ASUS motherboard and SATA + IDE drives?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I have just installed an ASUS NM2-E motherboard with Win2k and a Western
    Digital 250GB SATA-2 250GB disk and everything works fine, except when I try
    to use some IDE (FAT32) formatted disks from my old computer. (Win2k only
    recognizes 130GB out of the 250GB, I installed Win2k on a 20GB NTFS
    partition.)

    As long as I have no IDE drive connected, it all works fine, rebooting
    without any problems. But as soon as I connect an IDE disk, the system takes
    very long to boot up, obviously because there is something about the IDE
    disk it doesn't like.

    I tried formatting it with Win2k but it didn't work well and it ended with
    having to restart the system - and to reinstall the OS as well. This time,
    the OS reports that the unused (100GB) part of the HD needs to be formatted
    (FAT32) before proceeding.

    I have searched the manual and the BIOS but have not been able to find any
    clues for solving the IDE problem. What can it be?

    I have a number of removable IDE drives that I am using for backup.

    Rolf

    Rolf, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Rolf

    Shoo Guest

    Read up on 48bit LBA
    http://www.48bitlba.com/win2k.htm

    Shoo, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Rolf

    Frosty Guest

    As the sun rose on Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:02:23 +0200, the distinguished
    and oh so talented "Rolf" <> climbed up to the
    podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and shouted in a
    loud voice:

    >I have just installed an ASUS NM2-E motherboard with Win2k and a Western
    >Digital 250GB SATA-2 250GB disk and everything works fine, except when I try
    >to use some IDE (FAT32) formatted disks from my old computer. (Win2k only
    >recognizes 130GB out of the 250GB, I installed Win2k on a 20GB NTFS
    >partition.)
    >
    >As long as I have no IDE drive connected, it all works fine, rebooting
    >without any problems. But as soon as I connect an IDE disk, the system takes
    >very long to boot up, obviously because there is something about the IDE
    >disk it doesn't like.
    >
    >I tried formatting it with Win2k but it didn't work well and it ended with
    >having to restart the system - and to reinstall the OS as well. This time,
    >the OS reports that the unused (100GB) part of the HD needs to be formatted
    >(FAT32) before proceeding.
    >
    >I have searched the manual and the BIOS but have not been able to find any
    >clues for solving the IDE problem. What can it be?
    >
    >I have a number of removable IDE drives that I am using for backup.
    >
    >Rolf

    I had this problem with my similar system too.
    The only answer I could come up with was to get rid of the non-sata
    hds.

    Frosty, Sep 17, 2006