ASUS M2V (VIA K8T890 + Marvell 6121 SATA2)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by roman modic, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. roman modic

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    I've installed 64-bit Vista SP1 on PC with motherboard ASUS M2V:
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1171&l1=3&l2=101&l3=305

    OS works OK (PC has 3GB of DDR2), but there are two problems:

    1) Both Nero 7.11.10 and Nero 8.3.6 do not recognize SATA optical
    drive (Optiarc AD-7173S) which is connected to the VIA Serial ATA
    controller (0591). I can normally copy data from it. It also works
    OK on dual boot Windows XP SP3.

    BTW, I've also installed ImgBurn and when starting it returns:
    I/O Error! Device [0:0:0] (F:) (ATA)
    CDB: 12 00 00 00 60 00
    Interpretation: Inquiry
    Reason: The parameter is incorrect.

    InfraRecorder x64 does not work either :(

    2) Mobo has also SATA2 controller (Marvell 6121), but it seems
    that there are no 64-bit drivers with digital signature. The latest on
    ASUS site are "V1.0.2.15 beta 6" and Marvell do not offer newer
    on its website (there are only drivers for Yukon LAN adapters) :(

    Does anyone know the solution to the above two problesms?

    Thanks, ROman

    roman modic, Jul 21, 2008

  2. roman modic

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Roman,
    Some "optical" SATA issues can be fixed by setting the SATA mode (in BIOS)
    to "Native IDE", "Legacy IDE" or something like that.
    I had to switch from AHCI Mode for SATA to Native IDE and that fixed my
    burner problems.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 21, 2008

  3. roman modic

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Roman,
    > Some "optical" SATA issues can be fixed by setting the SATA mode (in BIOS)
    > to "Native IDE", "Legacy IDE" or something like that.
    > I had to switch from AHCI Mode for SATA to Native IDE and that fixed my
    > burner problems.
    > Carlos

    I can choose only SATA or RAID (I have the latest BIOS).
    The current setting is SATA. I doubt that RAID will work,
    but I'm going to try it.

    Thx, Roman

    roman modic, Jul 21, 2008
  4. roman modic

    Carlos Guest

    Roman,
    DON'T try RAID.
    It won't work with your optical drive!!!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 21, 2008
  5. A couple of years ago there was a web site that had a
    compatibility chart for SATA optical drives and I almost
    think VIA chips were one of the non-compatible chips; you
    could use a SATA optical drive to install an OS because of
    the chipset.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 21, 2008
  6. roman modic

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    I have not had good experiences with the VIA chipset mobos I used in the past.
    I am now using an AMD/ATI chipset based motherboard for the first time and I
    have also run into some troubles, though I could sort them out.
    My very best experiences have been with the NVIDIA chipset boards.
    No problems at all and its RAID is natively "seen" by Vista during the
    install process.
    Getting back to the SATA opticals...
    That's why I recommend to have an IDE optical at hand for bullet-proof Vista
    installs.
    Now this guy is having problems with his optical drive after the installation.
    Could it be that in the "Properties" of this device he has unchecked the
    mark for enable the burning properties of it?
    I cannot think of anything else.
    Or maybe a driver update from VIA (there was this web site they had called
    viaarena or something like that)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 21, 2008
  7. I made a typing error in my post. The last sentence should
    read "... could NOT use a SATA optical drive to install and
    os..." I tried looking for that info, but could find it. I
    do remember a lot of people had problems with optical drives
    on SATA ports at the time.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 21, 2008
  8. roman modic

    Carlos Guest

    I had already figured out the missing "not"
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 21, 2008
  9. roman modic

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Roman,
    > DON'T try RAID.

    Too late ... fortunately :)

    First, I reinstalled VIA SATA driver by deleting DVD and
    VIA controller from device manager and using driver from
    VIA Hyperion 5.18a (ViBusX64.sys and ViPrtX64.sys).
    DVD-RW still didn't appear in Nero.

    Second, I rebooted into BIOS and changed the setting
    "Serial ATA IDE Controller" to [RAID]. New setting named
    "Serial-ATA BOOTROM" appeared and I left it at [Enabled].

    At BIOS boot sequence, the following text now appears:
    I had to replace the SATA driver with VIA RAID driver (viamrx64.sys) and
    now Nero is properly working (DVD is recognized as SCSI device).

    Last, I've found valid Marvell 61xx SATA2 driver V1.2.0.20
    (mv614x.sys) at
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N32 WS Professional
    in the wrong (RAID) section ... BTW, there is also new
    RAID driver V1.2.0.57 (mv61xx.sys) at
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5Q WS
    but I use the non-RAID flavour because of the eSATA port.

    Regards, Roman

    roman modic, Aug 7, 2008
  10. roman modic

    roman modic Guest

    roman modic, Aug 7, 2008
  11. roman modic

    tjelka

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I had a same problem. I'm replaced broken optical ATA drive with newly purcased SATA and problem occured.

    Solved:

    uninstal all ide chanels
    uninstall all HD
    uninstall all optical

    restart

    finsh instalation of all that components, that occurs automaticly after windows boot up

    restart

    And that it's, worked for me. Drivers are "messed up"!

    And don't set raid for sata controler, that has no sense.

    tjelka, Jul 25, 2009