Can this be
    > possible?????. I am trying to have this go faster. It seems as though
    > it takes a little longer to start up some programs wen I press the
    > Iconss in XP pro, as when I had win 98 I was able to start up
    > faster.. Can anyone tell me about this asus ???Thanks in advance

    The maximum amount of memory you can have in the MB is 512 MB:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socket370/cusl2-c/overview.htm

    ICee, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Tommy

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:23:11 -0500, Jerry G. wrote:

    >You will have to change all the rams to be exactly matched for speed. The
    >best combination would probably be 3 X 128 in your case. If you are using
    >Win 98 or Win 95, or ME, you should not exceed 256 mb of ram, if you want to
    >have peak performance. I think there was also an issue with NT4 as well.
    >For Win 98, and ME, there is a 512 mb barrier, if I remember correctly.
    >Above this, they will not function properly.

    This isn't quite correct. As far as the "barrier," it can be broken - I've run
    98SE on this box, with 1.25gig of RAM, with no problems whatsoever. However,
    YMMV. This should explain, courtesy of Ron Martell:

    http://snipurl.com/4mf4
    http://snipurl.com/4mf6

    --
    What we need are a couple of good hangings.
    -- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam

    Mara, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Jerry G. wrote:

    >You will have to change all the rams to be exactly matched for speed. The
    >best combination would probably be 3 X 128 in your case. If you are using
    >Win 98 or Win 95, or ME, you should not exceed 256 mb of ram, if you want to
    >have peak performance. I think there was also an issue with NT4 as well.
    >For Win 98, and ME, there is a 512 mb barrier, if I remember correctly.
    >Above this, they will not function properly.

    Hello:
    I have installed 256Mb on a very old ASUS P/I P55T2P4. Win 98 boots OK,
    and will run minor apps (eg utils and accessories), However, whenever I
    attempt to run Write or Paint, the dreaded Blue Screen of Death! If I
    remove half the ram, all is OK. I have throttled the RAM speed in BIOS
    right back, but no difference. Cache makes no difference. I have even
    changed the Virtual Memory settings. All to no avail. (upgrading ROM
    plays havoc with my C drive)

    Any help?

    Cheers

    Barry Scuffham, Feb 22, 2004